U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 10:16 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,360,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
You realize the tribe you literally said he is not of is one that doesn't have a blood quantum requirement and he is in fact a recognized member of the Cherokee tribe (and the Chief lol). You are provably wrong.
Thanks for setting the record straight. I'm amazing by the foolishness I read on here at times. Posters writing as if they know what they are talking about, only to post something completely wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 12:45 PM

269 posts, read 434,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicturtle View Post
So if you can get the specific tribe to acknowledge you, then you are good to go for the government? Interesting to know, thanks.
If you can document your pedigree to a registered American Indian to a specific federal tribe (can only enroll with one), you can obtain a Certified Degree of Indian Blood card (CDIB card). Doesn't mean you will be able to enroll with the tribe. This means you show an unbroken lineage to the said ancestors of that tribe to receive that card, then you can apply with the tribe if you have the proper blood quanta requirement.
If you have generations of ancestors who have never enrolled or were never recognized as American Indians, you will need to do the grunt work showing their connection to the registered tribal member. If the spans a few generations can be very difficult especially going back to a 3rd, 4th, or 5th grandparent. You need their birth certificates, if you cannot obtain them, don't proceed. You need to prove you are related to those people by blood and they are all related to the American Indian ancestor you are claiming. Many tribes, enrollment is closed to people over the age of 18. Unless someone was adopted, a straggler coming along claiming to be related to someone in a tribe, most likely are not after the genealogy is deeply scrutinized. Most tribes members have been enrolled for many generations.

The Cherokee Nation will allow you to enroll via evidence of the Dawes, they do not use your blood quanta as criteria. However most of the hundreds of people who try to register claiming to be from this tribe now in Oklahoma can never prove their lineage or show their claimed fullblooded Cherokee grandmother or great grandmother is not found on any Cherokee census/roll.

Last edited by AppalachianGumbo; 12-25-2015 at 12:59 PM..

Old 12-25-2015, 01:24 PM

920 posts, read 604,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicturtle View Post
So if you can get the specific tribe to acknowledge you, then you are good to go for the government? Interesting to know, thanks.
Good to go? go where? is there a benefit involved here? Otherwise I am not sure why anyone would involve themselves into getting verified by the government otherwise.

Most Native Americans get nothing. Nada

Old 12-25-2015, 01:26 PM

920 posts, read 604,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Eyon View Post
Federal guidlines state that if you are 1/8 of some ethic background you can put that down.
You usually cannot. Its a hell of alot of work to PROVE it , there are certified rolls one must be on in order to be acknowledged this or that. Is it worth it? What do you get? 90% of the time, nothing.
Depends upon your tribe, how poor or rich they are. And the majority are dirt poor

Old 12-25-2015, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 980 times
I dont consider him to be native american but he might be connected to that culture throught his family's story.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:13 PM

1,509 posts, read 933,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
No, I really wouldn't. Assuming the other 31/32 of their ancestry was of 1 particular race, I'd just consider them that. Someone who's 97% European, 3% Native American is just white to me.
The historical Cherokees were both an ethnic group and a cultural group. For example, I think the Cherokee unit fighting for the confederacy in North Carolina was commanded by an officer who was racially white, but culturally Cherokee. There is a roughly similar group in Canada known as Metis.

Though I onve heard a native American from an Arizona tribe ridicule the lenient Cherokee tribal membership rules (which vary as there are three recognized Cherokee tribes), I figure that they are their tribes and their rules. I consider any person who is a registered tribal member of a federally recognized tribe to be Native American regardless of their blood percentage.

I also consider a few others to be Native American as well such as three people whom I have known who obviously had significant Native American background, though they self identified as Hispanic, black and white respectively on a day to day basis.

As for the people I have met who look like regular white guys and gals. but claim to be unregistered Cherokees, I don't affirm nor dispute their claims.

Last edited by Cryptic; 01-07-2016 at 09:31 PM..

Old 01-10-2016, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Great, Great grandmother full-blooded Cherokee 100%
great grandmother 1/2 Cherokee
Grandfather 1/4 Cherokee
Father 1/8 Cherokee
me 1/16 Cherokee
My children are 1/32 Cherokee
I have been unable to find any documentation on the great-grandmother so I cannot prove this but it is information handed down in the family. I am still looking.

I looked this up when I discovered our heritage and my Grandfather should have been called Native American but he was not. After 1/4 you can choose whether to be called Native American or white is what I think I remember finding out.

Black Americans have the one drop rule and if there is one drop of black blood they are still considered black.

The first time I visited the Cherokee Indian Reservation years ago I found that I looked more like a Native American than some of the store owners did. You have to be Native American in order to do business on the reservation or you did back then. Things change and I don't know what the rules are now.

What is really funny is that my grandfather was as white as chalk and my father and sister have reddish skin. I got the jet black hair but my mothers Irish skin. Our granddaughter has red hair. Genealogy is really a fun thing to do.
My family imcludes Northern, Western, and Eastern European, West Asian, Native American, South Pacific, etc; Therefore, I do not claim any one ethic group. Thank you for sharing and I do agree that "Black American had to adopt the "One-drop rule" becuase of state laws.

According to the Virginia state's 20th-century "one-drop rule" under the 1924 Racial Integrity Act. This defined a person as legally "colored" (black) for classification and legal purposes if the individual had any African ancestry. Social acceptance and identification were historically the key to classification.

