U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 07:52 PM

38,677 posts, read 45,030,920 times

Advertisements

Here is a policy that is followed by most cenmeteries, taken from Arlington Cemetery photographing policy:

Photographs on this site are in the public domain unless a copyright is indicated. Only public domain photos can be reproduced without permission. Citation of this source is appreciated. Permission to reproduce copyrighted photos must be sought from the original source.

Photographs that are designated as print-quality have been reproduced specifically for print production to produce a quality product, but the Arlington National Cemetery does not take responsibility for the end-user's results. Other photographs included here may or may not produce a quality product when printed.

Any original photographs taken while at Arlington National Cemetery do not require a release from Arlington or the Department of the Army. Photographers may keep and use photographs they have taken as they wish.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 09:27 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,000,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
How about all of those little abandoned family plots that you come across back in the woods?

What constitutes ownership? I'd have to call a bloomin surveyor in some cases.

Actually, this sparks some wondering about who is making sure that long paid for plots stay safe. How many old cemeteries are slowly fading away into the landscape?
These old grave yards are owned by somebody somewhere. If not the county owns them in default. So if it's info you seek on an old grave yard the county seat is where go.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:29 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,000,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Here is a policy that is followed by most cenmeteries, taken from Arlington Cemetery photographing policy:

Photographs on this site are in the public domain unless a copyright is indicated. Only public domain photos can be reproduced without permission. Citation of this source is appreciated. Permission to reproduce copyrighted photos must be sought from the original source.

Photographs that are designated as print-quality have been reproduced specifically for print production to produce a quality product, but the Arlington National Cemetery does not take responsibility for the end-user's results. Other photographs included here may or may not produce a quality product when printed.

Any original photographs taken while at Arlington National Cemetery do not require a release from Arlington or the Department of the Army. Photographers may keep and use photographs they have taken as they wish.
Please note that this info applies only to the "Arlington National Cemetery" and not to other cemeteries in general.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,740,442 times
I found a photo of my brother's marker on the Find A Grave web site. He died 3 days after his birth in 1966. I am very grateful that a stranger took the time to acknowledge my brother's brief existence.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:32 AM

38,677 posts, read 45,030,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Please note that this info applies only to the "Arlington National Cemetery" and not to other cemeteries in general.
It's a guideline that most cemeteries follow.

Cemeteries, unless posted no trespassing are public domain. Public domain is any type of work designated for public use that is not copyrighted. Graves cannot be copyrighted. Anything over 75 years old cannot be copyrighted, none of ancestral value.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:28 AM
bjh

26,094 posts, read 22,780,245 times
What a bunch of crap! What would possess anyone to be an uptight ******* about whether people can take photos of the graves of loved ones for themselves or anyone else.

It's not like they have any commercial value.

Click away. To hell with anyone who tries to control the process.

Here's a helpful hint to naive people: don't borrow trouble. That means don't bring trouble on yourself by being a pedantic little ****.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:35 AM

3,869 posts, read 12,502,193 times
The thing that does not make it trespassing is that it is a business that is OPEN to the public.
Unless it has signage stating other wise no permission is needed

Quote:
You've been very lucky.....so far. Graveyards are NOT public domain and as such require permission to even step foot on the grounds.

The right way photograph in a cemetery is to find either the sexton or the caretaker and get permission to photograph the grounds. Failing to do that means you are trespassing and get into a real jam if some damage is found after you visit even if you didn't do any damage.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,228,573 times
Quote:
Absurd or not if you trespass on ANY grave yard you better be willing to run in to legal trouble...........
And the last person convicted of this horrific crime was .................

And according to the website for the local 87 acre cemetery "Riverside Cemetery is not just a place where families come to visit a friend or a loved one. It is a place of beauty - a place where you can walk, take photographs, paint and visit the grave sites of prominent writers Thomas Wolfe and O. Henry."

Last edited by Asheville Native; 11-03-2012 at 10:09 AM..

Old 11-03-2012, 10:57 AM

9,666 posts, read 7,638,989 times
My understanding is that common law permits free access to cemeteries to the descendents of those buried there, regardless of whether or not the cemetery is public, private, family, easily accessed or hidden away deep in the woods or on a remote mountaintop. I am unaware of any legal cases concerning cemetery photography, but have read of several cases in which the owners of the land surrounding old family cemeteries attempted to block access by descendents. In each case, the landowners lost and were told to not only allow such access, but to unlock gates and unblock roads and paths to facilitate access.

I, too, have found faraway graves and monuments of a number of my ancestors online, not only on Find a Grave but also on church websites. I am very grateful to finally get to see the final resting places of those who came before me. In each case, the websites have been very respectful, and I view their work as a public service.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:09 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,088,918 times
I think all this must be taken in proper context. As a hobby I locate and document with a 12+ page report with field and topo maps, photos, GPS location, description, and some times census, and send all to the Arkansas Archeological Survey to be entered into a data base at the University of Arkansas - Fayetteville. My friend and I have traveled all over Arkansas doing this in large, and unknown cemeteries and have been challenged only one time, and that was by a poaching deer hunter.

And there is a law in Arkansas that states access must be permitted to visit any cemetery. Even if it is in a farmers cow pasture, behind locked gates, he must let you in if you ask. But a little common sense and courtesy is a given. Ask, don't demand and quote the law. It'll work every time. As a former property owner, if I was asked I would help as soon as possible, but if I was told, I would comply, but at my own sweet time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy