U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 05:46 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,315,773 times

Advertisements

Nope, just like I wouldn't consider someone who was 1/32nd black, black or someone who was 1/32nd Latino, Latino. It should be at least 50%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 06:01 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,280,411 times
Personally, it might depend on whether or not he looks at least somewhat Native American.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:19 AM

394 posts, read 1,296,052 times
I think the only person whose opinion matters is the person him/herself. What right does someone else have to tell him/her what he/she is or isn't?

Old 11-02-2013, 02:46 AM

442 posts, read 463,718 times
How closely he identifies himself as Native American we'll probably never know. If he's just 1/32, then he probably

identifies closer to another ethnicity. Unless... he was raised very Indian. Meaning Indian culture played a huge part in his life.

In that case, for all due purposes, he'd be much more than 1/32

Old 11-02-2013, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
it's bloody ridiculous if you ask me.
I am 1/16 Mohawk which is twice as Indian
as this scammer. They do it for the benefits,
whatever those are. SCAM.
Who is he scamming? Who is he trying to pull the wool over on?

Are you saying he isn't rightly, and legally entitled to the benefits he gets?

Old 11-02-2013, 03:23 AM

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...GUI/101103039/
It seems many here don't really understand the legal contracts, via Treaties. Here's a portion of the article above

This scenario is true for all Americans, except American Indians. We are the only population in the country that is born with a legal right to healthcare services. This is based on treaties (contracts between the tribal nations and the federal government), laws, executive decisions and other legal bases in which the tribes exchanged vast amounts of land and natural resources for several social services-including housing, education and healthcare.

This is why we have a Bureau of Indian Affairs and Indian Health Service – the agencies that carry out the federal government's trust responsibility to provide these services.

The United States has become a wealthy and powerful nation based primarily on its natural resources. These resources are American Indian resources, and we did not lose them in a war. We exchanged them for social services, including healthcare. From this perspective, we have the largest pre-paid health plan in history. Unfortunately, the Indian Health Service is significantly underfunded. The result is that even though we have a legal right to healthcare, we do not have access to the level of services needed to keep our populations healthy.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
That is a very correct statement.
I also think what people are dancing around but not saying outright...or just perhaps confusing is being considered Native American vs the legal/financial definition of same which *cough* entitles some who can meet tribal blood quantity (usually set at one quarter) to "per capitas" paid by the tribe...out of gaming funds in our local tribes.

The Wisconsin Oneidas are large, rich and powerful and well organized yet in 2012 paid only $1,700 to each member. This drops to a ridiculous $1,000 in 2014! The Potawatomi, smaller but believing in sustaining community growth rather than hoarding resources corporate-style and rewarding lavishly from the top, trickle down style, gave each member $80,000. That was not a typo and it is also NOT FEDERAL MONEY as many mistakenly believe.

Me? I am so white I practically glow in the dark...but anyone with an operating conscience realizes the mass genocide, displacement and repeated broken promises, among other atrocities too dark for forum chat, visited upon the native peoples of this continent by "good Christian men" was in no way good or within any Gospel teachings I'm aware of. It continues to this day in the form of ignorance and bigotry.

If the tribes did not allow marriage/recognize as members the children of members with non Native American mates everyone in and out of the tribe would (rightly) scream discrimination. Too much exists on both sides already. So obviously, if you know ANY math, you see it takes a very short time to get to 1/32. Here's another secret...it's the same with anyone from just about anywhere who thinks they are discrete percentages of any heritage. We are all mutts. War happens. So do far more pleasant engagements.

I promise future posts will be more concise. Hot button disengaged...

CT
Armchair Cultural Anthropologist
Real Biomedical Scientist

Old 11-21-2014, 01:07 AM

2,319 posts, read 1,980,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
The Current Chief of the Cherokee Nation is Bill John Baker and he is only 1/32nd native american. Is this enough to really identity yourself as a native american?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
someone told you they were only 1/32nd native american but identified as a native american would you find that strange at all?
Yes. I don't understand this obsession.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:29 AM

9,693 posts, read 5,275,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
No one alive today, or for quite some time, stole land or had land stolen from them.
Not exactly true, particularly to the second part of your statement. Land theft through shady dealings continued into the early/first third of the 1930s (perhaps longer) for many, including some of the Ottawa lands in Michigan.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:48 AM

9,999 posts, read 4,220,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Nope, just like I wouldn't consider someone who was 1/32nd black, black or someone who was 1/32nd Latino, Latino. It should be at least 50%.
My heritage is in quarters.

Am I an alien???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or