U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 10:27 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,632,714 times

Advertisements

I always was interested in genetic issues and also about my origins in ancestors, I don't know to much info to be honest. And I have also some questions about my eyes colour, I always though they are brown, and they are indeed, but I've recently notices that there are plenty of brown tones... hazel, honey, dark brown, etc.

I want you to tell me your opinion, and if you know where my eyes colour is more usual, or if there are a lot or very few in your area. Or even if my eye colour or lights of colour give a clue about some origins.

To add info, my parents have both green eyes, and my grandparents are: blue, green, green, dark brown.

Here the pic.

Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,838,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I want you to tell me your opinion, and if you know where my eyes colour is more usual, or if there are a lot or very few in your area. Or even if my eye colour or lights of colour give a clue about some origins.
To add info, my parents have both green eyes, and my grandparents are: blue, green, green, dark brown.
From my study of genetics in college, I learned that some traits can skip generations.
My Father has blue eyes, my Mother brown. My sibling and myself have brown eyes.
The odds are very good that blue eyes would show up in the grandkids.

--------------
Genes come in pairs, and each gene in a pair may differ slightly. One gene may be dominant, and override the other gene, which is recessive. A recessive gene only has an effect if both genes in a pair are recessive. An example is eye color. Although this is not as simple as depicted here, blue is the recessive gene, and brown is the dominant gene. When both parents have blue eyes, as shown here, they will both have a pair of recessive genes for blue eye color. All of the children will therefore have blue eyes since there is no dominant gene present to mask the recessive gene.
Eye Color Genetics Chart - FamilyEducation.com

Old 01-16-2013, 11:41 AM

11,151 posts, read 13,795,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
From my study of genetics in college, I learned that some traits can skip generations.
My Father has blue eyes, my Mother brown. My sibling and myself have brown eyes.

--------------
Genes come in pairs, and each gene in a pair may differ slightly. One gene may be dominant, and override the other gene, which is recessive. A recessive gene only has an effect if both genes in a pair are recessive. An example is eye color. Although this is not as simple as depicted here, blue is the recessive gene, and brown is the dominant gene. When both parents have blue eyes, as shown here, they will both have a pair of recessive genes for blue eye color. All of the children will therefore have blue eyes since there is no dominant gene present to mask the recessive gene.

However, the OP says that both her parents have *green* eyes, and that her eyes are brown. Since green is, I presume, also recessive to brown, that would indicate that "the milkman" might be involved .....

Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,838,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
However, the OP says that both her parents have *green* eyes, and that her eyes are brown. Since green is, I presume, also recessive to brown, that would indicate that "the milkman" might be involved .....

The green allele is dominant to the blue allele on either chromosome, but is recessive to the brown allele on chromosome 15.
.....yes, green is recessive to brown, but green is dominant to blue.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:09 PM

5,495 posts, read 4,401,519 times
Don't worry your eye color is normal for the traits in your family. I have the same eye color as you - w/ better lighting it looks like an amber.

Eye color is a result of multiple genes and not a simple dominance verses recessive trait - it might be codominance or any possible combination of influencing SNPs.

From wiki: 'The once-held view that blue eye color is a simple recessive trait has been shown to be incorrect. The genetics of eye color are so complex that almost any parent-child combination of eye colors can occur.'

Eye color - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As an example of using SNPs I had a gentetic test done with 23andMe (which they predicted my eye color correctly) and used that data on a third party tool called Eye Color Preditor and it got my eye color right-on using 16 SNP's

Here is the report to see what I mean: The letters to the left are my genotype at a particular locus and the rs#'s are the SNP (single nucleotide polymorphism) This is explained in the wiki article.

Predicted Eye Color

Read rules from top to bottom. In some cases, a rule cancels out results from rules above it.

CT at: rs17762363 - Increased melanin production. Adds yellow, amber, or brown. Some darkening. Contributes to brown.
CC at: rs1847134 - Deep Brown
CC at: rs3794604 - Blocks some melanin. Often gives light colored eyes.
GG at: rs7174027 - Blocks some melanin. Often gives light colored eyes.
CC at: rs4778241 - Low Melanin. Basis for Gray, Blue, Green, or Yellow Eyes if no other pigmentation is present.
CC at: rs9782955 - Blocks some melanin. Often gives light colored eyes.
AA at: rs1393350 - Brown
CT at: rs1129038 - Adds Yellow.
AA at: rs1105879 - Weak Amber Gradient
AA at: rs4778138 - Weak Amber Gradient
GT at: rs1470608 - Medium melanin on Anterior Epithelium. Gives dark eyes.
GG at: rs16891982 - Starburst (Collarette)
TT at: rs1667394 - Starburst (Collarette)
CC at: rs12203592 - No pigmented Collarette.
CC at: rs4779685 - Flecks (Nevi).
AG at: rs11634406 - Flecks (Nevi).

16 rules were used to make this prediction. There are 61 active rules in our evaluation model, utilizing 41 SNPs

Last edited by Shiloh1; 01-16-2013 at 01:17 PM..

Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,795,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
As an example of using SNPs I had a gentetic test done with 23andMe (which they predicted my eye color correctly) and used that data on third party tool called Eye Color Preditor and it got my eye color right on using 16 SNP's
23andme made the wrong prediction on MY eye color .....

Old 01-16-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
23andme made the wrong prediction on MY eye color .....
Did you try the tool at GEDmatch?

23andMe ususally gives a % of possible eye colors, based on a few SNPs and then usually goes with the highest %. So I am sure they sometimes will get it wrong even though they will ususally predict a certain % for your actual color.

EDIT: That is not copyrighted material - it is my gentic infomation regarding my eye color - I uplaoded it into a eye color predictor tool (GEDmatch - http://ww2.gedmatch.com:8006/autosom...olor_pred1.php).

Old 01-16-2013, 01:12 PM

Regarding 23andMe prediction - they said my eye color was 'likely brown' and according to my genotype gave the % as:

In Europeans, 56% chance of brown eyes; 36% chance of green eyes; and 7% chance of blue.

So they did not necessarily get yours wrong if they did it like this? And that was based off of one SNP.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:28 PM

122 posts, read 122,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

--------------
Yes, it is quite complicated especially if you're parents are interracial. But there's a huge chance that you don't get your parents' eye color, don't worry, it doesn't mean you're adopted, it's just you might've gotten it from you grandparents.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,084,617 times
I have green eyes that used to be blue when I was younger.

My ex hub has brown eyes as does his entire family except his mother who has green.

Our daughter has blue eyes (exactly like my dad) and our son has one brown eye and one hazel eye (greeny/brown).

My daughter is also a fair haired strawberry blonde now more red, there is not one of those in either side of the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy