U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 05:32 PM

5,528 posts, read 8,774,921 times

Advertisements

It depends on the tribe. Some tribes are very generous when it comes to accepting members with distant American Indian ancestry, and other tribes insist that you have to have to have at least one full-blooded grandparent, or (I've heard, in some cases) parent in order be a member of the tribe. And, by the way, many American Indians prefer not to be called Native Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 AM

375 posts, read 923,766 times
Wow. You guys are harsh. 1/32 is the most commonly reported blood quantum for members of the Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma. Y'know, the people who elected him. Doesn't change the fact that they are culturally Native American and have maintained a continuous identity as a tribe with federal government recognition. Membership in the western band of the Cherokee Nation is based more on continuous cultural identity than blood quantum, I'm 3/16 indian, mostly Cherokee, but not eligible for tribal membership because my ancestors left the tribe to do their own thing in the 1700s/1800s before the final rolls were drawn up. I have cousins in the tribe, some of them with a blood quantum of less than 1/32. They're Cherokee, I'm Appalachian, culture trumps genetics.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 AM

4,931 posts, read 4,639,782 times
I'm 1/32 Osage. I recognize it as part of my ancestry, but don't really consider myself to be an American Indian.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 AM

9,808 posts, read 15,900,383 times
Tribal membership is determined by the tribe. Each sets its own rules. The closest analogy is nationality, for example each country sets its own rules as to who is a citizen or entitled to citizenship. In the US, legally, a tribe is a nation.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 AM

51,195 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Well since he was actually elected by the majority (54%) of the Cherokee Nation (including the Cherokee Freedmen) I would say that if they are fine with it then why should we question that fact.
Exactly.

And from what I've read that other American Indians have said, it's not always the genetic quantity but also the tribal affiliation/involvement that the person has. This guy might be practicing the Cherokee tribal ways, involved with his people, etc., way more than someone who has more "blood" but doesn't identify with the heritage in his everyday life.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:14 PM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
The Current Chief of the Cherokee Nation is Bill John Baker and he is only 1/32nd native american. Is this enough to really identity yourself as a native american?

If someone told you they were only 1/32nd native american but identified as a native american would you find that strange at all?
In my mind, absolutely no way....

Old 11-19-2012, 12:17 PM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
It worked for Elizabeth Warren.
You said it, I was thinking it.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:24 PM

398 posts, read 444,399 times
OK....please take this in the nicest way...but speaking as HOBBYIST GENEALOGIST I smell an awful lot of "Bloodline Snobbery" around here. In my own case I'm a solid 50% Russyn and 50% Polish and I claim both traditions. I'll just bet there are probably some very conservative Poles who look down their Eastern European noses at anyone who is not 100% "-Ski". By the same token I'd bet money there are Russyns (IE Ruthenians) who would want me to be 100% Russyn.

Know what I say? If you can't guess, I can't use that sorta language here. All the same I am damn proud of my heritage and a person who would call it into question in front of me would definitely have his work cut out for him! :-)

FWIW.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:49 PM

9,808 posts, read 15,900,383 times
What you or I consider an American Indian is irrelevant to a Tribe (or Band for that matter). However, under the Civil Rights Act and the Affirmative Action regulations if a person is regarded as a Native American they are for the purposes of those laws.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:32 PM

3,334 posts, read 5,115,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Exactly.

And from what I've read that other American Indians have said, it's not always the genetic quantity but also the tribal affiliation/involvement that the person has. This guy might be practicing the Cherokee tribal ways, involved with his people, etc., way more than someone who has more "blood" but doesn't identify with the heritage in his everyday life.
That is a very correct statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or