U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 03:09 PM

9,226 posts, read 20,248,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Something I have come across many times in my research are these huge discrepancies when children are reporting anything about their parents, such as their parents names or birthplace, etc., found on census records, and also often found on death certificates where the reporting person is an adult child.

This boggles my mind. I can't imagine being raised by your parents and not knowing where they were born, or having grandparents around but not knowing their names or only knowing a nickname. Now, I tend to forget exactly where my father was born but I wasn't close to him, so it makes more sense. From all I have heard these particular family members were very close and kept in touch even as they moved to different parts of the country sooo... it's weird.

Also, I have come across several death certificates where the deceased's name is not spelled out, but just initials... "A.J. Smith" for example. Kinda crazy!

In one instance, an ancestor who documented his life story and clearly says he was born in Germany with specifics, is listed umpteen million times (by adult children) as being born in Tennessee. In fact, his wife was born there but not him. If you had a father who came to this country at age 17 and new no English at all and probably still had a strong accent, and gave his children all German names, how could you not know your father (who lived to be 87 and lived with his children, going from house to house until his death) was from Germany?

I was lucky enough to find documents relating to a couple of my relatives Dawe's applications (they were rejected, claiming to be Cherokee) but there are several pages of court transcriptions where they are asked all sorts of questions about their family history. It is, I assume, transcribed verbatim. So here you have someone who is a child in a family of eleven kids, and they are adults at this time. They are asked all sorts of questions about their father and mother and grandparents and siblings and so many answer with "I don't know"! Things like, your sister who lives in such and such, how many children does she have? Or where was your father born, that sort of thing.

Anyway, I just wondered if this was common and others have encountered it.
My son's great, great grand parents grave stones have the wrong year of birth for both of them. I recently found their find a graves, wasn't sure if it was their graves but everything is pointing to it. Last weekend Ancestry had UK records free, I found his great, great grandma's birth record that clearly shows her birth as August of 1877, her grave says 1878 lol I have not found her hubs birth record yet but his year of birth says 1868 on everything I've found so far yet his grave is marked as 1869
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 03:53 PM

1,515 posts, read 782,994 times
I have a diary by my 4th great grandfather he talks extensively about his ancestors,so he knew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or