U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 03:58 PM

5,106 posts, read 6,066,443 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with genealogists in counties Tyrone and Donegal in Ireland/Northern Ireland? Any recommendations?

I have traced my family to these counties leaving for America in 1732 or so.

Tracking down source data. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 AM

8,223 posts, read 12,814,791 times
Have you looked into the Public Records Office of Northern Ireland? Irish genealogy is not easy though, especially going that far back.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:41 AM

6,936 posts, read 6,993,777 times
I don't have a specific recommendation to make. On my father's side we're from Co. Longford. In Longford, and I think probably in all principal county "seats" (for lack of better description) there is a geneology section in the public library. I've used just such a library in Longford town and was assisted by a librarian specializing in what collection(s) the library has. There were also one or two private geneological services one could hire to do work. Maybe you'll find the same is true for Donegal, one of the most beautiful parts of Ireland.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:52 PM

thank you. have contacted a company who does this and will see how they respond.

One day it would be great to go over there and continue these searches myself. but for now, will hire it out.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:32 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,259,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Does anyone have any experience with genealogists in counties Tyrone and Donegal in Ireland/Northern Ireland? Any recommendations?

I have traced my family to these counties leaving for America in 1732 or so.

Tracking down source data. thanks
Well if they were from Northern Ireland and came over at that time they were likely Ulster Scots who weren't in Ireland for very long, maybe 100 years. I realize though that that doesn't answer your question.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:17 PM

I believe, from what I have read, that they came to Ireland during the flight of earls and became 'undertakers -i think is the term'. From Ayr and Dunbarton for the most part. They spent about 100 years in Ireland and according to one of their letters "had two bad harvests in a row and were tired of the political situation" and decided to go for opportunity and freedom in the US.

Surnames were: Montgomery, Hamilton, Colquhoun, Ewing, and a few more. So my current problem is that I can track my family back to Northern Ireland but then I get to Hugh Montgomery for example. There looks to be several Hugh Montgomerys living at the same time and the same town. So which to follow?

That is why I am seeking a professional to sort that out. Then if things go well, I will be able to take a long visit and see things for myself. Hope so anyway.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:06 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,932,091 times
"Montgomery, Hamilton, Colquhoun, Ewing"... those do not sound like celt names. So you can't get catholic parish records. Perhaps church of Ireland?

Old 12-26-2012, 06:39 AM
bjh

26,135 posts, read 22,790,774 times
Colquhoun is Celtic.
Colquhoun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of the most important peerages in Scotland is named Hamilton.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilto...name_and_title)

Old 12-27-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
"Montgomery, Hamilton, Colquhoun, Ewing"... those do not sound like celt names. So you can't get catholic parish records. Perhaps church of Ireland?
Yes you are right. Colquhoun was Presybterian (I don't know if Coventeer or not). Rest were Church of Ireland. I think. Although they may have been Catholic until Stuart monarchy or so.

Circling back to I am looking to a professional to look them up so the truth can be confirmed. Thanks for the observation. Each step gets me closer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy