U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 6 days ago)

14,422 posts, read 16,686,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Try finding 17th century German birth records on Ancestry!
I did find a few British ones, from the village records. Interestingly the hardest to find for me are immigration records in the 1800's predating Ellis Island. People got of the boat and dissapeared into the town. Shipping ledgers were often lost over time. Somewhere out there is a grandfather who came from England and eventually became husband number two, same last name as husband number one, to my great grandmother. Unfortunately his last name is Smith. That's where the big hole lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 04:23 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I have problems with the motivation for keeping geneological records from the Mormon Church. I consider it inappropriate and wrong. For that reason I don't choose to use their site. I've done an occasional search, but never seen anything not also found on Ancestry.
Unless one really believes the LDS is going to put their spell on your dead relatives, I cannot imagine not using them for one's own purposes. I cannot imagine believing in that religious humbug, but if you do I suppose you have to run away as fast as you can.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:11 AM

9,985 posts, read 6,383,652 times
Well, I did a little research on who is Permira. It may be a jump
to suppose their European roots could somehow open up international
doors and expand their database.
Until the Catholic church (and post-Reformation, the Protestant
denominations) put their vast documents online, it's moot to me,
because although I've tracked one famous ancestor to the 1400s,
all the other chains end about 150 years ago, prior records
are only extant as parish documents. It was the
Church which maintained birth, baptismal, marriage, death, even
in some cases the only real estate records.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:37 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,866,353 times
Quote:
I have problems with the motivation for keeping geneological records from the Mormon Church. I consider it inappropriate and wrong. For that reason I don't choose to use their site. I've done an occasional search, but never seen anything not also found on Ancestry.
I was speaking with my research friend today and mentioned this thread. Her husbands family is from the Germanic countries (I can't remember which) but she was able to to go online at LDS and view the original church records from that area from the 1600's. They are all digitized. The only complaint she has is that the individual items are scanned in and there is no indexing, which they hope to accomplish at a later date. Now, they are just trying to get all of these records captured before they are destroyed or are lost. For example, such as the records in the Georgia archives, the Florida archives and one of the finest libraries in the SE is in Bartow, Fl. They no longer have the money or the will to keeping funding these kinds of things and the collections may be (some will be) broken up and scattered. I give the LDS credit for trying and I appreciate their efforts and whatever nefarious reasons they may have. Once the records are gone, they are gone.

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, I believe there is a deliberate effort to undermine our American heritage, such as records of our ancestors lives, the battlefields, etc, in order to break the bonds all of us Americans share. This is to effectively Balkanize us and weaken us as a country if our common bonds are broken. (i.e., illegal and legal immigration).

Old 01-12-2013, 02:08 PM

17,997 posts, read 17,150,498 times
befriend
2,787 posts, read 1,324,499 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland
...snipped...Did you read the nasty comments at the end of the article? Some people are clueless and rude. They say to do your research at the LDS--any genealogist knows that most of their records are only second hand and not to be relied upon....snipped...

bolding is mine. I have used many LDS records and most are scanned. God knows I have looked through enough microfisched records in my time. My genealogy friend with a lot of time on her hands, uses them almost exclusively and, this is all she does all day is genealogy. She also has done a lot of the scanning and input of records as a volunteer. Why do they have the largest genealogy library in the world ?

Unless things have changed (and maybe they have) a lot of the LDS records are put in there by anyone and are not verified. I've found lots of mistakes. The only records you can believe are the ones that were actually scanned from original sources.

They have the largest genealogy library in the world because they pray our ancestors into heaven. It's not for the purpose of providing family history, although that's a side effect and it's good PR.

I've been using Ancestry UK and US for about 6 months now and it provides a handy place to store my information and I can get verifications easily from their census and other data. I like to have at least two citations so Ancestry has often provided the second one in addition to my original.

I'm going to have to join the worldwide Ancestry -- but I think I can do it just for a month -- I need verification of some ancestors in Quebec and one month on Ancestry will be cheaper than writing to Quebec for all the birth certificates and census records.

I also found a copy of my grandparent's marriage certificate on Ancestry. I used to have it but it got lost in moving. So Ancestry is pretty good even though I was against it at first and I do think it's kind of expensive. In the long run it's saving me money and it sure saves a lot of time and money traveling.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:36 PM

3,675 posts, read 2,484,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I need verification of some ancestors in Quebec and one month on Ancestry will be cheaper than writing to Quebec for all the birth certificates and census records.
This is a free source for the 1901 and 1911 Canada Censuses, as well as the 1852 Census: Automated Genealogy

Sometimes I have had more success searching the censuses there than on Ancestry, and sometimes the reverse has been true. The 1911 Census microfilm quality seems particularly bad, resulting in different spelling interpretations of names.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:50 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,866,353 times
Any "trees" that are posted on Ancestry or LDS or only as good as the information that someone put there. No difference between the two entities. As someone said, if you are only looking to mine data from someone's personal tree, then you have a problem either way.

I was speaking of the information, not on someone's tree, that is being scanned into the LDS database from the original documents. How else are they getting it ? I think you may be confusing the data that has come from original sources and someones personal tree.

My friend paid an overseas researcher to research parish records on her DH's ancestors (Germanic state-1600's)) and he sent her what he could find. She subsequently found at a later date that LDS had scanned the records from that parish and had them on line for free.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:37 PM

74 posts, read 109,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Nobody said that Ancestry has everything.

But I can promise you that, for myself, living on the west coast, and having had ancestors that touched in almost every state ... I have spent way more money traveling to libraries and archives than I could ever spend subscribing to Ancestry. And I have found much more information on Ancestry (and other internet sites) than I could have ever found in those libraries and archives.

Was it everything? Of course not. But neither was the other method.
Agreed. I've used Rootsweb for many years, but it was eventually eaten up by its' "sister" organization, Ancestry. Please forgive my bias, but I cannot tell you the amount of times I was lured into "find your ancestors birth records here," only to be sent to the "PLEASE PAY HERE" screen.

And then, Ancestry sells out to a foreign entity? It just doesn't ring well with me.

I've use all methods in my research, but corporate conglomerate controlled access just tweaks my toe nails.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:42 PM

74 posts, read 109,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Any "trees" that are posted on Ancestry or LDS or only as good as the information that someone put there. No difference between the two entities. As someone said, if you are only looking to mine data from someone's personal tree, then you have a problem either way.

I was speaking of the information, not on someone's tree, that is being scanned into the LDS database from the original documents. How else are they getting it ? I think you may be confusing the data that has come from original sources and someones personal tree.

My friend paid an overseas researcher to research parish records on her DH's ancestors (Germanic state-1600's)) and he sent her what he could find. She subsequently found at a later date that LDS had scanned the records from that parish and had them on line for free.
Ditto. Unverified data finds itself into Ancestry/Rootsweb Family Trees as well as LDS data banks. I've always lived by using two or three sources to 'verify' any findings I dug up. They are both good places for leads, but one always verify.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,226,894 times
Quote:
I just don't have the money to travel to libraries. Ancestry is not all that expensive in comparison. I found pictures of all my great aunts and uncles I grew up with there, and the ones I had were lost during a move, so that was wonderful. And I like doing more general searches and see what turns up. One one, which unfortunately I didn't save (it was 4am, thought I did) I found the 'Disbersment form' for the ship my five x great grandfather sailed here on as a convict in 1719. He and his brother and his future wife are all there, with the name, location and date they were sold to. This was amazing. I will keep looking for it again, though I have found other sources.

For those of us who can't go to libraries (I depend on rides, can't afford a car) its invaluable. I've looked at family search, but the information which is corrected on ancesty is not on that site. Ancestry has a lot more corroberation than that site as well.

Not having a car and being home a lot, I find the small amount I spend on online sources of things more than pays for itself in the end.
You can search on Ancestry without paying, but if you want to look at anything you have to sign up and pay for it. In most of my searches, Ancestry was no more help than familysearch, findagrave, and Missouri Secretary of State site. Being that most of my family is from Missouri helps. Few states have as many online resources as Missouri does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy