U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 07:28 PM

4,556 posts, read 2,046,279 times

Advertisements

Yes, but I'd rather not say...
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 07:50 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 22 days ago)

14,433 posts, read 16,760,004 times
I've been told I'm related to Sam Houston, but I don't know how. But both his family, the Suprgin's (or Spurgeon, as they used both) and both my grandmothers family and my grandfathers family lived for some time in Kentucky/Tennesse when it was where servants ran and others who prefered to make their own rules including my five x great grandfather after release from his owner. He was also notable in being one of the first official shipment of labor for sale from british prisons as bonded convict labor. Searching his family gets confusing because there were two brothers, and they named most of their kids the same names. They just changed the spelling of the last name to differenchiate between one James and another of the same age. So you could have two Jameses, one a Spurgin and one a Spurgeon, both sons of brothers, and the same age, living in the same small area.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:52 AM

14,507 posts, read 7,164,634 times
Recently discovered that one of my ancestors married the sister of Mary Shadd Cary who was a woman ahead of her time. She is not a direct ancestor/family member but I was super excited to find a connection to her! Many of my ancestors from the PA area that Mary Shadd also grew up in, moved to Canada. Mary Shadd was instrumental in pushing the movement of free black people to emigrate to Canada based on the threat of kidnapping into slavery and the fact that America did not respect the rights of free black people.

She is not all that well known outside of people who are really "into" history and especially of black American and black Canadian history. But she was a phenomenal woman and I was very thrilled to have a connection to her. She was the first woman to publish and edit her own newspaper, she was the only female recruiter of black soldiers during the US Civil War, and she was highly controversial due to her critique of other free black people prior to the Civil War who she felt were more concerned with appearances versus fighting for the rights of other men of our race. She was also a teacher and was the second black woman in America to pass the bar and become a lawyer (in her 60s!).

Mary Ann Shadd - Wikipedia

It is interesting to me that another of my family lines has a similar migratory pattern as the Shadd family. One of my maternal 4th great grandfathers was also born in Wilmington, DE; later moved to Chester County, PA; and then moved in the 1850s to SE Ontario Canada to the Elgin Settlement. I have not been able to find out a ton about this family line so will be going to SE Ontario Canada in the spring to visit a local black history museum there to see if I can find out more. They have genealogical files of many of the settlers. I am not all that great at Canadian research and this family stayed there the longest of any of my lines who emigrated to Canada between 1840 and 1860.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:54 PM

1,082 posts, read 942,945 times
None in my line. My cousin is married to a descendant of Jim Vance.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:24 AM

927 posts, read 1,333,698 times
I'm related to:
  • US President Zachary Taylor - he is my 6th great-grandfather
  • My 9th and 10th great-grandfathers were on the Mayflower
  • King Edward I is my 21st great-grandfather
  • George Washington is my 3rd cousin 8x removed
  • Benjamin Franklin is my 3rd cousin 10x removed
  • Mark Twain is my 5th cousin 4x removed
  • Theodore Roosevelt is my 6th cousin 4x removed
  • Harry S. Truman is my 6th cousin 3x removed

With the exception of Benjamin Franklin, all of these connections are through my mom's dad's maternal side, which is pretty fascinating to me. There are theories that all us Presidents are related. I wouldn't be too surprised, considering my ancestry. I feel like there's someone out there who may wanna do a study on my family. Haha.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:10 AM

6,952 posts, read 4,264,818 times
Giuseppe Garibaldi and William Brewster.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:14 PM

21,089 posts, read 33,079,911 times
William Makepeace Thackeray (my maternal g-grandmother was a Thackreray), William Faulkner (his mother and my paternal g-grandmother were sisters) and Lewis Grizzard (he was my g-grandmother's g-grand nephew and also related to William Faulkner). All writers, and my youngest daughter does have a prodigious writing talent!

Old 01-01-2017, 02:44 AM

2,827 posts, read 1,243,158 times
My mother would know much more than I, but apparently my grandmother was of House Stafford in England then through Canada and they have recorded the family history pretty far back. Someday I'll need to let my mother walk me through all they've got.

I remember as a kid we had a big meeting with the extended family relatives. We each wore a shirt depending on which family branch we stemmed from. There was something about an island in Canada that was getting resolved. Apparently my great grandfather's estate was almost totally taken by one of the siblings, and this was something to end a long-standing feud. At the time I recall asking if we were going to go live on an island, but was told to go play. The event rented this park, and we had exclusive access for the day, which was pretty fun for the kids.

On my father's side, I was named after my great grandfather that rose to local area importance on account of farming and later taking over some local banks. Having one of the first homes in the state with both indoor plumbing and electricity. However, what the Depression didn't wipe out was split between 12 children, and my paternal grandfather was always wary of credit. He did fine, but never wanted to expand. Alas, it wasn't my father that got that land.

Oh well. As they say, the rule of three generations...happy to be on the upswing, and I got a fortune in good parenting.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:22 AM

69,525 posts, read 79,802,013 times
Actually I do, but don't have the details: General Burnside was my grandfathers uncle or cousin, I am not sure which and dad is long gone so don't have anyone left that could fill us in with the true relationship.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:35 PM

1,837 posts, read 748,528 times
Default Notable folks in your family tree

I smiled when I came across this:

Hattie Mae White

I remember family talking about her when she passed away in the early 90s. I didn't think much back then since I never met her, but I didn't realize how important she was locally in Houston TX.

Moderator cut: edited when threads were merged

Last edited by in_newengland; 04-15-2017 at 08:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or