U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 10:12 AM

2,491 posts, read 1,253,079 times

Advertisements

On my dad side we have traced roots to Martha Washington, Patrick Henry and then I have some outlaw blood in me through the Cole Younger Brothers (they hung out with Jesse James).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 12:27 PM

2,572 posts, read 1,043,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Elizabeth Andrew Borden was a 6th cousin.......
Do your neighbors " shut the door and lock and latch it" ?

Old 04-06-2015, 05:58 AM

480 posts, read 335,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
...I have some outlaw blood in me through the Cole Younger Brothers (they hung out with Jesse James).
The Youngers were more than Frank and Jesse James' cohorts. They were their blood cousins. I've read a lot about the Youngers and the James families because I grew up about a mile from the Younger homestead in rural Missouri.

One of my distant cousins (not famous) was named Ballentine Munkirs in the 1870s. He lived about one miles from Frank and Jesse James' homestead near Kearney, Missouri. He was friends with Frank and Jesse James. In fact, after they robbed the Clay County Savings Bank in nearby Liberty, Missouri, the county sheriff arrested Ballentine and threw him in jail because he was a known friend/associate of Jesse James. The sheriff thought Ballentine was a part of the James gang. (He wasn't.) My cousin was mentioned in T.J. Stiles' marvelous biography "Jesse James: The Last Rebel of the Civil War." Jesse James: Last Rebel of the Civil War by T. J. Stiles | 9780375705588 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

Old 04-08-2015, 05:21 PM

595 posts, read 969,314 times
Farmers n soldiers no skeletons yet!

Old 06-26-2015, 05:39 AM

685 posts, read 406,262 times
Supposedly a descendant of the York family, the War of Roses one. York would be one of my family's surnames and this isn't some name that was "Anglicized" either, they're from England. Not sure on it but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true seeing as this York family is capable of quite the "antics". Not sure on the York family though, and I mean that in multiple ways.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:30 AM

166 posts, read 109,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
My mother's fifth cousin was David "Davy" Crockett. Do you have any Famous Ancestors?

Davy Crockett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've got a lot of famous ancestors. I'm related to the Plantegenets and related royal houses, George Washington is my second cousin, Daniel Boone is my first cousin, Robert E. Lee is my 4th cousin, I have connections to the Madison family, and many more

Last edited by dylanfurr246; 06-26-2015 at 09:42 AM..

Old 06-27-2015, 09:53 PM

3,633 posts, read 4,252,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan16 View Post
Supposedly a descendant of the York family, the War of Roses one. York would be one of my family's surnames and this isn't some name that was "Anglicized" either, they're from England. Not sure on it but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true seeing as this York family is capable of quite the "antics". Not sure on the York family though, and I mean that in multiple ways.
I have that name in my family tree, too, but not sure of their origin.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:41 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,591,739 times
My only claim to fame is my grandfather and uncle were pro baseball players. They did not make nearly as much money as the players today actually some MLB pro players can second jobs back in the day

Old 06-28-2015, 08:34 PM

27,996 posts, read 46,366,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Adam and Eve
Everybody in the world is related to Adam and Eve.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:25 PM

22 posts, read 18,200 times
My first cousin 9 times removed was Ute Perkins. Ute was the head of the notorious Perkins gang widely known in Virginia and Maryland, and used the aliases of John Bland, John Anderson, and James Anderson. So he was famous at the time, but not now.

Kenneth Scott's 1975 book, ABSTRACTS FROM BEN FRANKLIN'S PENNSYLVANIA GAZETTE, 1728-1748, on page 602, has:
BLAND, John (alias of Uttie Perkins), age c. 24--was committed to Phila. Gaol on suspicion of having two stone two horses and a Negro boy named Peter, age c. 10, from one Gistin, living at Poff Pon, S.C.; Nicholas, Scull, Sheriff of Phila. Co., stated that Bland is said to have been a noted horse-stealer in Virginia and South Carolina. (3 February)"

Karen Mauer Green's 1989 book MARYLAND GAZETTE 1727-1761 on p. 31:
"Tuesday, 17 February 1747, No. 95....Nicholas Scull, Sheriff at Philadelphia, has arrested a man called John Bland on suspicion of having stolen a Negro boy named Peter, property of a Mr. Giffen at Pon Pon in South Carolina. John Bland has confessed that his true name is Uttie Perkins and that sometime in May of 1743 he escaped from the sheriff of Baltimore County."

<U>Frederick Co. VA Records, Order Book 1</U>, p. 497, has:
"Adam Sherail being brought before the Court as a harbourer of Ute Perkins, a horse theif, and it appearing that the said Sheril is guilty of the same, it is Ordered that the Sheriff take the said Sheril into his custody until he enters into recognizance in the sum of One Hundred Pounds Sterling with good securities in the sum of fifty pounds sterling each, in case the said Sherrill shald not be of good behavior for a twelve month."

Maurice E. Perkins, "Genealogical Problems in Light of Contemporary Society," NATIONAL GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY, v. 7, pp. 64-5, says Ute was arrested February 1747/8 in Augusta Co. VA and his appeal was turned down March 16th; on March 17th, Patrick Finley was punished for letting him escape. While he was in Augusta Co. jail, Robert Cunningham entered a complaint that Samuel Gay had "indulged him several things" following his arrest. On March 17th, the same day Ute escaped, a horse was delivered to the sheriff which supposedly had been stolen by Ute, and the following day Samuel Gay was acquitted of the charge made against him. Two years later, property supposedly belonging to the Perkins gang was turned over to the sheriff. In 1751/2, John and Reuben Harrison claimed a reward for killing two persons under Ute Perkins.

The WILLIAMSBURG VIRGINIA GAZETTE indicated, in a story from Annapolis, Maryland, that on Friday May 21st, 1752, "James Powell was executed at the gallows near this city for a burglary and robbery committed some time ago in Somerset County...before his conviction he appeared bold and unconcerned...at the place of execution when death stared him in the face, he seemed concerned, owned the fact for which he was to die, and said, it had been rumor'd about that he was one of Perkin's Gang; but he denied that ever to his knowledge he had seen the man, or been without a hundred miles of his Haunts."

In August 1756 in Augusta Co. "Pleasants vs. Skillem.--Thomas Pleasants complains of Eliza Skillem (August, 1752), otherwise called Eliza Perkins, otherwise called Eliza Anderson. Plea: Plaintiff ought not to recover, because at time of making bond and at time of issuing process in this suit she was married to one John Anderson, alias Ute Perkins. Bond dated 1750. Replication states she was known as Eliza Skillem and denied being married. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or