U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:31 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,848,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I'm interested in getting one of these done. Has anyone ever got this done? If so where? and how affordable was it?
My husband did one when he was tracing his family tree...it was free to him. The person in charge of the project was sending them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 08:11 PM

469 posts, read 2,520,566 times
There's a few different kinds of DNA tests. One will determine the percentage of your ancestry is African, Native American, etc. These are only really useful if there's some uncertainty about a recent ancestor's ethnicity within the last couple of hundred years.

There's also a Y Chromosome test for males, which will tell you what your father's father's father's father etc. Y Chromosome was. This is useful for surname studies, since you can match your results to people with the same surname and same Y Chromosome.

Mtdna is inherited from the mother's mother's mother etc. It will show you what your direct matrilineal ancestresses' mtDNA was. This is somewhat less useful than the Y chromosome because women's surnames changed in the course of their lives.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:13 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,496,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I'm interested in getting one of these done. Has anyone ever got this done? If so where? and how affordable was it?
gtldna.com
174 bucks.
just did it. good idea.
people lie a lot this is better.
i did not come over on the mayflower.
never happened.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:17 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,654,941 times
My DNA kits arrived (one for each side of my heritage) and I am in the process of doing the cheek swabs

Old 11-01-2009, 07:11 AM

15,710 posts, read 34,758,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
gtldna.com
174 bucks.
just did it. good idea.
people lie a lot this is better.
i did not come over on the mayflower.
never happened.
haha...that is what one of my lines says on ancestry.com, that I basically have lineage that came over on the Mayflower...as well as going back to King Henry and William the Conqueror, etc.!

Old 11-07-2009, 01:17 PM

7,843 posts, read 11,162,358 times
I read an article about this somewhere in the past couple of years. Discover magazine? A writer decided to write an article about it and so of course got 3 free tests from 3 different companies all who had some sort of different slant to their results. It was really interesting but also made me realize that there are a lot of different companies with a lot of different focus'es on what they can look for - up to you to decide. I wanted to do it but since I tend to be indecisive it suddenly became too many options

Old 11-08-2009, 05:18 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,482,543 times
I'm sure it's all changed now. We did it about 8 years ago when 12 markers cost about $100. They keep the records on file. If you want to extend it out to 24 markers it was another $90 I think. We passed because the 12 we got did not even come close to the hundreds of others with the same last name. We were not even in the same Haplo group.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:48 PM
bjh

26,260 posts, read 22,820,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
I'm definitely going to order a kit for myself. I know my ancestry includes Hawaiian, Chinese, Filipino, Spanish, Basque, Cuban, Puerto Rican and French lines, so it will be interesting to see them mapped out. I just wish they could trace my father's line also. I gather that test is only for males.

I'm going to order a kit for my brother as well. He was adopted at birth also and has been trying to find out information on his ethnicity and his birthparents.
Females can check their male lineage with their father or a brother with the same father or a male cousin whose father (her uncle) is the blood brother of her father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy