U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Are mixed race people more attractive?
Yes, they are more attractive than people that aren't mixed 53 31.36%
hard to say 23 13.61%
No, they are just as attractive as people who aren't mixed 93 55.03%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2013, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 32,896,894 times
Reputation: 11780

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey. I hate MY hair texture, and I'm just a plain ol' white girl with thick, coarse, wavy hair that's hard to manage.

I can assure you that my dislike for the texture of my hard to manage hair has NOTHING to do with disliking my heritage.

I also have a pug nose - probably from my Irish ancestors - and I'd prefer that it was a nice, straight, aquiline nose, but that doesn't mean I hate my Irish ancestry.

Come on.
Kathryn, that is distinctly different from what I'm alluding to. Nappy hair is a characteristic that is uniquely African and uniquely derided in the Western Hemisphere. The post I responded to considered a lack of nappy hair to be a triumphant achievement. That is a dig at African phenotypic traits, and it's something that has given generations of black women tons of agita. You are perceived as Caucasian, and Caucasian traits are not ascribed negative qualities in terms of value or aesthetics. You don't have to worry about seeing your looks as ugly/inferior.

 
Old 04-04-2013, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Reputation: 57020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Kathryn, that is distinctly different from what I'm alluding to. Nappy hair is a characteristic that is uniquely African and uniquely derided in the Western Hemisphere. The post I responded to considered a lack of nappy hair to be a triumphant achievement. That is a dig at African phenotypic traits, and it's something that has given generations of black women tons of agita. You are perceived as Caucasian, and Caucasian traits are not ascribed negative qualities in terms of value or aesthetics.
I'm sorry - but I disagree. I believe that worrying about our looks (which all spring from our genetic background) is common among women of every race or mixture of races, and I believe that insecurity feels the same regardless of the color of our skin.

You may not be able to relate to how much anxiety a white woman with, for instance, lots of reddish freckles, or very pale legs, or stick straight hair she can't do anything with, feels. Those are characteristics which are generally more of an issue with people of European ancestry than other groups. This doesn't mean they hate their heritage, even though they are worried about their looks.

My point is that just because someone "hates their nappy hair" that doesn't mean they hate it because it's indicative of their African ancestry! They MAY feel that way because they hate their African ancestry, but I wouldn't ASSUME that about them. Hard to manage hair is a daily struggle with many people, of every sort of color or ethnicity. "Nappy hair" is VERY difficult for many people to manage. So is thin, fine hair (personally I'd prefer "nappy" over thin and fine, but hey that's just me).

Quote:
You don't have to worry about seeing your looks as ugly/inferior.
Do you honestly believe that white people don't worry about being ugly or looking inferior? I mean that as a sincere question. Do you HONESTLY think white people don't struggle with self image issues?
 
Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 32,896,894 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm sorry - but I disagree. I believe that worrying about our looks (which all spring from our genetic background) is common among women of every race or mixture of races, and I believe that insecurity feels the same regardless of the color of our skin.

You may not be able to relate to how much anxiety a white woman with, for instance, lots of reddish freckles, or very pale legs, or stick straight hair she can't do anything with, feels. Those are characteristics which are generally more of an issue with people of European ancestry than other groups. This doesn't mean they hate their heritage, even though they are worried about their looks.
Of course they don't....because the standard of beauty in the Americas is a white standard of beauty. I encounter beautiful dark women all the time who think they are ugly because they are African-looking. I don't see beautiful white women who think they're ugly because they're European-looking. They certainly might have a perception problem.

You've been on the Fashion and Beauty and Relationships forums. You see how women with dark skin or African or even Asian features are treated. Hell, look how nasty people are to Michelle Obama.

Quote:
My point is that just because someone "hates their nappy hair" that doesn't mean they hate it because it's indicative of their African ancestry! They MAY feel that way because they hate their African ancestry, but I wouldn't ASSUME that about them. Hard to manage hair is a daily struggle with many people, of every sort of color or ethnicity. "Nappy hair" is VERY difficult for many people to manage. So is thin, fine hair (personally I'd prefer "nappy" over thin and fine, but hey that's just me).



Do you honestly believe that white people don't worry about being ugly or looking inferior? I mean that as a sincere question. Do you HONESTLY think white people don't struggle with self image issues?
I'm sure they do (well, you don't ), but it's not because of their European hair texture or skin color or physique. I see people of color doing it all the time.
 
Old 04-04-2013, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Lower east side of Toronto
10,589 posts, read 10,317,990 times
Reputation: 9271
For the most part mixed race is more attractive...BUT if both breeding partners are ugly to begin with - you are going to get ugly offspring...no matter how you mix it up...Most mixed race couples on an individual level are attractive...Beautiful black woman with handsome man of another race will make for a fine child.....What people find unattractive about some blacks is diluted and the weakness and scrawny bodies of "pure" whites are improved with some good black blood...Okay - that sounded bad...Why is it for a second I felt like some plantation owner in the deep south about to breed some slaves? Oh well....Back to the point..beautiful people make beautiful people.
 
