U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 PM

18,538 posts, read 13,678,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
What I find "strange" is that here we are in the 21st century and there are still people who feel that this is even an issue.

Why are some of us still obsessed with racial classification anyway?

It really is a rather parochial and 20th century way of viewing people.
"Why are some of us still obsessed with racial classification anyway? "

Pride, A sense of belonging, Survival of your tribe or genetics, them and us. It's not going away. There is always something to distinguish us from our fellow humans.

If you can classify people by Religion, Ethnic group, Nation, Language, area of the globe, Accent or any number of things it's just another version of racial classification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 12:11 PM

33,136 posts, read 39,078,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
it's bloody ridiculous if you ask me.
I am 1/16 Mohawk which is twice as Indian
as this scammer. They do it for the benefits,
whatever those are. SCAM.
To add/
Seems many people like to attribute some past Indian heritage to their lineage , too bad this pride to claim Indian bloodline didnt occur to our forefathers when they were trying to exterminate the Indians entirely,
As for Mr 1/32 Indian? I agree total scammer ,i'm surprised real Indians let this imposter continue to carry out his charade.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:27 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,284,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"Why are some of us still obsessed with racial classification anyway? "

Pride, A sense of belonging, Survival of your tribe or genetics, them and us. It's not going away. There is always something to distinguish us from our fellow humans.

If you can classify people by Religion, Ethnic group, Nation, Language, area of the globe, Accent or any number of things it's just another version of racial classification.
Not with that attitude. Rather than distinguish us, have you ever considered that it also helps to divide us? In this day and age, what purpose is served by "classifying" ourselves as anything more than just human beings?

Old 11-20-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Not with that attitude. Rather than distinguish us, have you ever considered that it also helps to divide us? In this day and age, what purpose is served by "classifying" ourselves as anything more than just human beings?
Actually thats not my attitude at all, its just what much of the evidence indicates: When there is peace in the Middle East, or any other place for that matter, there will be peace between all of the other self described groups on earth.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:54 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,284,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Actually thats not my attitude at all, its just what much of the evidence indicates: When there is peace in the Middle East, or any other place for that matter, there will be peace between all of the other self described groups on earth.
A very valid point.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:31 PM

14,807 posts, read 18,805,928 times
Anything under 1/8.... NO
1/8 at least guarantees that you met your grandfather/mother who was 1/2 and possibly kept a lot of the culture from his/her mother/father.

I am about 1/32 dutch and it would be embarrassing for me to claim that I'm dutch because I'm 1/32 dutch even though my second last name (my mom's last name) is dutch.
But my grandfather who was about 1/8 dutch knew absolutely nothing about Holland or their culture.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Anything under 1/8.... NO
1/8 at least guarantees that you met your grandfather/mother who was 1/2 and possibly kept a lot of the culture from his/her mother/father.

I am about 1/32 dutch and it would be embarrassing for me to claim that I'm dutch because I'm 1/32 dutch even though my second last name (my mom's last name) is dutch.
But my grandfather who was about 1/8 dutch knew absolutely nothing about Holland or their culture.
Wow! your Dutch! Can you make me some wooden shoes

Old 11-20-2012, 05:44 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
You're one generation off.
Parent:1/2
Grandparent: 1/4
Great-Grand: 1/8
G-G-Grand: 1/16
G-G-G-Grand: 1/32
Yup. Thanks for the correction. So one of my G-G-G-Grandfathers was a MO state senator and his brother was governor. Maybe I should move there and run for office.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 11-20-2012 at 05:53 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 05:59 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,889,158 times
Can't help but wonder if that first cross, no matter how long ago, was a mutual agreeable thing, or was it a rape. Such things did happen you know. Those were rough days, several generations ago.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,532,207 times
Default Who is to say.

Sometimes I feel that we should do away with the reservations.
At some point should we not adhere to the idea that we are all created equal and and all be treated the same by our government as well as each other ?
Sure it's a crazy idea, about as nuts as my idea of a new "manifest destiny" ~ Take the entire north American continent and call our new nation "The United States of North America"
Solve one of the illegal immigration issues and rid ourselves of Canadian debt all in one fell swoop (and gain mega resources).
I'm white and live on an Indian reservation so you can imagine where I get these wacko ideas from. It's a bit wild here ! On the rez we live on I don't think they even let a person join the tribe unless they can prove that they are at least 25% Indigenous ancestry let alone sit as the chairman or chief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or