U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 10:02 AM

551 posts, read 1,259,402 times

Advertisements

I just got interested in researching my family history the other day and joined the free part of Ancestry.com for now. My moms side of the family has been pretty easy, as they were in a small town and had a lot of property. My dads side has hit a brick wall. I found my fathers dad listed in a census, and his wife (my garndmother). I know my grandfather was born in Iowa and was living in Norfolk, Nebraska, but can't find anything else, such as his parents. I know mt grandmother was born in Nebraska and i know her surname, and that's about it. My dad is no help at all and both have long passed.

Any suggestions for a newbie?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 10:47 AM

21,514 posts, read 26,128,168 times
Welcome to genealogy, Badbird! Warning, it's addictive!

Does your Dad know where his parents died and are buried? If so, death certificates may have a lot of information for you. Obituaries are helpful, too.

So if you know when and where your grandparents died, you can check local newspapers for the obits. If You live far away and cannot easily get to the local library yourself, someone in the library will check for you. Fees are usually only a few dollars.

Did your grandparents have any siblings? If so, you can go back further in the census looking for families that have children with those same names.

Do you have cousins? If so, see if any of them have information. There may be family Bibles somewhere.

If you have not already done so, just Google the names. That might pop up references in other genealogy forums.

If you will share your grandparents' names with us, we can see if we can get you started.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 AM

I think they are both in Arkansas. Pretty sure my grandfather is in a casket and something tells me my grandmother had her ashes scattered.

I have never met any cousins on my dads side. I have an uncle, his brother, but he is younger than my dad and doesn't know much either. Tried google, but was overwelmed...

Grandfathers name was John Roder he was born in Iowa
Grandmother was Clara Martin she was born in Nebraska..

I may check with my aunt, she may have done some research at one time.

I did find out my great-great-great grandpa on my moms side was killed by Seminole Indians in an attack about 6 miles from the house i grew up in! Crazy stuff!!

Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 PM

From Find A Grave; Dewey Cemetery, Fulton County, AR:

John J. Roder - Find A Grave Memorial

We then go back to Ancestry.com and find the Social Security Death Index record:

Clara M. Roder
SSN: 371-38-6049
Last Residence: 72576 Salem, Fulton, Arkansas, United States of America
Born: 29 Jan 1905
Died: Apr 1995
State (Year) SSN issued: Michigan (1955)

We now have Clara's birth date, approximate death date, SSN, and where she died.

Go to Arkansas vital records:

ADH: Death Records

You can get a copy of the death certificate. If you want to know the cause of death, make sure you indicate that you are a direct descendant. Otherwise, that may be marked out (redacted). You can also have your father make the request.

This should be John:

Name: John Roder
SSN: 371-38-6051
Last Residence: 33614 Tampa, Hillsborough, Florida, United States of America
Born: 24 Mar 1901
Died: Jun 1978
State (Year) SSN issued: Michigan (1955)

Note the SSNs are almost consecutive, suggesting they applied for them at the same time.

Florida death certificates:

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/planning_...aths.htmaries:

Look for obituaries:

ASL: Facility Details

Call or email the library. There may also be a county genealogical society.

Here is the Ancestry.com listing for John and Clara for 1940:

Ancestry.com - Guest Registration

Notice that there are links on the right hand side of the page to earlier census records.

John's father is Frank and his mother is Englie. Frank was born in PA in about 1864 and Englie was born in IA in about 1876. Both sets of parents were born in Germany.

The 1920 Census also tells you there are other people researching this family;

Ancestry.com

Ancestry.com

Englie's full name was apparently Angeline.

The youngest child of Frank and Angeline was born in 1913, so they died some time after that.

Indeed, we find Frank and Angeline in the 1930 census living with John J. in Jefferson, Nebraska.

To the right there is a link to Find A Grave:

Frank S Roder (1863 - 1939) - Find A Grave Memorial

Birth: Jun. 27, 1863
Death: Dec. 9, 1939

Family links:
Spouse:
Angelina Christiansen Roder (1873 - 1933)

Children:
Frank Roder (1903 - 1960)*

*Calculated relationship

Burial:
IOOF Cemetery (Odd Fellows cemetery)
Tilden
Madison County
Nebraska, USA
Plot: Row 20 North Lot 2

Created by: RK
Record added: Dec 14, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 62918531

Angelina Christiansen Roder:

Birth: Nov. 6, 1873
Death: Sep. 7, 1933

Family links:
Spouse:
Frank S Roder (1863 - 1939)*

Children:
Frank Roder (1903 - 1960)*

*Calculated relationship

Burial:
IOOF Cemetery
Tilden
Madison County
Nebraska, USA
Plot: Row 20 North Lot 2

Created by: RK
Record added: Dec 14, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 62918499

We now probably have Angelina's maiden name: Christiansen.

Search Ancestry.com again:

Ancestry.com - Guest Registration

Her parents are Jens and Paulina, both born in Schleswig, Jens about 1846 and Paulina about 1847.
From the 1900 census, they were married in 1868 and immigrated to the US in 1889. Jens was a naturalized citizen:

Ancestry.com

Duchy of Schleswig - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note that parts of Schleswig are now in different countries.

Also note that Roder has been transcribed as Rodes in some of the census records. Such spelling variations are common and can be frustrating.

If you cannot see the Ancestry.com records, let me know.

Edied to add: there is a problem with the immigration date for Jens and Paulina. It cannot be 1889 if they had been in the US for 11 years. Children's birth dates also put them here much earlier than that.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 12-04-2012 at 01:47 PM..

Old 12-04-2012, 02:07 PM

suzy_q2010 you are amazing!!! Thank you so much! I have wondered for years about my dads side of the family and never got further than i Nebraska when he was a kid!!!

thank you! Now, i can go even further!!

Old 12-04-2012, 02:15 PM

You're welcome!

Suzy Q

Old 12-04-2012, 07:04 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,659,548 times
Ancestry, even free, is a great resource - but don't forget cross-checking the LDS[Mormon] site Family Search

you can view the 1900 census image for the family here which tells you they [Frank & Angeline] had been married 11 years[1889], she was the mother of 6 children, 4 living, and the month & years of their births. John was not yet born.
Angelina states born in Iowa of German parents in Nov of 1872
Frank born of German parents in Penna , June 1869
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or