Old 04-04-2013, 07:35 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
2,942 posts, read 4,217,913 times
Reputation: 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Kathryn, that is distinctly different from what I'm alluding to. Nappy hair is a characteristic that is uniquely African and uniquely derided in the Western Hemisphere. The post I responded to considered a lack of nappy hair to be a triumphant achievement. That is a dig at African phenotypic traits, and it's something that has given generations of black women tons of agita. You are perceived as Caucasian, and Caucasian traits are not ascribed negative qualities in terms of value or aesthetics. You don't have to worry about seeing your looks as ugly/inferior.
I beg to differ. Having pale skin is universally considered inferior in the West, which is why so many people risk skin cancer just to get a tan or spend a fortune on fake tans. Having red hair is commonly mocked and blondes also deal with a lot of negative stereotypes. White women are said to have no curves and white men are said to lacking in other 'areas' compared to their African counterparts. It's also pretty much considered a "fact" nowadays that white people age badly compared to other races.

It's absurd to say someone hates her own heritage if she happens not to find nappy hair attractive. I have extremely light (porcelain) skin and I don't like the way it looks on me either so I guess I'm a race traitor too in your eyes
 
Old 04-04-2013, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 32,896,894 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I beg to differ. Having pale skin is universally considered inferior in the West, which is why so many people risk skin cancer just to get a tan or spend a fortune on fake tans. Having red hair is commonly mocked and blondes also deal with a lot of negative stereotypes. White women are said to have no curves and white men are said to lacking in other 'areas' compared to their African counterparts. It's also pretty much considered a "fact" nowadays that white people age badly compared to other races.

It's absurd to say someone hates her own heritage if she happens not to find nappy hair attractive. I have extremely light (porcelain) skin and I don't like the way it looks on me either so I guess I'm a race traitor too in your eyes
I don't know what that term race traitor means, and I don't have any opinions on people with porcelain skin who don't like it. I have heard porcelain skin described as beautiful; I have never heard black (not brown or tan) skin described in that manner. It is not absurd for someone to say that they hate their hair if they consider it to be "bad" hair- which is how nappy hair is seen in the Americas.
 
Old 04-04-2013, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Reputation: 57020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Of course they don't....because the standard of beauty in the Americas is a white standard of beauty. I encounter beautiful dark women all the time who think they are ugly because they are African-looking. I don't see beautiful white women who think they're ugly because they're European-looking. They certainly might have a perception problem.

You've been on the Fashion and Beauty and Relationships forums. You see how women with dark skin or African or even Asian features are treated. Hell, look how nasty people are to Michelle Obama.



I'm sure they do (well, you don't ), but it's not because of their European hair texture or skin color or physique. I see people of color doing it all the time.
Oh, there's plenty I don't like about my looks - but I focus on the positives rather than obsessing on the negatives. I think that's a healthy outlook, regardless of race.

And I think that my biracial and mixed race kids offspring have beautiful features from every race they embody. But that can be said about just about anyone.

I think people in general shouldn't worry so much about other peoples' standards - they should embrace their own health and life and all the richness of their heritage. You know, focus on the positive and all that good stuff.

It's really not so difficult to do. But some people sure do make it difficult on themselves.
 
Old 04-04-2013, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Reputation: 57020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I don't know what that term race traitor means, and I don't have any opinions on people with porcelain skin who don't like it. I have heard porcelain skin described as beautiful; I have never heard black (not brown or tan) skin described in that manner. It is not absurd for someone to say that they hate their hair if they consider it to be "bad" hair- which is how nappy hair is seen in the Americas.
Oh come on. I have a cousin who virtually embodies our Irish ancestry. She has the palest skin I've ever seen, and fire engine red hair that is a curly, crazy mess. She fought it for years. I pity ANYONE who had that head of hair on them, if they were determined to fight it.

Eventually she just gave up fighting it and found some products that enhanced her natural curls - which by the way would give just about any "black girl" a run for the money when it comes to nappiness. My gosh that was some crazy hair.

Now she has learned to work with her hair and her pale, pale skin - rather than fighting those naturally extreme looks. Some people consider her beautiful. Some people consider her looks to be downright alarming. One thing for sure - she's definitely "Aryan" - and definitely nappy headed. And, I think, cute as heck, now that she's not fighting her natural looks.

This is not my cousin but this is an example of her "looks." Some people consider this beautiful, while others consider it errrrr, not so beautiful"




As for your statement about never hearing black skin described as beautiful - I have always heard people describe, for instance, David Bowie's wife Iman, who is as far as I know, pure African, as absolutely gorgeous.



Angela Bassett - WOW - dark skinned and lovely. I've known many white guys who think she's gorgeous.



And there is hardly a man on earth more beautiful than this guy - nearly every woman I know - of every color - gasps with delight when he graces the camera...His father is from Sierra Leone and his mother is from Ghana:



 
Old 04-04-2013, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Lower east side of Toronto
10,589 posts, read 10,317,990 times
Reputation: 9271
Love the classic red head...they are a disappearing breed. Very beautiful female. The other pictures here are wonderful also..beauty is beauty..I just love human beauty...it's a delight..but it seems to be getting more rare. If you look at today's television commercials, you will notice they have changed. There was a time when they only used beautiful people...Now marketers have figure out that the average person is inbred and plain...Beautiful people have been pushed aside in favor of what they consider "average" people - who in my books are below average.
 
Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Reputation: 57020
Interesting concept, Oleg - I had never thought of it that way.

But then I like all sorts of looks. To me, when a person smiles, they become beautiful, just about irregardless of their features or coloring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top