U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 07:10 PM

81 posts, read 194,674 times

Advertisements

Interesting. No, my ancestors were not living 500 years ago. You see, I was spawned from aliens. That's right. They created a new genetic species of humans in the year 1600. No, of course I am not related to anyone that was alive 500 years ago. Nonsense! Jesus Christ himself must have sent me down as a disciple 200 years ago.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 08:11 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,313,862 times
My family tree is pretty symetrical and mostly averages about 32 years per generation over the 250 years before I was born. However that far back I have some individuals who show up on multiple branches, consistent with the pedigree collapse discussed earlier. It wasn't uncommon for siblings to marry other sets of siblings living in the same area.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:30 PM
bjh

26,367 posts, read 22,843,380 times
OP, intermarriage had to occur. There are more people on earth now than at any other time in history.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:38 AM

8,240 posts, read 12,863,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Yes... that is common sense. But what number would you suggest when trying to ballpark? 25 seems plenty reasonable, accounting for the fact that childbearing could have started at 15, and plenty of women never saw 45.
I just used FTM to export a spreadsheet with the ages of everyone in my tree at the birth of their first and last child, then I used the spreadsheet to auto calculate the averages. Mind you, this is only for MY tree but the average age at first birth (including both men and women) was 28 and the average age at last birth was 37. Based on that, if it were me, I'd probably go with 32.

Of course, the numbers will still be higher than the total population if you go back far enough and the pedigree collapse will account for that. But I still thought I'd point this out.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:42 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,651,203 times
Don't know because i've only got back to 1700.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:49 AM

9,102 posts, read 9,285,338 times
World population in 1500 is usually estimated to be under half a billion, which is 2^29th power.
An individual born around that time would typically have hundreds or thousands of bloodlines leading to you with many different generations.

Just as a random example, Frederik I von Oldenburg, King of Denmark (7 October 1471 - 10 April 1533) is an ancestor of William Windsor through at least 703 different bloodlines that we know of (and probably tens of thousands that we don't know about).

One bloodline is 13 generations, and four are 20 generations. But the other 700 are 14-19 generations.

As stated before by 500 years you have a huge pedigree collapse.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:13 AM

34,779 posts, read 42,918,745 times
All of them were, silly.

This reminds me of something I've been thinking about. I'm in my 60's and I think I am probably the first generation to have the benefit of advanced medicine like polio vaccine, antibiotics, chemotherapy, etc. Our ancestors were truly the products of natuaral selection in which only the strong survived. We, on the other hand, tend to live even when we are very poor genetic specimens. I wonder if this will cause humans to become weakened to the point that we eventually become extinct ?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:44 AM

165 posts, read 257,990 times
I know half my lineage back to the late 12th cemtury. Those people were nuts but there were a lot of them and they were all cousins.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:03 AM
bjh

26,367 posts, read 22,843,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
All of them were, silly.

This reminds me of something I've been thinking about. I'm in my 60's and I think I am probably the first generation to have the benefit of advanced medicine like polio vaccine, antibiotics, chemotherapy, etc. Our ancestors were truly the products of natuaral selection in which only the strong survived. We, on the other hand, tend to live even when we are very poor genetic specimens. I wonder if this will cause humans to become weakened to the point that we eventually become extinct ?
Not necessarily to extinction, because some fully healthy individuals will likely be present.

But yes, modern medicine is influencing how humans live (or won't in the future.) Consider Cesarean sections, they are leading to higher birth weights and more births by women who would have died trying to give birth without C-sections: Can C-sections Influence Evolution?

Women with narrower hips are able to have children because of C-sections. They or their narrow hipped daugters and grand daughters would have increased risk of dying in childbirth, too, in the past. If modern civilization gets to the point that medical care is largely absent, these females will be dying during childbirth again, rather than being saved by surgery. Nature will self-correct the situation, if it comes to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or