U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 03:48 PM

455 posts, read 910,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There's an interesting book called The Sweeter The Juice about the effect of the practice of "passing" on one family .

The Sweeter the Juice: A Family Memoir in Black and White: Shirlee Taylor Haizlip: Amazon.com: Books
Yes passing is a very interesting phenomena. There has been an increase in incidents now where white americans have been looking around their ancestry and are shocked to find one of their ancestors was actually a black person who chose to pass as white.

Exploring race: A white man discovers his black roots

I personally believe there are more white americans with black ancestors than those with native american. Blacks were historically always more numerous in the US post colonization not to mention always in closer contact. It's just due to passing and hiding away of facts that until recently most white americans would never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 AM

440 posts, read 1,314,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
The Current Chief of the Cherokee Nation is Bill John Baker and he is only 1/32nd native american. Is this enough to really identity yourself as a native american?

If someone told you they were only 1/32nd native american but identified as a native american would you find that strange at all?
He's just another pretendian and so is anyone else who is 1/32 , 1/16 or even 1/8. Anybody with such a trace amount of DNA that goes around talking about being native wearing hats that say "native pride" and such are just a joke. It's quite hilarious actually, people don't realize just how foolish they look making such claims.

Urban Dictionary: pretendian

Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM

5,747 posts, read 4,607,363 times
The only reason you would use the term/phrase '1/32' is in relation to genetics not culture. So on that fact alone I would say he is not Native American. If he wants to practice the culture - more power to him.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:00 PM

10,510 posts, read 10,290,772 times
According to my DNA testing and it was done twice, I am 50% Tsalagi pronounced (Jah-la-kee) or better known as Cherokee, I'm 15% Welch, 15% Irish, and 20% Unknown.... It's the Unknown that I'm curious about... I can trace my Tsalagi linen age back 25 generations.. As far as the principle chief for the Cherokee Nation being 1/32nd, that's a decision that the Cherokee Nation made and it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks, this was their decision, this is their laws and this is what the nation goes by. u-na-s-ti-s-gi yuh-wee-yaw......

Old 11-28-2012, 12:35 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Seriously? He's the Chief of the Cherokee Nation and you question whether he is a Native American?
That's pretty ignorant. It has been my experience that these "Chiefs" are rarely nothing more than political figures with their own agenda looking to cash in.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:02 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,723,939 times
For quite a number of years some US states had that 'interesting' 1 drop rule they applied to people with any ancestry other than white. The attitude often outlived the laws. Since we are supposedly past that, then who you are in today's world is pretty much who you think you are, and that depends much more on cultural identification than DNA percentages.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:30 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
For quite a number of years some US states had that 'interesting' 1 drop rule they applied to people with any ancestry other than white. The attitude often outlived the laws. Since we are supposedly past that, then who you are in today's world is pretty much who you think you are, and that depends much more on cultural identification than DNA percentages.
BS. I'm as white and as Irish as they come. I have guys on my job claiming they're minorities (Black, Spanish, American Indian) just for points on exams. These guys are just as white, if not, whiter than I am, but because they have some minority in their background, they feel they can exploit the system. Ridiculous.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:38 AM

358 posts, read 730,934 times
I'm 1/16 Scottish (1/8 if you consider my Irish ancestors who lived in Scotland for 2 generations and married my Scottish ancestors before their descendants immigrated to the US in 1881) and I definitely consider myself Scottish. I have a Scottish surname, my Scottish ancestors were among my last to arrive, and they are the ones with whom my father and his father identified most (my grandfather's father was the son of the said immigrants, each 50/50 Scottish/Irish themselves). Now this is not wholly who I identify with but I wanted to show that % is not the be-all-end-all.

If this man grew up as Cherokee, then yes he is Cherokee. If he grew up white and was told stories of "distant NA ancestors" then no he is not. And anyone who didn't know they were black/NA before a DNA test and then goes around identifying as such (usually b/c of 1%ish of DNA) is ridiculous.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:07 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,977,914 times
How come only native Canadians consider themselves Canadian? Two of my wife's grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from there and she nor her siblings ever say "I'm Canadian" or even "I'm half Canadian". Have you ever heard any not from there say that?

Old 12-01-2012, 12:45 PM

3,858 posts, read 2,692,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
How come only native Canadians consider themselves Canadian? Two of my wife's grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from there and she nor her siblings ever say "I'm Canadian" or even "I'm half Canadian". Have you ever heard any not from there say that?
I consider myself a non-hyphenated Canadian. My maternal side immigrated to Canada in the 1890s and my paternal side migrated in the 1920s. There are lots like me.

Sometimes it feels like hyphenated Canadians are trying to push their hyphenated culture on me and make me feel guilty for having little interest. However, I have a similar lack of interest in the culture of my own ancestors so I don't feel guilty.

On the other hand, that doesn't mean I'm not interested in my ancestors on a personal level and in the history of the areas in which they lived. Earlier this year I was doing a lot of research on several of my direct lines in the late 1700s in Europe. I was surprised how emotional I became. Their stories were ones of struggle and endurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or