U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-14-2012, 06:44 PM

235 posts, read 135,795 times
Post Where/How can I find a percentages to figure out what my ethnicity is?

I just want to find the percentage of my ethnicity that I have and other ethnicities I may have

How can I find this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 09:11 PM

9,149 posts, read 8,711,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.V View Post
I just want to find the percentage of my ethnicity that I have and other ethnicities I may have

How can I find this?
DNA. Various companies do it.

This one is on sale right now:

23 and Me is $99!

Old 12-15-2012, 06:02 PM

392 posts, read 714,322 times
Popular DNA tests:

23andMe - good for health reasons, not so much for ancestry
AncestryDNA - pretty good test, won't give you raw data
National Geographic Geno 2.0 - gave me better results than AncestryDNA, filled in the areas AncestryDNA couldn't, can tell you percentage of Neanderthal and/or Denisovan DNA which is interesting
FTDNA - really good test and gives more data than Geno 2.0, can get expensive depending on which tests/combo you choose

Make sure you take an autosomal test that will give you results from both your maternal and paternal sides.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:36 PM

235 posts, read 135,795 times
TribalCat I cant afford to do both of the FTDNA test but I was thinking of just taking the Y-DNA first for my paternal side. Im a guy as well so I can be tested, you cant be tested if you are a woman.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 27,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.V View Post

How can I find this?
23andMe recently made improvements in the way they report your ethnic ancestry/mixture and it appears that it (the ethnic ancestry part) is now the most accurate of the three companies who offer the autosomal DNA test (23andMe, FTDNA and Ancestry.com). They also just reduced the price of their autosomal DNA test (includes medical risk report, ancestry and Relative Finder) to 99.00 (used to be 299.00). However, if you are Jewish, you may get better results with FTDNA Family Finder.

The best bang for your buck is to first do 23andMe for 99.00, then purchase from FTDNA, the upload of of your 23andMe match results to FTDNA Family Finder for 89.00 (199.00 if you buy it directly and 289.00 after 12/30/12). Once you have tested with either or both of these companies, there are third party sites where you can upload your 23andMe or FTDNA results who can break out your ethnic mixture even more, and they are free.

For those who are adoptees, it is recommended that you also do 23andMe first, then purchase the upload to FTDNA as fishing in two DNA ponds is better than one. If finances allow, also do the new Ancestry.co autosomal DNA test. I have tested with all three and each one has certain features that are better than the others.

For Y-DNA (males only, direct paternal line), a minimum of the Y-DNA 37 marker test is recommended and FTDNA is the best company to test with if you are doing Y-DNA. mtDNA will give you information on your direct maternal line, but it is more for ancient ancestry (can be thousands of years ago). If you have already done the mtDNA full maternal sequence test, then I am not sure that the new Geno 2.0 will tell you a whole lot more if you are female. I am waiting to see what others get for results before deciding.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 AM

2,111 posts, read 4,525,879 times
I've used 23 and Me and FTDNA for multiple tests. For what you want, I'd say 23 and Me, hands down! And it's an incredible value right now too!

Good luck!

Old 12-20-2012, 10:30 PM

142 posts, read 81,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolnacsj View Post
23andMe recently made improvements in the way they report your ethnic ancestry/mixture and it appears that it (the ethnic ancestry part) is now the most accurate of the three companies who offer the autosomal DNA test (23andMe, FTDNA and Ancestry.com). They also just reduced the price of their autosomal DNA test (includes medical risk report, ancestry and Relative Finder) to 99.00 (used to be 299.00). However, if you are Jewish, you may get better results with FTDNA Family Finder.

The best bang for your buck is to first do 23andMe for 99.00, then purchase from FTDNA, the upload of of your 23andMe match results to FTDNA Family Finder for 89.00 (199.00 if you buy it directly and 289.00 after 12/30/12). Once you have tested with either or both of these companies, there are third party sites where you can upload your 23andMe or FTDNA results who can break out your ethnic mixture even more, and they are free.

For those who are adoptees, it is recommended that you also do 23andMe first, then purchase the upload to FTDNA as fishing in two DNA ponds is better than one. If finances allow, also do the new Ancestry.co autosomal DNA test. I have tested with all three and each one has certain features that are better than the others.

For Y-DNA (males only, direct paternal line), a minimum of the Y-DNA 37 marker test is recommended and FTDNA is the best company to test with if you are doing Y-DNA. mtDNA will give you information on your direct maternal line, but it is more for ancient ancestry (can be thousands of years ago). If you have already done the mtDNA full maternal sequence test, then I am not sure that the new Geno 2.0 will tell you a whole lot more if you are female. I am waiting to see what others get for results before deciding.

This is really great info, thanks. Something I've always wanted to do. Will be helpful for me and my kids.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:46 PM

2 posts, read 27,984 times
Ancestry.com is the third and most recent company to offer a autosomal DNA test. Their DNA customer database is growing very quickly. You cannot do as much with your DNA results right now (such as comparing chromosomes and uploading your results to other sites), compared to 23andMe or FTDNA, but Ancestry expects to make some changes this year which will address this. However, they have some features that are excellent, and one is access to the family trees of your matches (if they make them public and many do), which makes finding common ancestral connections between you and your match much easier. I have over 900 "cousin" matches there, more than I have with 23andMe and FTDNA combined, so if you are really into genealogy, or you are an adoptee or birth family searching, the autosomal DNA test offered by Ancestry.com is well worth doing also. I understand that they have just announced a special DNA test price of $99.00 if you are a Ancestry.com subscriber (normally 129.00).

For adoptees or birth family searching, there is a group called AdoptionDNA on Yahoo who will help folks understand their DNA results and how to use it as a search tool. The "search angels" there provide this help for free. 23andMe and FTDNA also have public forums where people can ask questions and get advice. You can also Google DNA Testing Advisor, a free site filled with excellent information for those new to DNA testing, or those considering it. The site owner Richard Hill found his paternal surname by using Y-DNA testing.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:50 PM

2,533 posts, read 1,797,819 times
just sent in my sample to 23 and me dna. will let you know how long it takes to get results. they say 3 weeks

Old 01-04-2013, 09:25 PM

392 posts, read 714,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
just sent in my sample to 23 and me dna. will let you know how long it takes to get results. they say 3 weeks

I ordered both the FTDNA and 23andMe tests on Dec. 11, and they both confirmed the purchase that day. I received the test from 23andMe on Dec. 15 and returned it on the 17th (a Monday). I fully expected there would be a delay due to the holidays, but today (Jan. 4) I received the health portion of my completed test, and they said the ancestry part would be done within a week, so yes, 23andMe is very quick!

I still haven't received a test from FTDNA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy