Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are mixed race people more attractive?
Yes, they are more attractive than people that aren't mixed 53 31.36%
hard to say 23 13.61%
No, they are just as attractive as people who aren't mixed 93 55.03%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:37 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,520,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Of course beauty is subjective, but it's hard to believe that people would find these folks unattractive.

https://www.google.com/search?q=very...w=1439&bih=766

Racists, or self-hating mulattoes, will find an excuse.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:51 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,387,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
See above child. She is 1/4 African American and 3/4 "white" (actually a mixture of European, American Indian and Jewish). Blonde hair, blue eyes - but being a "quadroon" would be considered "black" by many people.
She is also beautiful. But being the proud grandmother I know you already know this.

Not all mixed race or biracial people are attractive. But then again, not all people are attractive. It takes more than the mixture to create good looks. To me, beauty is beauty, regardless of ethnicity. Either you're good looking or your're not. Beauty can be in the eyes of the beholder, but generally, most cultures have beauty standards that are shared across "races."

My current relatives and I reflect the mixtures of our ancestors. We had no say or control over their behavior or desire to be with other ethnicities, we are a by-product of their preferences...just as the beautiful little girl in the photo represents her ancestors. In our family we all look very different, yet have similar features. This is what mixture does. It does not however automatically "create" attractiveness.

I cannot wait until we can live in a society where a person can just be at the very least, a mixed-ethnic human being, if not just human. And for black Americans, the "one-drop" rule is alive and well in practice. So sad that in the 21st century one is still encouraged to deny their "other" ethnicities and only claim "black." Kudos to you KA for embracing all of your family's heritage!

Old 04-01-2013, 04:55 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,121,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Racists, or self-hating mulattoes, will find an excuse.
Don't forget pretentious people.

Give it up already... You are embarrassing yourself. Moderator cut: deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
So sad that in the 21st century one is still encouraged to deny their "other" ethnicities and only claim "black."
Isn't that the truth.

Not only encouraged but practically required. Pretty sad indeed...

Last edited by june 7th; 04-14-2013 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: Rude responses pertaining to other members are deleted.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Don't forget pretentious people.

Give it up already... You are embarrassing yourself. Moderator cut: Orphaned
I'll stack my example up against anyone's, and I guarantee my progeny and their descendants will come out way ahead. My example against yours? Not even a competition.

If stating an obvious truth is pretentious, then, well, I'm guilty.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-14-2013 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: Reference you are addressing has since been deleted.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
She is also beautiful. But being the proud grandmother I know you already know this.

Not all mixed race or biracial people are attractive. But then again, not all people are attractive. It takes more than the mixture to create good looks. To me, beauty is beauty, regardless of ethnicity. Either you're good looking or your're not. Beauty can be in the eyes of the beholder, but generally, most cultures have beauty standards that are shared across "races."

My current relatives and I reflect the mixtures of our ancestors. We had no say or control over their behavior or desire to be with other ethnicities, we are a by-product of their preferences...just as the beautiful little girl in the photo represents her ancestors. In our family we all look very different, yet have similar features. This is what mixture does. It does not however automatically "create" attractiveness.

I cannot wait until we can live in a society where a person can just be at the very least, a mixed-ethnic human being, if not just human. And for black Americans, the "one-drop" rule is alive and well in practice. So sad that in the 21st century one is still encouraged to deny their "other" ethnicities and only claim "black." Kudos to you KA for embracing all of your family's heritage!
The fact that I'm a combination of many continents, cultural backgrounds and two major ethnic groups (AA and Latino, which I acknowledge freely) doesn't change the way I and mine are regarded in this society. I'm a black man to many, nothing more than a n***** to many others. That will not change in my lifetime. And there are lots of people with African ancestry and without who understand this as well.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:04 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,387,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I wish that some people would stop making the blanket assumption that ALL mixed race people with subSaharan African ancestry wish to NOT be identified as "Black".
I see where you're coming from. I believe in self-identification personally but dislike when people assume that because one has subSaharan African ancestry that he/she SHOULD identify as only "Black." Honestly I think it's cultural and it comes from a very bad place in history. But you are right, not all mixed people are offended or dislike identifying as only Black.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I see where you're coming from. I believe in self-identification personally but dislike when people assume that because one has subSaharan African ancestry that he/she SHOULD identify as only "Black." Honestly I think it's cultural and it comes from a very bad place in history. But you are right, not all mixed people are offended or dislike identifying as only Black.
However, many do.

