U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 12:45 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,315,334 times

Advertisements

I always find it hilarious when people claim Philippines is a homogenous country where everyone looks alike
And they attribute this due to skin color...when in fact 2 races can be radically different even though they may be both considered dark

from what I have encountered...there are 3 phenotypes in the Philippines
and 2 racial types

you have the australoid/negrito...and the hybrids that come from them

you have a East Asian phenotype that seems to come from the Malay strain(in these cases its a very east asian looking person who comes from a very malay looking family)...this is quite common...given that the kingdoms of the Philippines has had contact with other East Asian kingdoms for a thousand years this may explain why

and you have the common Malay/bornean phenotype

here are some examples

Negrito/australoid

hybrids derived from negrito/australoid(mostly tagalogs...though you can find minorities within most places in the Philippines that would fall under this...)

psuedo east asian phenotype ethnic filipinos

malay types ethnic filipinos

Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 09:55 AM

2,457 posts, read 6,303,925 times
Very interesting and informative. Thanks for sharing. About 40 years ago the hospitals here in Arkansas, and probably all over the U.S., actively recruited Registered Nurses from the Philippines, and all I met looked like the lady standing in the shop.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Very interesting and informative. Thanks for sharing. About 40 years ago the hospitals here in Arkansas, and probably all over the U.S., actively recruited Registered Nurses from the Philippines, and all I met looked like the lady standing in the shop.

quite interesting...they are probably from either Western or Eastern Visayas if they looked like her..

alot of women migrants from that region are usually nurses and the men become sailors working for big shipping companies

something I also noticed is regionalism is really big amongst filipinos even overseas....even in relationships, many filipinos prefer to date/marry someone who is from their region/ethnic group...hence why so many ethnic/racial types in the Philippines...

Last edited by ejay1; 12-24-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 12-24-2012, 03:06 PM

Another interesting point I had not thought about. All I knew who married here married someone who had the same "looks". Also, several, male and female, went back to the Philippines to marry, or their future spouse came here. Also, it may have happened, I don't remember any, male or female, who married blacks or whites. Very interesting thought provoking information. Thanks for sharing.

Are you from the Philippines, or are you a student of this subject?

Old 12-24-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Another interesting point I had not thought about. All I knew who married here married someone who had the same "looks". Also, several, male and female, went back to the Philippines to marry, or their future spouse came here. Also, it may have happened, I don't remember any, male or female, who married blacks or whites. Very interesting thought provoking information. Thanks for sharing.

Are you from the Philippines, or are you a student of this subject?
Im from the Philippines

that is true...alot of ethnic groups tend to marry within their own ethnic groups in the Philippines

my visayan cousins in the Philippines only married other visayans..

both my parents come from towns an hour away from each other...though they met outside their hometowns

the most extreme example of this is 2 half japanese-half illongos(ethnic group from the central Philippines) who met in japan and married...common point of interest between most filipino couples is ethnicity/ local language

Last edited by ejay1; 12-24-2012 at 03:35 PM..

Old 12-24-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
Im from the Philippines

that is true...alot of ethnic groups tend to marry within their own ethnic groups in the Philippines

my visayan cousins in the Philippines only married other visayans..

both my parents come from towns an hour away from each other...though they met outside their hometowns

the most extreme example of this is 2 half japanese-half illongos(ethnic group from the central Philippines) who met in japan and married...common point of interest between most filipino couples is ethnicity/ local language
Thanks

Old 12-24-2012, 09:50 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,353,756 times
Oh boy. Another thread about judging people by what they look like.

Why does anyone think that's got anything to do with genealogy?

Old 12-25-2012, 12:36 AM
Status: "Nevertheless, America's baseball team -- Roar, Tigers, ROAR!" (set 25 days ago)

12,307 posts, read 7,456,290 times
Some of the coolest people in the world are Filipino; it was my privelege to meet a family of four sisters (Ilocano) emigrating to Canada, now twenty-plus years ago, at a time when my life needed "a push"/some purpose, and while the fairy-tale ending wasn't in the cards, I got my knowledge broadend a bit more, another "nephew-by-proxy", and another set of friends for life.

I hold to strong ibertarian / autarcho-capitalist beliefs, and the Philiippine islands, with their unique heritage, mirror all the shame -- and all the glory -- that characterizes the human struggle. The homeland won't meet the standards of a tested democracy for a long time, if ever. But many of the people who get beyond that have some remarkable stories to tell.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-25-2012 at 01:41 AM..

Old 12-25-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Oh boy. Another thread about judging people by what they look like.

Why does anyone think that's got anything to do with genealogy?
Oh come on Enrico, chill out. Different strokes for different folks .

Old 12-25-2012, 02:09 PM

770 posts, read 733,091 times
The ones at the top look the same as the ones at the bottom. Theyve just been out in the sun a bit more and dont have products in their hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or