U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2013, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Chambersburg PA
1,739 posts, read 1,689,684 times
Reputation: 1453

Advertisements

My eyes are blue and green. (green in the center) and with yellowish flecks. They often appear to change colors from blue and green to over all aqua blue, to green, to even a deep blue almost violet color. I guess it depends on my mood, maybe what I'm wearing, the lighting or whatever...it's interesting to look at in pictures tho'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 PM
 
1,851 posts, read 2,908,702 times
Reputation: 2346
Default Pretty Eyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I always was interested in genetic issues and also about my origins in ancestors, I don't know to much info to be honest. And I have also some questions about my eyes colour, I always though they are brown, and they are indeed, but I've recently notices that there are plenty of brown tones... hazel, honey, dark brown, etc.

I want you to tell me your opinion, and if you know where my eyes colour is more usual, or if there are a lot or very few in your area. Or even if my eye colour or lights of colour give a clue about some origins.

To add info, my parents have both green eyes, and my grandparents are: blue, green, green, dark brown.

Here the pic.
Are your parent's eyes fully green or hazel with green overtones? Some hazel-green eyes look green...just asking. Brown is most common in most of the world as other colors are often recessive to brown. In parts of Europe, blue is dominate. In the Middle-East, North Africa, and India, greens, lighter browns, and hazels are seen.

So, I would say that you are of mixed-ethnicity with ancestors from Northern Europe, and either the Middle-East or North Africa, or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 05:35 AM
 
Location: Europe
1,618 posts, read 2,632,714 times
Reputation: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Are your parent's eyes fully green or hazel with green overtones? Some hazel-green eyes look green...just asking. Brown is most common in most of the world as other colors are often recessive to brown. In parts of Europe, blue is dominate. In the Middle-East, North Africa, and India, greens, lighter browns, and hazels are seen.

So, I would say that you are of mixed-ethnicity with ancestors from Northern Europe, and either the Middle-East or North Africa, or both.
Not fully green like this emoticon: but not brown either. My eyes also change with light so it's a bit messy lol.
I always wondered where my origins are, because in one hand the green tone must come from the north but in the other hand North Africa is not far (I am from Spain) and maybe the brown tone comes from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Way South of the Volvo Line
2,776 posts, read 6,965,362 times
Reputation: 2824
As some of the previous posters have noted, eye color genetics can be fairly complicated. And you cannot attribute eye color to any one race or ethnicity. I am African-American with varied racial ancestors. My Dad's eyes were a gray-green, some called them "hazel" because of the color variation in light. My mother's eyes were brown with green edges. She called them "terrapin eyes". My two sisters and myself have green-brown eyes ( light brown interior iris with light greyish-green edge). I always referred to that as "hazel" as in the green/brown color of the hazel nut. My two brothers had/have green eyes, greyish-green irises with brown tinged edges. Pretty varied and complicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 03:01 PM
 
1,851 posts, read 2,908,702 times
Reputation: 2346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Not fully green like this emoticon: but not brown either. My eyes also change with light so it's a bit messy lol.
I always wondered where my origins are, because in one hand the green tone must come from the north but in the other hand North Africa is not far (I am from Spain) and maybe the brown tone comes from there.
Possibly. I love family histories and origins! I had a friend who was part Spanish, she would tell people (in California) that she didn't look Mexican, but she did look Spanish. She had blue eyes and strawberry blonde hair. Year's later I was surprised to hear that most Spaniards have brown hair and brown eyes. She was totally wrong all those years! Needless to say, I can't wait to visit Spain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
As some of the previous posters have noted, eye color genetics can be fairly complicated. And you cannot attribute eye color to any one race or ethnicity. I am African-American with varied racial ancestors. My Dad's eyes were a gray-green, some called them "hazel" because of the color variation in light. My mother's eyes were brown with green edges. She called them "terrapin eyes". My two sisters and myself have green-brown eyes ( light brown interior iris with light greyish-green edge). I always referred to that as "hazel" as in the green/brown color of the hazel nut. My two brothers had/have green eyes, greyish-green irises with brown tinged edges. Pretty varied and complicated.
Maybe not race...I think it is a social construct, but hear you. But ethnic groups can have a dominance of one eye color over another. So, in a mixed-ethnic family, eye colors will vary. However, in parts of Northern Europe, where mixture is much less common, eye color is more consistent. It's harder to tell in other regions with brown eyes because brown can "hide" the recessive blues and greens, etc.

On a side note, you're family sounds beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Denver
2,976 posts, read 2,395,835 times
Reputation: 1819
I still can't figure out what color my eyes are. They have green, blue, yellow, and grey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 04:05 PM
 
1,851 posts, read 2,908,702 times
Reputation: 2346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I still can't figure out what color my eyes are. They have green, blue, yellow, and grey.
Oooh. Pretty! Take a pic and post, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 05:53 PM
 
5,640 posts, read 16,926,779 times
Reputation: 3963
My spouse and I have brown, first child had brown, we thought there was no way we would have a blue eyed child, yet our second child has grey blue eyes. But both our mothers have blue eyes. My Dad has hazel/gold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Way South of the Volvo Line
2,776 posts, read 6,965,362 times
Reputation: 2824
Why thank you, Jaded!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 08:13 PM
 
3,454 posts, read 5,855,697 times
Reputation: 2878
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
My spouse and I have brown, first child had brown, we thought there was no way we would have a blue eyed child, yet our second child has grey blue eyes. But both our mothers have blue eyes. My Dad has hazel/gold.
My mom had black hair with dark brown eyes. My dad had red hair with hazel eyes. I had 11 brothers and sisters they all have brown eyes and brown hair. I was child #11 and I have blond hair and blue eyes.
My blue eyes are the exact color of several of my cousins on my mom's side of the family. They are sort of a darker blue than a lot of blue eyes are. Some of those cousins also have blonde hair but others have almost black hair with blue eyes. My mom's dad was of French descent via Paris and Quebec. Her mom was from Belgium. My dad's mom was German and half American Indian and his dad was from Denmark.
several of my dad'd sibs had the light light blue eyes and white hair and they almost looked like they were albinos.
So from both sides there were a mixture of brown, blue, hazel, and green eyes and hair ranging from white to black. We just have always said it was the luck of the draw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top