Though the offense comes from attempts to force the issue. Not from the association itself.

Any one not jumping into the black racial identity is automatically considered self hating. Ludicrous...

What they don't realize is that those of mixed race from outside America aren't dysfunctional like our American cousins.

We aren't subject to the inferiority complexes that lead to the low self-esteem that invariably leads to a need for extreme racial solidarity.

We don't live in a world where we have to define us and them. We don't harbor an innate hatred for white people.

We have our own sense of self that isn't dependent on some false group identity that was created by the very people that enslaved blacks.

And when we reject their blatant racism, hypocrisy and dysfunction they lose their frickin minds.

Really sad actually.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
However, many do.

Though the offense comes from attempts to force the issue. Not from the association itself.

Any one not jumping into the black racial identity is automatically considered self hating. Ludicrous...

What they don't realize is that those of mixed race from outside America aren't dysfunctional like our American cousins.

We aren't subject to the inferiority complexes that lead to the low self-esteem that invariably leads to a need for extreme racial solidarity.

We don't live in a world where we have to define us and them. We don't harbor an innate hatred for white people.

We have our own sense of self that isn't dependent on some false group identity that was created by the very people that enslaved blacks.

And when we reject their blatant racism, hypocrisy and dysfunction they lose their frickin minds.

Really sad actually.
You have some nerve calling anyone a hypocrite. It's not that you are or not "jumping into" a black identity. It's that you are openly hateful and disparaging of the heritage of at least some of your family. If you hate that which is black, you hate yourself. You hate your hair texture but claim that others have an inferiority complex. Moderator cut: Deleted You have African DNA just like any black. You are a mixture, but you are nothing new,exotic or different. You come from master and slave. This is no revelation.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-14-2013 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: Rude statement pertaining to other member.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You have some nerve calling anyone a hypocrite. It's not that you are or not "jumping into" a black identity. It's that you are openly hateful and disparaging of the heritage of at least some of your family. If you hate that which is black, you hate yourself. You hate your hair texture but claim that others have an inferiority complex.Moderator cut: Orphaned . You have African DNA just like any black. You are a mixture, but you are nothing new,exotic or different. You come from master and slave. This is no revelation.
Lolol

1) Your sad attempts to force your militant views on people are pathetic and hypocritical. Especially with you whining about racism constantly.

2) I have never said I hate black people fool. I have stated that I am not black. And I'm not despite your insistence on hanging on to your master's one drop rule. I sure as hell am not African American. I'm not one of you. You don't hear me whining about racism or why MY life sucks because of what other people think about me... You have the nerve to call me weak? Man up and get over it.

3) There's no master in my lineage. Sorry to disappoint you.

4) You need to get over yourself. The woe is me my great great great grandparents were slaves Moderator cut: Inappropriate language fest is played out Mr. Wannabe Spike Lee.

5) Aren't you late for your Klan meeting? Don't think they can start without the Grand Dragon...

GTFO...

Last edited by june 7th; 04-14-2013 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: Asterisks that edit out words per how system operates is still considered use of inappropriate language.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:14 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,442,745 times
Quote:
I do not believe and have never stated that a person with subSaharan African ancestry should ONLY identify as Black.

However, mixed race people who have subSaharan African ancestry (or Asian or Native American, etc) should not expect people to pretend that they do not see or can not identify those physical characteristics in those individuals. It is baffling to me when biracials and multiracials who have obvious Black features become angry at others for simply describing what we see.

All light skinned Black people are not the product of parents of two different races and all biracials are not light skinned. A person on this site who posted numerous pictures of her biracial children actually became angry with me because I could not tell that her light brown skinned children were biracial. The fact remains that two Black parents can also create a spectrum of skin tones and light skinned Black people are not always the product of a Black/non-Black pairing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy