U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 12:09 PM

51,225 posts, read 50,519,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
I think America is divided between those pre Civil War and then the Ellis Island brigade,
No. I have ancestors who came here in the 19th century from The Netherlands after the Civil War but before Ellis Island opened. Ever hear of Castle Garden? That's the place immigrants came through from 1820 to 1892, when Ellis Island opened. It's in The Battery at the southern tip of Manhattan.

The ancestors whose last name I bear came to the United States in 1863. Why emigrate to a country that's in the middle of a Civil War? The North was blocking cotton from getting to England, and my ancestors were cotton mill workers in Manchester. The mills were closing because there was no cotton, so they crossed the pond to work in the silk mills of Paterson, NJ, once known as Silk City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 01:55 PM

858 posts, read 748,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No. I have ancestors who came here in the 19th century from The Netherlands after the Civil War but before Ellis Island opened. Ever hear of Castle Garden? That's the place immigrants came through from 1820 to 1892, when Ellis Island opened. It's in The Battery at the southern tip of Manhattan.

The ancestors whose last name I bear came to the United States in 1863. Why emigrate to a country that's in the middle of a Civil War? The North was blocking cotton from getting to England, and my ancestors were cotton mill workers in Manchester. The mills were closing because there was no cotton, so they crossed the pond to work in the silk mills of Paterson, NJ, once known as Silk City.
Very true, the immigration history of the US is actually pretty diverse and though it may be easy to simplify it as pre-Civil War and Ellis Island "brigade" the reality is it was much more complex.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:10 AM

1,173 posts, read 730,481 times
Not really famous, but a great great aunt was on the Titanic, lifeboat number 6 (same as Molly Brown). She hid her dog under her coat when she boarded, that is what she is famous for. Her husband died. He was blood related to Dorothy Parker but I am related only by their marriage (to Ms. Parker).

Old 01-24-2016, 05:48 PM

2,454 posts, read 2,274,371 times
Just found out that I am distantly related to former speaker of the house Carl Albert (46th, and served from 1971-1977 under Nixon and Ford). His Great-Great Grandparents are my 5th Great-Grandparents (George Adam Frantz and Laurinda Steel).

According to a chart, that would make us "Third Cousins Three Times Removed."

Here is info about him:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Albert

Last edited by xboxmas; 01-24-2016 at 06:05 PM..

Old 01-24-2016, 07:32 PM

386 posts, read 382,307 times
Direct ancestors? No, not that I've discovered yet. I have one blood and at least one (possibly two) marriage connection to George Washington via the Ball family, which makes him something like my second cousin, seven times removed by blood, and something equally convoluted by marriage; I'd have to look it up again.

I'm a cousin however many times removed to a couple of governors of Kentucky.

OTOH, Tom Brady is my half-first cousin once removed by marriage. I don't like the Patriots one bit (and no, I've never met him)!

Old 01-25-2016, 09:33 PM

350 posts, read 197,024 times
I have at least a dozen lines of descent through The Plantagenets Kings including descent from 4 of King Edward III Sons. I am also descended from Henry VII and Edward IV.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:33 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,045,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
I have at least a dozen lines of descent through The Plantagenets Kings including descent from 4 of King Edward III Sons. I am also descended from Henry VII and Edward IV.

I bet you're also a candidate in the next presidential election

Old 01-26-2016, 05:35 AM

6,961 posts, read 12,378,519 times
My wife traced my family back to the Lord Mayor of London in the late 1600s. Miles Standish is also in my family tree and she found a copy of his last will and testament.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:50 AM

426 posts, read 257,281 times
Quite curious!!! In Europe, when we refer to "genealogy" we are referring to our ancestors, so far I followed them to 1720 and to 1370. Quite difficult when it comes to check church's records that were used before public registers. But nobody traces "race", you might find people from neighbouring countries but not considered as a race apart, which sounds quite absurd in a closely related population.

I also find quite funny, excuse me, when I find that somebody asserts that he/she is related with an ilustrious person. We are all related in Europe due to plagues and famines. European population has suffered several "extinction events" that removed most of the population, the most recent one were the plagues during the high middle ages. Only a handful of Europeans were left, many died of hunger.

So most Europeans are related with nobility, and parentage is very uncertain..and were are inbred, we all come from inbreds.

As to our DNA, after being invaded, mass raped, cut to pieces and our ancestors raped by our feudal lords, maids were regularly raped until quite recently and most of the nobility are bastards, including our king and all of them...What can we expect in Europe?

But anyways, people that moved to America went there to start a new world, most of them changed their name, changed their origin and decided to create a new society, and I find their interest in our roteen old world quite atavic, very human, but not what the ilustrated founders of America wanted.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:02 PM

386 posts, read 382,307 times
...and yet George Washington made it a point to have the Washington crest on everything, and make sure everyone knew he was gentry and not anything near a yeoman, which would be contradictory to what you say is against what the Founding Fathers intended. The Founding Fathers could be just as snobbish as any noble in any country. So what?

For us today, it's more of a matter of curiosity, a talking point, or an intellectual exercise. I know I don't expect anyone to bow and scrape to me because of my ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or