U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 04:46 AM

74 posts, read 109,832 times

Advertisements

So, traveling across the state, or to another state, gaining access to the county records room (usually in some dusty lower floor) isn't required anymore thanks to Ancestry.com.

Turning pages of dusty birth/marriage/death records is now passe. Just pay a couple of dollars, and sit in your chair at the computer, and Wha-La!

Good luck with that method.

I never would have found the article of my Gr-grandfather's death had I not gone to the library to research old microfiche articles.

Ancestry sure didn't have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 12:13 PM

21,566 posts, read 26,190,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
So, traveling across the state, or to another state, gaining access to the county records room (usually in some dusty lower floor) isn't required anymore thanks to Ancestry.com.

Turning pages of dusty birth/marriage/death records is now passe. Just pay a couple of dollars, and sit in your chair at the computer, and Wha-La!

I never would have found the article of my Gr-grandfather's death had I not gone to the library to research old microfiche articles.

Most of us use Ancestry.com and trek to libraries, court houses and archives. They are not mutually exclusive.

Without Ancestry.com I would not have ever met a cousin who has generously shared her in depth research on the shared branches of our family, including at least one picture from the early nineteenth century. She lives in CA and I live in GA. Through other online sites, such as Rootsweb, I have met other cousins who also shared info and photos.

Most of what I know about hubby's family comes from internet sources. He comes from NY.

If you live a thousand miles from the primary sources, it is difficult --- and expensive --- to get to them.

I would not expect Ancestry.com to have everything, but I do appreciate what it and other internet sites do provide. Without them, I would probably not be able to find out much at all past about three generations.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 AM

6,415 posts, read 10,051,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post

Nobody said that Ancestry has everything.

But I can promise you that, for myself, living on the west coast, and having had ancestors that touched in almost every state ... I have spent way more money traveling to libraries and archives than I could ever spend subscribing to Ancestry. And I have found much more information on Ancestry (and other internet sites) than I could have ever found in those libraries and archives.

Was it everything? Of course not. But neither was the other method.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:53 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,245,653 times
I haven't had to use Ancestry. I get by with Missouri Secretary of State sites and familysearch and findagrave. I have had help from relatives who already researched this, though. I have had people look stuff up on Ancestry.

Ancestry.com is a great source, but I'm not sure why it has to cost so much.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 14 days ago)

14,430 posts, read 16,720,100 times
I just don't have the money to travel to libraries. Ancestry is not all that expensive in comparison. I found pictures of all my great aunts and uncles I grew up with there, and the ones I had were lost during a move, so that was wonderful. And I like doing more general searches and see what turns up. One one, which unfortunately I didn't save (it was 4am, thought I did) I found the 'Disbersment form' for the ship my five x great grandfather sailed here on as a convict in 1719. He and his brother and his future wife are all there, with the name, location and date they were sold to. This was amazing. I will keep looking for it again, though I have found other sources.

For those of us who can't go to libraries (I depend on rides, can't afford a car) its invaluable. I've looked at family search, but the information which is corrected on ancesty is not on that site. Ancestry has a lot more corroberation than that site as well.

Not having a car and being home a lot, I find the small amount I spend on online sources of things more than pays for itself in the end.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:21 PM
bjh

26,260 posts, read 22,820,621 times
Even before the internet I did research with microfilm and books, phone calls, faxes, with interlibrary loans if needed. Genealogy hasn't required travel in long time. It's an enhancement, nice to do if you have the time and resources, but not necessary.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:53 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,876,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Oddly enough, I chose Ancestry to host my family tree BECAUSE it was a for profit web site and appeared to be doing very well as a business. I wanted to store my family tree on a site which had the best likelihood to be around for generations to come.
I would have said the Mormons then.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:02 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,876,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
...snipped...Did you read the nasty comments at the end of the article? Some people are clueless and rude. They say to do your research at the LDS--any genealogist knows that most of their records are only second hand and not to be relied upon....snipped...
bolding is mine. I have used many LDS records and most are scanned. God knows I have looked through enough microfisched records in my time. My genealogy friend with a lot of time on her hands, uses them almost exclusively and, this is all she does all day is genealogy. She also has done a lot of the scanning and input of records as a volunteer. Why do they have the largest genealogy library in the world ?

Old 01-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 14 days ago)

14,430 posts, read 16,720,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I would have said the Mormons then.
I have problems with the motivation for keeping geneological records from the Mormon Church. I consider it inappropriate and wrong. For that reason I don't choose to use their site. I've done an occasional search, but never seen anything not also found on Ancestry.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:32 AM

3,676 posts, read 2,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I've done an occasional search, but never seen anything not also found on Ancestry.
Try finding 17th century German birth records on Ancestry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy