Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are mixed race people more attractive?
Yes, they are more attractive than people that aren't mixed 53 31.36%
hard to say 23 13.61%
No, they are just as attractive as people who aren't mixed 93 55.03%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:41 PM

80 posts, read 218,720 times

Advertisements

I've met many mixed race people. Most of them are average in the looks department just like the non-mixed ones, a few are butt ugly, and a few are very attractive. Of course mixed race people on tv are going to be attractive, it's almost a pre-requisite to be an actor. I think they're just like everyone else in the looks department, basically mostly average. Some people might be attracted to the "exoticness" to their more unusual looks possibly. It just depends. A lot of times I like extremes in looks, like red heads or that one model from Africa who's really dark, I think it looks striking. But I might be a little unusual in my own preferences.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
I worked with a 7 year old mixed race boy in school. His Dad was Black (Haitian) and his Mom was a natural blue eyed blonde German heritage. He was beautiful with mocha skin, light brown eyes, and dark blonde curly hair. All the little girls drooled over him. lol

Old 04-03-2013, 06:13 PM

238 posts, read 590,108 times
Have any studies been done to determine if mixed raced people have more " hardiness"?

As a farmer, a cross bred animal is more hardy than a straight bred.

That is proven in beef cattle and in hogs.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:37 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,056,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Cold Shower View Post
It seems that media and basically a lot of newspaper these days are set on forcing the whole ideal that mixed race people (basically white and black mixed in their eyes) are more attractive than everyone else. Now if you disagree, you get branded a racist fast!

I remember a Black friend of mines asking "so let me get this straight, you are telling me a mixed race guy is more attractive than me because he has White in him while I am not good looking because I don't have any White in me?". It was against this college girl who said that and the girl didn't respond.

What are your thoughts on the whole mixed race people are more attractive belief?
Isn't how attractive one is or isn't subjective? It has more to do with each person's perception of attractive?

Old 04-03-2013, 11:32 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Only when I lived in Hawaii did this even come up. I was called by my bank to take a survey, and at the end of it they asked for my ancestral background. I said I was of African ancestry, and they said, "Is that it? What else?" I was taken aback, as I had never been asked that before. So then I told the lady everything and expressed surprise that she would ask me that question. She said that in Hawaii, everyone mentions all of their origins, not just one origin. That made me think, for sure.
Exactly! I've been told by both Hawaiians and friends who lived there that Hawaii celebrates its mixture. Isn't it surprising though when asked in a non-threatening way how welcoming it is? But, alas, it is much rarer to be asked in this manner on the mainland.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:09 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Moderator cut: Off topic.

As far as the beauty thing, you will probably find the same statistical occurence of commonly held attractive characteristics in any grouping of human beings. Geez, people, get real.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-14-2013 at 05:47 AM..

Old 04-04-2013, 06:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
She is so cute. I would consider her just what she is...of European and African descent.

The "one drop rule" is utter nonsense.
Thank you and I agree totally!

Old 04-04-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
She is also beautiful. But being the proud grandmother I know you already know this.

Not all mixed race or biracial people are attractive. But then again, not all people are attractive. It takes more than the mixture to create good looks. To me, beauty is beauty, regardless of ethnicity. Either you're good looking or your're not. Beauty can be in the eyes of the beholder, but generally, most cultures have beauty standards that are shared across "races."

My current relatives and I reflect the mixtures of our ancestors. We had no say or control over their behavior or desire to be with other ethnicities, we are a by-product of their preferences...just as the beautiful little girl in the photo represents her ancestors. In our family we all look very different, yet have similar features. This is what mixture does. It does not however automatically "create" attractiveness.

I cannot wait until we can live in a society where a person can just be at the very least, a mixed-ethnic human being, if not just human. And for black Americans, the "one-drop" rule is alive and well in practice. So sad that in the 21st century one is still encouraged to deny their "other" ethnicities and only claim "black." Kudos to you KA for embracing all of your family's heritage!
Thank you and I agree totally with everything you said.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I see where you're coming from. I believe in self-identification personally but dislike when people assume that because one has subSaharan African ancestry that he/she SHOULD identify as only "Black." Honestly I think it's cultural and it comes from a very bad place in history. But you are right, not all mixed people are offended or dislike identifying as only Black.
True dat.

It's their right to embrace ALL of their rich, ethnic heritage if they so desire.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You have some nerve calling anyone a hypocrite. It's not that you are or not "jumping into" a black identity. It's that you are openly hateful and disparaging of the heritage of at least some of your family. If you hate that which is black, you hate yourself. You hate your hair texture but claim that others have an inferiority complex. You can call yourself biracial or mixed as much as you want, but the fact remains that African DNA is part of your weak, self-hating, delusional ass. You have African DNA just like any black. You are a mixture, but you are nothing new,exotic or different. You come from master and slave. This is no revelation.
Hey. I hate MY hair texture, and I'm just a plain ol' white girl with thick, coarse, wavy hair that's hard to manage.

I can assure you that my dislike for the texture of my hard to manage hair has NOTHING to do with disliking my heritage.

I also have a pug nose - probably from my Irish ancestors - and I'd prefer that it was a nice, straight, aquiline nose, but that doesn't mean I hate my Irish ancestry.

Come on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy