U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 03:43 PM

3,431 posts, read 2,749,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Ha! No one would believe that. Doing family history is like shooting back through time with a shotgun. If you're only hitting dullards, you may need to put down the .22 and pick up the 12 gauge. They're out there.
Ok, very remotely. My father's mother's line goes back to this guy:
François Joseph Savoie (1621 - 1678) - Genealogy

Legend has it, he was the illegitimate son of Tommaso Francesco Francois Savoia di Carignano (di Savoia), Prince of Carignano. His father was Charles Emmanuel I (di Savoia), a titular king of Cyprus and Jerusalem. Tomasso was also married to Marie de Bourbon-Soissons (of the royal Bourbon family).

So François was sent to the New World for reasons unknown (scandal? court plots?). And he was one of the founders of Acadia in the 1600s. All the Savoie/Savoys in Acadia, and Cajun country, are descended from François, as are many others with Acadian and Cajun ancestry.

There are Dion/Dionnes on my mother's side, so I've often wanted to sort out how distantly related we'd be to Celine Dion. The Dion/Dionnes are all descended from the same man who settled in Quebec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 08:13 PM

350 posts, read 196,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Doesn't everybody?!
No

Old 03-05-2016, 08:50 AM

386 posts, read 382,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
There are Dion/Dionnes on my mother's side, so I've often wanted to sort out how distantly related we'd be to Celine Dion. The Dion/Dionnes are all descended from the same man who settled in Quebec.
Or the Dionne quints, even though they were Canadian?

Old 03-05-2016, 09:36 AM

3,431 posts, read 2,749,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving Arizona View Post
Or the Dionne quints, even though they were Canadian?
Yes, it'd be all the Dions/Dionnes that are distantly related. The Dionne quints were born somewhere in northern Ontario, I believe.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:38 AM

171 posts, read 102,110 times
I'm related to John Adams and John Quincy Adams.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:32 PM

6,076 posts, read 10,736,139 times
Capt. Ralph Stewart, Revolutionary War Hero who served under Gen. Greene and General George Washington and was at Yorktown when Lord Cornwallis surrendered to Washington.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:25 PM

4,150 posts, read 2,157,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post

Actually I know quite a few folks (all American) who are not descended from anyone who passed through Ellis Island. All citizens of southeastern Massachusetts or Warrenton NC. There's a lot of folks in Plymouth County MA who are so settled that they had no ancestors who came here after 1700 and have multiple Mayflower ancestors. I know one woman who was descended from 14 Mayflower passengers. I'm familiar with many swamp yankees.

Speaking of Warrenton I suspect Sfbayboomer that your ancestor is Richard Warren. Grant and FDR being his presidential descendants and Alan Shepard his astronaut. And his descendant founded Warrenton NC.
Hi, you are right. I am Richard Warren's direct descendant on my paternal line.

And yes, I have no ancestors who ever passed through Ellis Island, as it was not even built.

Sorry to take so long to get back to this thread and reply to you.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:10 AM

479 posts, read 335,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
It very well known that Robert E. Lee is descended from Pocahontas. His ancestry like many other famous People and Historical figures have been very well researched and documented.

Seeing Pocahontas...

I have Sacagawea in my family tree. After the Lewis and Clark expedition, Sacagawea returned to Missouri and married one of my distant cousins, Toussaint Charbonneau. Their marriage record is in the archives of the archdiocese of St. Louis. They lived and died in the small town of Old Mines, Missouri. They are both buried somewhere in the churchyard of the town's 200-year-old St. Joachim Catholic Church. For the past 30 years historians have been trying to locate their exact burial spot. Their funerals and burials were recorded in the church's ledgers.

Old 05-07-2016, 02:45 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,034,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My turn--

Mary Queen of Scots on my maternal line
Then I owe you a belated (family) apology.... my ancestor imprisoned her

Old 05-07-2016, 03:45 PM

9,985 posts, read 6,379,372 times
yeah, a founder of Montreal, a famous Renaissance painter and an
explorer of Canada and Detroit.
but if I said the names I'd be revealing my last name so won't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or