Although the Virginia legislature increased restrictions on free blacks following the Nat Turner Rebellion of 1831, it refrained from establishing a one-drop rule. When a proposal was made by Travis H. Eppes and debated in 1853, representatives realized that such a rule could adversely affect whites, as they were aware of generations of interracial relationships.

During the debate, a person wrote to the Charlottesville newspaper:

"If a one-drop rule were adopted, I doubt not, if many who are reputed to be white, and are in fact so, do not in a very short time find themselves instead of being elevated, reduced by the judgment of a court of competent jurisdiction, to the level of a free negro."(4)

The state legislators agreed. No such law was passed until 1924

Jim Crow laws reached their greatest influence during the decades from 1910 to 1930. Among them were hypodescent laws, defining as black anyone with any black ancestry, or with a very small portion of black ancestry.(4) Tennessee adopted such a "one-drop" statute in 1910, and Louisiana soon followed. Then Texas and Arkansas in 1911, Mississippi in 1917, North Carolina in 1923, Virginia in 1924, Alabama and Georgia in 1927, and Oklahoma in 1931. During this same period, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and Utah retained their old "blood fraction" statutes de jure, but amended these fractions (one-sixteenth, one-thirty-second) to be equivalent to one-drop de facto.

Through the 1940s, Walter Plecker of Virginia(1) and Naomi Drake of Louisiana(2) had an outsized influence. As the Registrar of Statistics, Plecker insisted on labeling mixed-race families of European-African ancestry as black. In 1924, Plecker wrote, "Two races as materially divergent as the White and Negro, in morals, mental powers, and cultural fitness, cannot live in close contact without injury to the higher." In the 1930s and 1940s, Plecker directed offices under his authority to change vital records and reclassify certain families as black (or colored) (without notifying them) after Virginia established a binary system under its Racial Integrity Act of 1924. He also classified people as black who had formerly self-identified as Indian. When the United States Supreme Court struck down Virginia's law prohibiting inter-racial marriage in Loving v. Virginia (1967), it also declared Plecker's Virginia Racial Integrity Act and the one-drop rule unconstitutional.

Many people in the U.S., among various ethnic groups, continue to have their own concepts related to the one-drop ideas. They may still consider those multiracial individuals with any African ancestry to be black, or at least non-white (if the person has other minority ancestry), unless the person explicitly identifies as white. On the other hand, the Black Power Movement and some leaders within the black community also claimed as black those persons with any visible African ancestry, to extend their political base and regardless of how those people self-identified. In the late 20th and early 21st century, writers such as A.D. Powell, who is multiracial, consider such "claiming" to be another kind of one-drop rule, which ignores people's life experiences, their community, and how they choose to identify themselves.(3) The number of self-identified multi-racial people in the US is increasing.

References:
1. the Plecker story, see J. Douglas Smith, "The Campaign for Racial Purity and the Erosion of Paternalism in Virginia, 19221930: 'Nominally White, Biologically Mixed, and Legally Negro'", Journal of Southern History 68, no. 1 (2002): 65106.
2. Drake, see Virginia R. Dominguez, White by Definition: Social Classification in Creole Louisiana (New Brunswick NJ: Rutgers University, 1986).

3. A.D. Powell, Passing for Who You Really Are, Palm Coast, 2005, ISBN 0-939479-22-2.

4. Conrad P. Kottak, "What is hypodescent?", Human Diversity and "Race", Cultural Anthropology, Online Learning, McGraw Hill, accessed 21 April 2010

Old 06-15-2017, 02:03 AM

2 posts, read 819 times
Default Native American

Hi I just found out I have 1/3 of native american is that enough to claim benefits in san diego,calif

Old 06-19-2017, 10:51 AM

8,278 posts, read 12,914,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyHawk View Post
Hi I just found out I have 1/3 of native american is that enough to claim benefits in san diego,calif
My understanding is that you have to be a card holding member of a tribe to receive benefits, and most tribes don't accept a DNA ethnicity report as eligibility for membership, because the DNA test can not be as specific as what tribe you're from. So you would need to research your tree and find the names and tribes of your Native American ancestors, and join the correct tribe based on your research.

That said, I noticed in your other topic that you said you are not 1/3 Native American but rather only 3%. 1/3 = 33%, not 3%. I am assuming 3% is not a typo, since based on your other percentages of 58% Asia East and 27% Polynesian, if you were also 33% Native American, that would total 118%, which is not possible.

You might also want to read this, which explains that NA benefits really aren't any different from the social benefits available to the rest of the country: https://www.quora.com/What-benefits-...ative-American

Old 06-24-2017, 01:00 PM

904 posts, read 478,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
The Current Chief of the Cherokee Nation is Bill John Baker and he is only 1/32nd native american. Is this enough to really identity yourself as a native american?

If someone told you they were only 1/32nd native american but identified as a native american would you find that strange at all?
i AM 1/16th Chippewa and some lesser fraction of Huron. I am a member of a chippewa tribe, but not culturally aligned to them (and get no benefits, but I have a BIA card), since I was ignorant of this fact until I was an adult. For purposes of cultural identity, some tribes elect to allow "half-breeds" and lesser mixes to become members of the tribe. Non-natives may also be adopted by the tribe but this does not happen often. If half-breeds and lesser breeds were not allowed, the tribes would eventually be bred out of existence, which some would consider a form of genocide. My tribe wants to retain its membership numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or