U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 08:44 AM

269 posts, read 425,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_WM View Post
According to what I read, her test results claim she is 56% SSA. That is not a big difference and is still more than half. I agree with the rest of what you said. You have discerning eyesight.
I stand corrected. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 06:04 PM

722 posts, read 834,646 times
Default 1/32 Native American, Native American?

personally I dont consider any mixed breed a Native American, unless they at least 3/4 Native American

1/32 is ridiculous

Old 11-05-2015, 06:38 PM

22 posts, read 23,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post
I stand corrected. Thank you.
The “correction” was over a very minor point. Actually, I think you made a brilliant observation about Vanessa Williams' "discernible SSA features.” My previous comment was not intended as criticism; quite the contrary.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:20 AM

12,921 posts, read 6,467,168 times
No, I really wouldn't. Assuming the other 31/32 of their ancestry was of 1 particular race, I'd just consider them that. Someone who's 97% European, 3% Native American is just white to me.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:26 AM

12,921 posts, read 6,467,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
personally I dont consider any mixed breed a Native American, unless they at least 3/4 Native American

1/32 is ridiculous
That seems arbitrary to me. I think if someone has at least 1 Native American parent, they'd be Native American enough. When you're half & half, your identity can kind of go either way, in my view. But it also depends on physical features: if you look more like one side than the other, that's what you'll probably identity as. Someone who's half white, half Native would probably look and identify more with the latter in most cases.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:24 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,359,704 times
There is no degree of blood requirement to be enrolled in the Cherokee tribe. This is their own rule. Seen from that perspective, 1/32 is actually quite a lot. I would say it doesn't matter what I or any other non-Cherokee thinks. If his tribe accepts him, he's Cherokee.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:32 AM

4,106 posts, read 3,444,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
There is no degree of blood requirement to be enrolled in the Cherokee tribe. This is their own rule. Seen from that perspective, 1/32 is actually quite a lot. I would say it doesn't matter what I or any other non-Cherokee thinks. If his tribe accepts him, he's Cherokee.
Exactly. Indian nations are sovereign. And they can determine membership however they wish as well as change methodology at any time. They are also highly politicized units.

My observations are that one nation might want many enrolled members so it can influence congressional voting. While another does not because it would reduce that nation's per capital payments. Some give per caps to all members while others give them to rez residents only. Some nations are wealthy due to gambling & natural resources revenues and regularly distribute payments to members. While other wealthy nations use the revenue for community based operation. And some nations are so poor they have only federal grants as "revenue".

There are many nations and many situations.

A statistically high unemployment poverty ridden per residence reservation could have a large revenue stream at the nation level which does not reach each individual member.

Membership can be fiscal rather than heritage based.
There can be large federal grants awarded that actually benefit individual members rather than the nation. The nations I am familiar with are clan driven. Whichever clan (an interrelated family group) is in power gets the majority benefit of nation revenues. That is why election results can create a big shift in direction of resources plus the usual charges filed of malfeasance against the outgoing regime.

As far as appearances that can be misleading, rez houses that are dilapidated likely belong to the nation tribal housing authority and are provided to resident--who does not put maintenance of any sort into them. I have driven by innumerable perfectly nice new houses & watched them literally disintegrate and be abandoned within a few short years.

Places that are privately owned within the rez I am most familiar with are typically very well maintained.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:25 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I know a brother and sister who are 1/2 Navajo, born and raised on the rez and speak Navajo as their first language. Although they don't look full blood Navajo, no one would ever mistake them for Europeans either. In fact, most would not know they are half White at all.

I would definitely consider them Native American. To me, culture is the most important part. A full blooded Native American adopted by Germans and raised in Germany is not as 'Native American' as a 1/4 blooded Native raised on the rez with traditional culture.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:05 AM

10,236 posts, read 13,518,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
The Current Chief of the Cherokee Nation is Bill John Baker and he is only 1/32nd native american. Is this enough to really identity yourself as a native american?

If someone told you they were only 1/32nd native american but identified as a native american would you find that strange at all?

Yes, I would find it very strange, especially if that person has a higher percentage of something else. But I don't know what the Cherokee Nation's range is.

I have about that much Irish in me, but do not consider myself Irish at all.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:03 AM

375 posts, read 923,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Yes, I would find it very strange, especially if that person has a higher percentage of something else. But I don't know what the Cherokee Nation's range is.

I have about that much Irish in me, but do not consider myself Irish at all.
Thought exercise: If you were born in Ireland, had Irish citizenship, were raised Irish, all four of your grandparents considered themselves Irish, you spoke Gaelic, celebrated Irish holidays and traditions, belonged to an Irish church, were active in Irish culture and politics but were ethnically 1/32 Irish do you think you'd consider yourself Irish? Because that would be a fair comparison to a lot of Cherokee citizens with a 1/32 blood quantum.

Cherokee nation in Oklahoma has no minimum blood quantum, just requires an ancestor listed as "Cherokee by blood" on the Dawes roll, to the best of my knowledge the lowest blood quantum of an enrolled member is currently 1/8192, 1/32 is about average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or