U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 02:59 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,156,503 times

Advertisements

I can trace my ancestry back to serfdom. Heck, someone had to do the work back then since it seems everyone else was a king, queen, duke, or duchess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 12:23 PM

8,159 posts, read 4,470,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving Arizona View Post
...and yet George Washington made it a point to have the Washington crest on everything, and make sure everyone knew he was gentry and not anything near a yeoman,

late 1600's i had a relative direct, that had a farm about three miles from georges daddys mt vernon, but no relation, maybe borrow a cup of sugar.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:36 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,626,037 times
Well, I guess my most famous ancestor, my great-great-great (actually, I don't know how many greats) I never knew his last name, but his first name was Adam. Maybe you've heard of him.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:36 PM

4,103 posts, read 4,019,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I can trace my ancestry back to serfdom. Heck, someone had to do the work back then since it seems everyone else was a king, queen, duke, or duchess.
There is probably a queen or duke in there somewhere. A lot of people dont have a complete grasp on genealogy over time and how many people we are talking about. Most of us only live long enough to see a couple generations of our children and cousins usually lose contact after a few generations. But If you use simplified figures ignoring death and war etc...if a King 25 generations ago had 2 kids, who then each had two kids, who each had two kids etc then by 25 generations youre talking about 33 million people. All technically "descended" from that king. So of course lots of people are descended from a monarch. Heck I was watching Finding My Roots last night and the comedian/actor Bill Hader is descended from Charlemagne.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:49 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 12 days ago)

14,426 posts, read 16,710,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No. I have ancestors who came here in the 19th century from The Netherlands after the Civil War but before Ellis Island opened. Ever hear of Castle Garden? That's the place immigrants came through from 1820 to 1892, when Ellis Island opened. It's in The Battery at the southern tip of Manhattan.

The ancestors whose last name I bear came to the United States in 1863. Why emigrate to a country that's in the middle of a Civil War? The North was blocking cotton from getting to England, and my ancestors were cotton mill workers in Manchester. The mills were closing because there was no cotton, so they crossed the pond to work in the silk mills of Paterson, NJ, once known as Silk City.
One of my gggrandfathers came from Northern Ireland before Ellis Island. So did the women who became my gggrandmother. He must have decided it was truely a one way trip, since he left a family in No. Ireland, apparently without intending to make further contact, and a few years later married another immigrant who arrived same place and year. I can't find the ships record for either so I don't know if he arrived with her. If your ancestors came prior to Ellis Island, its a hit or miss getting information on where they came from and when since there are a lot of missing ship records.

I have a tintype picture of them I found online. They *look* like the sorts you'd let have their own opinion since you wouldn't likely win the argument.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:54 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,279,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
One of my gggrandfathers came from Northern Ireland before Ellis Island. So did the women who became my gggrandmother. He must have decided it was truely a one way trip, since he left a family in No. Ireland, apparently without intending to make further contact, and a few years later married another immigrant who arrived same place and year. I can't find the ships record for either so I don't know if he arrived with her. If your ancestors came prior to Ellis Island, its a hit or miss getting information on where they came from and when since there are a lot of missing ship records.

I have a tintype picture of them I found online. They *look* like the sorts you'd let have their own opinion since you wouldn't likely win the argument.
Have you checked here? - http://www.castlegarden.org/

Old 01-27-2016, 08:15 PM

28 posts, read 19,739 times
Major General Henry Warner Slocum and Ben Franklin through marriage to his wife Deborah Read (Very distant cousin).

Old 01-28-2016, 04:39 AM

859 posts, read 751,959 times
An indirect connection I just discovered... a 2nd great aunt married a great grandson of Davy Crocket and a 3rd great aunt married a grandson of Davy Crocket. Apparently where two of my lines converge Bryant and Drake in Texas they met up with descendants of Davy Crocket and followed them to Oklahoma a couple years before it was a State and while it was still Indian territory.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:03 AM

450 posts, read 1,022,260 times
I know most of you are of European descendant and not as familiar with "famous" people who are of non-European background. I am Taiwanese-American (born in the US, but parents were born in Taiwan-so a second generation American). The furthest I have been actually trace back is 8 generations back. My father's side of the family has been in Taiwan for 8 generations. The first person from my father's side of the family moved to Taiwan from Longxi County (now Longwen District), Zhangzhou prefecture, Fujian Province, China to Taiwan. Thus, my estimate would say that was 200-225 years ago. This is per an "ancestry tablet" our family has and also we have a painting of my ancestry from my father's side of the family to move to Taiwan. He was a Qing Dynasty imperial military scholar. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qing_dynasty He had the military version of the "juren" 舉人 degree or called a "wujuren" 武舉人 See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperi...n#Degree_types and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperi...y_examinations I guess in the sense that own of my ancestor was a "wujuren" 武舉人would make him prominent.

According to a genealogist researching my genealogy (and it is actually mentioned on my ancestry tablet) descendant of Chen Yuanguang (Tan Goan-kong), a general and official during the Tang Dynasty in China. He lived between AD 657 to AD 711. I am not sure how reliable that is since I also discovered some inconsistencies in the genealogy which also shows I am descendant of a relative of him, but not directly. I think tracing that far back can be less reliable. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tan_Goan-kong

Old 02-21-2016, 09:46 PM

386 posts, read 383,050 times
Tonight, I found out that not only is Stonewall Jackson a cousin, so is Howard Hughes, the current Viscount de l'Isle, and Percy Bysshe Shelley.

All hail the Presley-Bysshe connections!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or