U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 09:37 AM

9,589 posts, read 20,475,294 times

Advertisements

Supposedly one of my ancestors is Morgan Morgan who established the first permanent settlement in West Virginia. Morgantown is named for him. On the same branch I have some Lewis who are the namesake for Lewisburg Virginia. A lot of my ancestors were wealthy plantation owners in the Carolinas but seems like none were elite and famous. So I get nothing to brag about but slavery to feel guilty for lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 05:00 PM

2,956 posts, read 4,515,519 times
Not about an ancestor, but: I just found out a couple of days ago that I am the 2nd cousin 1R of a major-league baseball player from the 40's-50's (who is still living, so I will not name him), which I would never have known without a close DNA match to someone who is his 1st cousin. It turns out my great grandfather (a German immigrant who settled in NY) had another sister we didn't know about, who settled in Chicago before 1900. My DNA match and the baseball player are her descendants.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:03 PM

2,457 posts, read 2,277,140 times
Found another while doing my free trial on ancestry- Davy Crockett. He isn't a direct ancestor, but a distant cousin. His Great-Great Grandparents, Joseph Louis Crockett and Sarah Gilbert Stewart are my 8th Great-Grandparents. So that would make us 3rd cousins 6 times removed. I think if you look hard enough, you will find you are related to many famous figures- I have already found quite a few, if you look back on this thread.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:21 PM

2,457 posts, read 2,277,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Ixboxmas:

I was finally able to read through all the replies here. I was curious to see how many connections I could find and your reply caught my eye. I don't have all my data but I seem to recall that one of my Scruggs family members (in Alabama?) married a descendant of Valentine H. Hollingsworth .

At any rate, many years ago I came across an original edition of the 1884 book called Hollingsworth Genealogical Memoranda in the United States From 1682 To 1884 by William B. Hollingsworth and still have it in my personal library. Although I have the book in front of me, unfortunately the book is not indexed (at least my copy isn't) or I could find that connection.

I'm almost sure the text of this book can now be found online if you have not had the opportunity to review it.

Hope you get to see this message.
Very interesting! We must be related somehow.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:10 AM

9,589 posts, read 20,475,294 times
I haven't found a direct genealogy link but some of my wife's ancestors were neighbors with Daniel Boone and they interacted quite a bit.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:38 PM

1,515 posts, read 781,445 times
Yes I'm related to the 17th century poet Robert herrick who wrote gather Ye rosebuds while ye may.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:51 AM

30,358 posts, read 31,228,041 times
On my father's side supposedly my great-grandfather was a cousin of the famous German mathematician, Rudolf Lipschitz.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Lipschitz

Old 06-01-2016, 11:13 AM

14,411 posts, read 7,103,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Supposedly one of my ancestors is Morgan Morgan who established the first permanent settlement in West Virginia. Morgantown is named for him. On the same branch I have some Lewis who are the namesake for Lewisburg Virginia. A lot of my ancestors were wealthy plantation owners in the Carolinas but seems like none were elite and famous. So I get nothing to brag about but slavery to feel guilty for lol.

ON the bold, just wanted to note that black genealogist love it when the descendants of large plantation owning families know of any records that their family may have kept about their slaves. I actually have met online quite a few of the descendants of the persons who used to own my dad's family and they have been very helpful in my own research.

On the OP, I recently found out I am related to someone who integrated professional basketball back before the NBA. I just looked him up on a whim because in the city we are from practically any black person with his last name (Jones) was related to me. I have 2 lines of Jones families who were unrelated and who moved to the same city in mid to late 1800s. There were less than 1200 black people in the city prior to 1910 so basically any black people born in the city with one of 4-5 last names are related to me. I found this man via a random search of black people to write about on my blog and found out he was a distant cousin.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:29 PM

15,372 posts, read 25,596,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I haven't found a direct genealogy link but some of my wife's ancestors were neighbors with Daniel Boone and they interacted quite a bit.
LOL, It had been said my entire life that my grandmother, dad's mom, was a direct descendent of Daniel Boone which is likely since he and his wife had 10 kids. What is lesser known is that his brother and sister in law passed away leaving 4 kids. Daniel Boone and his wife adopted those four kids. I would like to take credit for finding the real story, but a friend from church helped me search census records. She did not know the connection. Now we know. LOL I can safely say, as far as the records are correct, I am a direct decendent of the brother of Daniel Boone.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:26 PM

4,163 posts, read 2,165,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
So, are you really proud that no one to whom you are related "ever passed through Ellis Island"?
Why not? I am proud that my ancestors were (nearly all) founding fathers and mothers of this country. Most came in the early 17th century, including the difficult journeys on the Mayflower and other ships which followed soon after. I have one fairly recent ancestor, but even she had arrived in time to marry and give birth to my Grandmother's older brother in the 1880's.

Ellis Island was not established until January 1, 1892.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 06-16-2016 at 09:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or