Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 03:40 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times

Advertisements

Sometime back in the 8 or 9 hundreds, there was a Dane (likely Dane) who came to farm the lands to the south. When his own were forced out, he stuck around but created and anglo-scandinavian family name. There may be origions of a few other names that were also but this one clearly is.

The rest were largely scots or Ulster folk with a few English thrown in and a "Pennsulvania Dutch/German" connection but in the 1600's.

That somewhere way way back a viking settler is related mean I could call their contribution a heritage? Maybe a drop of DNA, but with the preponderence of English farmers and Ulster scots I think I can them.

It's a neat connection with history but I think I'd need more to claim more.

I'm sure many people have trace slivers of dna from many places but it doesn't make them that trace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 04:23 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Let's see now...... ONE drop of black blood makes a person Black. (we don't seem to have a problem with that way of thinking.)
Speak for yourself pal.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:36 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
What I find "strange" is that here we are in the 21st century and there are still people who feel that this is even an issue.

Why are some of us still obsessed with racial classification anyway?

It really is a rather parochial and 20th century way of viewing people.
As to you averring that racial classifications are "parochial and 20th century" , tell that to a forensic examiner who must try and identify deceased victims of crimes when only scant remains are exist.

Despite such silly Liberal political correctness nowadays about the frowned upon use of racial classifications, these professionals use such "parochial and 20th century" classifications to help identify victims, so that justice can be sought.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:18 AM

322 posts, read 707,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell82 View Post
Very, very strange. I'm 1/16 Hebrew, but I don't go around telling people I'm a Jew, but I guess by this guy's logic my children could....strange? I'm thinking.....yes, absolutely
Well, what is a Jew? Religion? A particular gene? They cluster together with regard to DNA testing such as 23andMe, but is this a "Jewish gene?" Rhetorical question. I doubt today, most of Jewry which is 80% Ashkenazi is of pure (as you term) *Hebrew* stock. The term "Jew" today embodies people who belong to the religion Judaism. Saying you are 1/16 Hebrew is based on a pure unbroken line of ethnic Jews? Or unbroken lines of religious belief? Considering people do convert. Where does this line start, in the Bible? To Abraham? Who can guarantee they come directly from him? Or from any population spoken of in the Torah where this religion is rooted? These questions can be complicated.

I think it's different with someone who is a recognized citizen of an Indian nation, this case, Cherokee who can trace their lineage to a Cherokee ancestor and who has been raised in Cherokee heritage. Cherokee recognize descent. If you come from a Cherokee, you are family. Jews recognize you as "Jew" if you go through a conversation according to Rabbinical traditions. Someone walking around as a self proclaimed Jew is not recognized by traditional Judaism as a fellow Jew. Also, being Jew today is passed down through maternal. One is a Jew if the mother is a Jew, according to Halakhah. So we all draw boundaries within our groups to keep people out or allow people in.

Last edited by AppalachianGumbo; 08-03-2013 at 10:36 AM..

Old 10-25-2013, 05:55 PM

221 posts, read 379,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
The Current Chief of the Cherokee Nation is Bill John Baker and he is only 1/32nd native american. Is this enough to really identity yourself as a native american?

If someone told you they were only 1/32nd native american but identified as a native american would you find that strange at all?

I am about 37% according to my dna test including almost 13% native American from North America. I would say no...but people make up their own identities.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:25 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
If his ancestors are listed on the Dawe's Rolls, he is eligible to be a carded Cherokee.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:41 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
The Current Chief of the Cherokee Nation is Bill John Baker and he is only 1/32nd native american. Is this enough to really identity yourself as a native american?

If someone told you they were only 1/32nd native american but identified as a native american would you find that strange at all?
No that's a very small portion of his ancestry. The strange thing though is that you can see the Native American in his face. It does become a bit ridiculous when someone that has that miniscule amount would be listed as Native American. For example he wouldn't be accepted as Irish with only 1/32 Irish ancestry.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:57 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
A child born to a Jewish woman is Jewish. The Jewish line descends from the mother. Genealogy DNA tends to concentrate on the male, and is rather dismissive of the female. The Jewish home life embraces all facets including religion, language, and law.

The Jazz Singer starring Neil Diamond, and Strangers Among Us starring Melanie Griffith are movies represent different aspects of Jewish life.

As for clustering, many DNA groups are clustered according to age and where they lived at that time in history. My DNA places my ancestors in western Europe between 8,000 -12,000 years ago. It is not an exact science, or that advanced yet.

[quote=AppalachianGumbo;30795728]Well, what is a Jew? Religion? A particular gene? They cluster together with regard to DNA testing such as 23andMe, but is this a "Jewish gene?"

Old 10-31-2013, 06:14 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
the cherokee nation has been able to have its people claim cherokee if they are 1/200th...its all about money, the more members a tribe has the more govt assistance they get, NOT ALL TRIBES ARE THE SAME. my tribe doesnt recognize you unless you are 50%, which i am. then again my tribe is drenched in native history and tradition, many arent and are becoming more and more washed out.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:03 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
nope, I dont consider a person to be native american unless they are at least 50% native american blood, one parent needs to be a full blood to be accepted

if your less than that, your just a mixed breed in my opinion, not belonging to any one group

except American citizen of mixed race

other ethnic groups wouldnt accept you as one of their own if you had that much mixing either

just less than 100 years ago nobody wanted to be native american

they use to pay a bounty for the scalp of a native american, almost like they would of done for a animal, thats strange how they were once thought of as sub-human savages and now after they were mostly wiped out they are considered something to be proud of or brag about by the same people that tried to get rid of them in the first place?

even claiming native american ancestery with the most miniscule amount of native blood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy