U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 08:20 PM

8,216 posts, read 12,800,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
On PBS' Antique Roadshow (which I had never seen before until today) someone had a family heirloom of a Revolutionary War era portrait of a solder painted on ivory about the size of 1 inch by 2 inches or so. Since these portraits from the late 1700s are relatively rare, and it was in great shape, it was priced at 50-75K.

It was similar to this portrait I found in Google but a bit more basic in appearance.
Wow, I wonder if the large oil painting of my ancestor is worth anything. I think it was early 1800s, not late 1700s, and it isn't of a soldier but it's not too far off that time period and it's very large, and may be in the original frame. It does have a tear in it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 11:34 AM

1,868 posts, read 6,768,906 times
My great great great grandparents from my mother's paternal
great grandparents from father side.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:32 PM

506 posts, read 414,006 times
I have several.

Here are a few:

My great great great great great (I have no idea how many great's - he's from the late 1300's)) grandfather from my mother's side:

My great great grandfather from my father's side:

My great great great grandfather from my father's side as well:

My great great great great great great grandfather from my mother's side:

Lot others around but i'd need to take pictures

Old 09-24-2014, 07:20 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,980,315 times
These are marvellous! A real treasure trove! I bet someone in every family was a talented illustrator and/or painter and probably did many of these, but they were lost to time.

What strikes me, even when looking at depictions of people from nearly 700 years ago, is that they don't look exceptionally "different" from the way people today look. Of course the (supposed) Royal British line and others like it certainly added a flourish or a back-in-the-day photoshop to enhance what was thought to be handsome or beautiful for the times, but in general, people haven't changed that much throughout at least the last 1,000 years or so. Most were shorter, but then Queen Elizabeth I was quite tall, so all shapes and sizes lived, walked around, had bad moods, laughed, and probably didn't get along with one or two of their relatives -- just like us.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:27 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,980,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
This is a picture of my maternal grandmother's mother which had always hung on the wall of Granny's home. When she died we took it and found it had become dirty and with some water stains. I took it to a professional restorer and she did a wonderful job on it but could never determine if the picture was a detail drawing or a "colorized" portrait. I really don't care because it is priceless and the only likeness we have of her. The restorer made several prints and also put it on a CD. I suspect it was made in the mid 19th century.
This is exceptionally good. Did she or her family live in or have descendants in north Florida, by any chance? I just noticed her (married) name, and it's particular to a certain area there and two "adopted grandparents" I knew and loved very much.

The detail around the neckline looks almost Oriental; I don't recall seeing that style in America during those times. It's so fascinating. I just wish we could "dial them up" and talk to them, or at least watch them go about their day. I would give just about anything to meet them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or