U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 03:32 PM

10,494 posts, read 10,067,507 times

Advertisements

Well I just recently found out that my 37th great grandfather is Charlemagne Charles "The Great" King of The Roly Roman Empire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 03:00 AM

2,453 posts, read 2,272,111 times
My 10th Great Grandfather was Valentine Hollingsworth(no that is not my surname in case people were gonna try to track me down ). Here is a quote about him. He "was one of the earliest settlers of Brandywine Hundred in northern New Castle County, Delaware and a founder of the Hollingsworth family in America." He was a Quaker and one of the signers of William Penn's Great Charter. Some info here: Valentine Hollingsworth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a link to a pic of his tombstone. http://nc-chap.org/church/quaker/hollingsworth.jpg

Also my Great-Great Grandmother(or maybe it was 3 times great) was a cousin of sorts with Jesse James. Not sure if it was 1st or 2nd cousin. But apparently he came over for dinner once.

Our family is also rumored to be related to reformer Martin Luther, but we are unable to confirm this.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:56 AM

22 posts, read 18,173 times
My 6th great grandfather, Robert Biggen Perkins, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. His great-great-grandson Brigham Young Perkins claims, "My second great grandfather, Robert Biggin Perkins, was born in Old Virginia about the year 1735. He was the son of Richard and wife. He married Betta Lollar. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. At one time, just as he was bringing his gun down on a Tory to fire, a musket ball came and shot the lock off his gun, leaving him otherwise unhurt."

On 11 January 1765 he was called to trial for having stolen two horses and a gelding from the Cherokee allies, but apparently got away with it. (But my 1st cousin 9 times removed Ute Perkins was the head of the notorious Perkins gang widely known in Virginia and Maryland.)

My great-great-great grandfather John Tyner served as a Colonel in the 47th Regiment Indiana Militia.

My great-great-grandfather Leander Goodwin fought as a Yankee in the Battle of Chickamauga and the Battle of Nashville, among others. My great-great-grandfather Edward Leavell, also a Yankee, died of chronic diarrhea in a swamp at Millkenís Bend, Louisiana; his wife received $12/month pension.

My father, Burl Leavell, fought in the Pacific in the Air Force in World War II.

So as far as I know, the closest I come to fame are various soldiers, and some horse thieves.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:32 PM

6,233 posts, read 18,119,501 times
I am told we are related to this guy but I haven't figured out yet where he joins the family.

William Clark (explorer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-18-2015, 09:05 PM

858 posts, read 747,628 times
Despite a british royal connection (after having disproved at least 10+ supposed ones I found online I finally found a legitimate one that was ironically now highly used, some connections hidden behind a first wife situation).

President Thomas Jefferson is a 1st cousin (many times removed). My ancestor was Judith Jefferson (married to George Farrar which is and connects to a network of southern aristocracy families and the Farrar line leads up to noble and royal descent, to Edward III through Lionel of Antwerp) and she was the aunt of Thomas Jefferson, my ancestor being Thomas Jefferson the president's grandfather.

Richard Nixon is a 6th cousin 2-3x removed (ironically also 7th cousin 2x removed through the same shared ancestors a second time since he has double descent). Despite some horrible flaws in Richard Nixon he did have some very good things about him, he came from humble beginnings and really despised all the wealth in politics and he often went against his party to support poor supporting initiatives like health care reform.

The link is through quaker ancestors John Hussey and Ann Inskeep. Through this line we both descend from Rev Stephen Bachiler who wasn't a famous person but a minor historical figure in New England. Through that ancestor I also have a distant cousin relation to a couple others:

9th cousin to Herald Ford
8th cousin to Christopher Lloyd
8th cousin to Mitt Romney (ugh lol)
unsure how far but Sir Winston Churchill is a cousin through Bachiler

Through a related line to the Bachiler connection is ancestor named Thomas Perkins and through that I have many famous cousins as well though quite distant:

9th cousin to Franklin D Roosevelt
9th cousin to Millard Fillmore (13th US President)
9th cousin to the Pillsbury founder
9th cousin to J P Morgan
10th cousin to Christopher Reeve
10th cousin to Halle Berry

Chances aren't too bad if any other posters here have deep American roots we probably are cousins and you might very well share these one or more of these same ancestors.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:20 PM

2,064 posts, read 2,736,215 times
my cousins:
Sunset Carson (1940s western movie actor) Sunset Carson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mary Todd Lincoln Mary Todd Lincoln - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there are rumors that i'm related to Quanah Parker, mom is trying to find the connection:
Quanah Parker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

& i am officially a DAR
Daughters of the American Revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-19-2015, 02:14 AM

697 posts, read 855,770 times
My mother is a direct descendant of one Stephen Bachiler, one of the founding fathers of Hampton, New Hampshire. He was also a prominent minister in the Puritan Massachusetts Colony in the 1630s-1640s.
My grandmother was a direct descendant of Samuel Wright, who was one of the earliest settlers of Northampton, Massachusetts and for a time was the town's minister. This same grandmother, through her father was descended from a well known Union Colonel in the Civil War--he was also largely responsible for getting the railroad to pass through Kansas City, thus making it the principal town in Missouri on the river by the 1870s.
Hmm...there's more but these I find pretty interesting

---another man on my mother's side, while not especially famous, was more locally so: He was jailed for about seven years for producing large amounts of counterfeit paper currency in Vermont (in that era local and state banks printed their own notes; Federal "greenbacks" did not come into being until about 1860).

Old 01-19-2015, 08:19 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,034,062 times
On my mother's side we are related to Anne Boleyn, wife #2 of Henry VIII. Her paternal grandmother, Lady---, is a cousin to my g.....grandmother. It was her marriage to Henry that got the King excommunicated and so he took over the Church of England and it became a Protestant nation. Anne and Henry's daughter was Elizabeth I. So I guess I was destined to move to Raleigh NC from the UK, LOL!

Also on my mother's side, we had family who were landed gentry who often hosted the Stuarts, and who lost their manors and were hanged in the town center as they were Jacobites fighting to restore the Stuarts (James II) to the throne and have England return to Roman Catholicism.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:00 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
I don't ;haven't really done a search.My bother in laws great grandfather was Edward Everett who a spoke before Lincoln at Gettysburg. He had quite a career that comes up on line search by name. On my mother's side there are relatives listed in Sons of the American Revolution. Funny; because the family bible has long history of names etc;just never bothered.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:28 PM

5,146 posts, read 2,992,030 times
My uncle shot the motion picture of a contemporary historical event that I would guess nearly everyone in the United States has seen multiple times. Few would recognize his name and all would recognize the event.

The event has been commemorated in postal stamps, newsreels, sculpture and several historical and biographical books.

Semper Fi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or