Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 02:12 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am related to Jesse James through my mother's father's family line.

I am also related to Robert "King" Carter - which makes me related to all sorts of interesting people.

I am a direct descendant of Nicholas Martiau, the first emigrant ancestor of George Washington. He was French, and built the fortifications that saved Jamestown from being decimated by the native Americans of the region. He was also a prominent city planner and architect for Yorktown, Virginia.

Several of my ancestors held positions in the Williamsburg, Virginia House of Burgesses during the early years of Virginia.

I am related to the Plantagenet royal family in England.

One of my ancestors, John Willis, sailed with Captain Cooke on the Endeavor.

My great uncle, Joy Houck, Sr. was an early (1930s and 1940s) movie producer and theater owner. He worked with many early film stars. His son, my cousin Joy Houck, Jr. also produced several (very stupid) movies and starred or played a role in a wide variety of movies and TV shows.
Cousin!! I'm also kin to Jesse James, through his mother's side - he came from "nice folks", and Mama tried with those boys...sigh.

My people were also in the House of Burgesses, way back when. And some claim Plantagenet ancestry as well (but isn't half the population of Europe descended from the Plantagenets??). Though an Irish line, we descend from the High Kings, or so DNA says.

My g-g-grandfather's first cousin owned a gold mine - does that count? Of course, he went broke, moved far away and his family told everyone he had died. Nope, he just started a new life as a farmer on the frontier...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 06:33 PM

393 posts, read 1,496,646 times
Not a direct ancestor, but my great-grand uncle was Dr. Pedro Corpion Caula, a Cuban ambassador for over 30 years.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
I have a great uncle who won a superbowl with the eagles....this was back in the 50s, so I think it might've not been the superbowl, but the championship....but, then again, supposedly he had a superbowl ring that I've never seen.

Don't even remember his name, his nickname though was "wrong way earnie..." (apparently he ran the wrong way once trying to avoid a tackle..lol)

Guy died relatively recently, too.

I have distant relatives in politics, even today.

Last edited by dub dub II; 11-25-2012 at 08:46 PM..

Old 11-26-2012, 05:20 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
My great-grandmothers 2nd cousin.

Robert Falcon Scott - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-29-2012, 02:35 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Ben Franklin is a direct ancestor through my mother's side. Other then that, not many famous people who are related, although I have two family members who were on the SS Eastland, a whole host of family members who lived in Langtry Texas. Apparently my g-g-grand father threatened to shoot Judge Roy Bean if he didn't reverse one of his "judicial" decisions regarding a boy who had been accused of stealing a horse. Even more surprising, Bean actually backed down.

My wife's family is more interesting, she's descended from Hungarian Royalty, and has a highly placed Nazi Party member as as her grandfather's second cousin.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:15 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post

My people were also in the House of Burgesses, way back when. And some claim Plantagenet ancestry as well (but isn't half the population of Europe descended from the Plantagenets??).
Yes. A large proportion of Americans are, too - as I'm sure you know, a number of prominent emmigrants from England in colonial days were younger sons of noble families; they all had smatterings or more of Plantagenet blood. Nearly all of us of Anglo descent can claim royal blood.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:18 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Yes. A large proportion of Americans are, too - as I'm sure you know, a number of prominent emmigrants from England in colonial days were younger sons of noble families; they all had smatterings or more of Plantagenet blood. Nearly all of us of Anglo descent can claim royal blood.
That's not really true. I know my state's history pretty well and the elites such as the Randolphs, Byrds and Lees were mainly from the merchant class. Most nobility came over temporarily and went back without leaving any progeny. Just look at our early presidents who came from elite VA backgrounds. None were descended from emigrant nobility.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:27 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,358 times
Six gun Maggie.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:52 PM

80 posts, read 218,665 times
@ CAVA1990: eh I don't know about that. My fam. is pretty much 100% (with one exception) colonial stock and almost all came into Virginia, and just using my own genealogy as an example there seems to be a fair amount of "second sons" from noble families. Many of them were the cavaliers who supported King Charles in the English Civil War and so were rewarded with land in Virginia. There were many merchants as well.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:05 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakalena View Post
@ CAVA1990: eh I don't know about that. My fam. is pretty much 100% (with one exception) colonial stock and almost all came into Virginia, and just using my own genealogy as an example there seems to be a fair amount of "second sons" from noble families. Many of them were the cavaliers who supported King Charles in the English Civil War and so were rewarded with land in Virginia. There were many merchants as well.
Do you have examples? I had some in my tree that were purported to be but further research showed they were not. They just had the same name. There's a lot of bad VA genealogy. People here really wanted to believe they were blue bloods.

In fact, lack of ties to nobility amongst the VA gentry is likely one major reason why there were so few tories here during the revolution compared to some of the other colonies.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 12-02-2012 at 04:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy