U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:35 AM

23 posts, read 37,388 times

Advertisements

Wow. Who knew all my dead ancestors were worth so much?

Ancestry.com to be sold for $1.6 billion - Oct. 22, 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 04:48 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,863,520 times
Just read this. Not sure what to think. And all that work, put in by other people, what will happen now ? I am sure fees will go up. When they do, they will lose a lot of people.

First the Georgia Archives and now Ancestry. What next ? We still have the Mormon services, which are great. But, oh dear.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:58 AM
bjh

26,057 posts, read 22,775,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Just read this. Not sure what to think. And all that work, put in by other people, what will happen now ? I am sure fees will go up. When they do, they will lose a lot of people.

First the Georgia Archives and now Ancestry. What next ? We still have the Mormon services, which are great. But, oh dear.
There is some hope.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/19/us...-aid.html?_r=0

Be sure to sign the online petition someone posted earlier. They still need 2600 signers. Here it is:
https://www.change.org/petitions/the...-to-the-public

Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 AM

74 posts, read 109,698 times
Ancestry.com sold for $1.6 billion

I never really liked Ancestry.com. When I began family research (c. 2003), there were many FREE research sites available.

Ancestry.com's web site was always slow and clunky (family trees and message boards). Their bait-n-hook ads to do family research, resulted in "PAY $$$ TO GET MORE INFO" really angered me.

So, I started using Rootsweb, the daughter site of Ancestry.com. It was much faster, FREE, and had more available resources (SSDI).

Then, Rootsweb's SSDI disappeared. Also, other FREE web sites I used either closed, or became minions of Ancestry.com.

Finally, Texas research sites, which had the most open FREE research resources available, were reduced to information only prior to 1920's.

I suspect this was due to Ancestry.com's lobbying efforts.

Now, all that stored data is in the hands of a European overseer. That could be good, or it could be detrimental.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:25 AM

3,673 posts, read 2,481,389 times
Oddly enough, I chose Ancestry to host my family tree BECAUSE it was a for profit web site and appeared to be doing very well as a business. I wanted to store my family tree on a site which had the best likelihood to be around for generations to come.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:40 AM

17,983 posts, read 17,131,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Oddly enough, I chose Ancestry to host my family tree BECAUSE it was a for profit web site and appeared to be doing very well as a business. I wanted to store my family tree on a site which had the best likelihood to be around for generations to come.
Same here. I had already typed a lot of it into other programs but I wanted something online that would stay there, that I could easily share with others. Once I get some more typed in I'm going to send for the printed version and that will be something to hang onto forever. Where else could you get something with photos and notes and citations, etc. all in book format. For free, I like getting to print out trees to look at while I'm doing research.

Did you read the nasty comments at the end of the article? Some people are clueless and rude. They say to do your research at the LDS--any genealogist knows that most of their records are only second hand and not to be relied upon. Then they say we get fake info in ancestry---well, yah, if you glop off other people's trees but not if you use the access to records. It's so much easier than sending away for records or having to travel around the country. A lot cheaper too.

Some other rude fool said that it's a waste of time but a genealogist answered that at least they don't waste their time playing video games; they would rather do research. Good answer.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:14 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,563,902 times
Yeah, I pointed out in another thread that I was able to find a photo of my great-grandmother (something no one in our family has seen before) through ancestry.com, along with tons of other info. For me, it's been well worth the price. I don't begrudge them turning a profit on such a valuable service. As far as accuracy of info, it's up to each person to make sure they are doing their due diligence before taking stuff from other members at face value.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,087,640 times
I started in genealogy LBC (Long Before Computers) and when Ancestry came on I resented paying for "public records", then one day, BINGO , the light came on. Then I said to myself "hey dumb , which do you prefer, sitting comfortably at home on the computer or spending time, gas, postage, and phone calls to all over the country?" Easy answer, I have been a "world wide" subscriber for several years. And I have found that getting "bad" info from Ancestry (and other genealogy sites) is no more than getting "bad" info from family and others. Even depending on family history will come back and bite you in the .

And as far as them being sold; So what? It's a for profit business for Pete's sake, not a public service .

Old 01-05-2013, 01:49 PM

7,215 posts, read 7,563,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I started in genealogy LBC (Long Before Computers) and when Ancestry came on I resented paying for "public records", then one day, BINGO , the light came on. Then I said to myself "hey dumb , which do you prefer, sitting comfortably at home on the computer or spending time, gas, postage, and phone calls to all over the country?" Easy answer, I have been a "world wide" subscriber for several years. And I have found that getting "bad" info from Ancestry (and other genealogy sites) is no more than getting "bad" info from family and others. Even depending on family history will come back and bite you in the .

And as far as them being sold; So what? It's a for profit business for Pete's sake, not a public service .
You have it right on getting bad info from family or other sources. A letter from a great aunt I have, had the dates of her parents' deaths completely wrong (probably just a foggy memory through old age). I figured it out through death records from the state of Illinois, which I of course found through ancestry.com.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:28 PM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

It seems a bit early to bewail the sale of Ancestry.com. I couldn't find where the new owners had published their plans or if they intended any change in the way it operates. It seems premature to assume the worst of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy