U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 PM

952 posts, read 1,863,575 times

Advertisements

Agreed! My income is kind of limited, but Ancestry is the one luxury I allow myself. I'd be lost without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 08:31 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
On a move, I lost all the pictures of my grandmother. But I found someone who has not only her picture but her cousins and the immediate family...
I have a question that may also relate to the "private trees" topic: Tonight I saw a tree that copied almost all of the documents and photos I had scanned on my Great Grandmother. She was the only surviving child that had a single child, so the other tree would be a distant link if I didn't recognize the owner. But they copied down to the minutia of a personal card.

The only photos they missed were on the brief time my Mother (at a year-old infant), Grandmother (also still alive), Great Grandmother, and Great Great Grandmother were together. Being bound to my yet-living Mother and Grandmother, are those blocked from being viewed, and thus captured by others? It would be a great way to hide photos (but still having a public tree) by also linking them to a living or fictional living relative.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:50 AM

8,222 posts, read 12,809,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Being bound to my yet-living Mother and Grandmother, are those blocked from being viewed, and thus captured by others?
Yes. Privacy and Ancestry Member Trees

Privacy Settings for Photos

The privacy of your photos is always protected for living individuals. Remember: Only people authorized to view living individuals in your family tree will be able to see photos of living individuals. Others will not be allowed to see photos attached to people in this tree that appear to be living, unless they are granted permission.

If others can view this tree information in Ancestry Member Trees, they will also be allowed to see the photos attached to this tree. If others cannot view this tree information in Ancestry Member Trees they can still search for your photos, but will not be able to see them without permission. All content submissions are subject to the Content Submission Agreement, which you have previously accepted.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:40 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Yes. Privacy and Ancestry Member Trees

Privacy Settings for Photos

The privacy of your photos is always protected for living individuals. Remember: Only people authorized to view living individuals in your family tree will be able to see photos of living individuals. Others will not be allowed to see photos attached to people in this tree that appear to be living, unless they are granted permission.

If others can view this tree information in Ancestry Member Trees, they will also be allowed to see the photos attached to this tree. If others cannot view this tree information in Ancestry Member Trees they can still search for your photos, but will not be able to see them without permission. All content submissions are subject to the Content Submission Agreement, which you have previously accepted.
Thank You for answering my question in such a concise manner. I had a hunch, but lacked the energy to look it up when I responded. Is there anyone that has gone to an extra step to binding a photo extraneously to a living person (or even a fictional individual) purely to keep it from being viewed?

Old 11-29-2012, 12:10 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,037,563 times
To keep it from being viewed? No. I always figure the more copies of it there are out there, the better odds it will survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy