U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 PM

560 posts, read 1,067,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
You will be rejected by the KKK.
Yay, that is the best benefit. Plus, I feel better about owning land now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 PM

10,520 posts, read 11,628,203 times
A hundred dollars??? My grandmother was half Quahadi Comanche, so am I like 12% Comanche? I do like buffalo, kinda dry but tasty.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:20 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,509,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
That .1% is probably only noise. In fact 23andMe states very specifically that any admixture less than 3% could be noise and not really true.

My test results were very similar. One estimate put me at 99.1% European and another estimate put me at 98.5% european, with 1% African and .5% native. I told my older family members about it and if they want to believe we are native and african that is up to them. I tell people I am completely european descended as I have no proof to believe otherwise.
I don't see where they make that claim (3% margin of error) anymore. Their analysis has become much more precise. African and Native American DNA are very distinctive, and even in tiny blocks they are likely real. Both are commonly seen in Americans with colonial ancestry, reflecting the mixing of races that occurred before it was outlawed (and obviously after as well). I have distant African and Native American ancestry and both are reflected in my 23andMe results at about 1.3% each. Many people who believe they are "completely European" have found out otherwise. And many who believe they have native ancestry are disappointed to find out they don't, or that it did not survive the generations in their DNA.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:53 AM

3 posts, read 5,401 times
Most people I know are mixed somehow. In my city a person can look white, black, Mexican, etc, and have a parent or grandparent that isn't. It's very common. Lots of white Americans claim to have some Indian blood, a study I heard about said most black Americans have some European ancestry, while 30% of white Americans have some black ancestry.

I don't think any individual is one hundred percent anything... just a mixture of genes. I guess a person can be considered one hundred percent human... but according to the theory of evolution, all life descended from bacteria-like microorganisms.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:46 AM

455 posts, read 873,220 times
I'm sorry but .1% has to be well within the range of error. It's quite possible you have no native blood at all. Not to mention i believe all humans are about 99.9% genetically identical with that .1% representing the minor racial differences.

Frankly it could be argued that anybody on earth could share .1% genetic similarity with any ethnic group.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:49 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,509,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
I'm sorry but .1% has to be well within the range of error. It's quite possible you have no native blood at all. Not to mention i believe all humans are about 99.9% genetically identical with that .1% representing the minor racial differences.

Frankly it could be argued that anybody on earth could share .1% genetic similarity with any ethnic group.
You misunderstand how these tests work. They are looking only at those parts of the genome where people can differ that are useful genealogically, so they are not looking at the genes that all humans have in common.

And, they can now pick up even a tiny segment of DNA within these regions that are identifiable by race. So if you have a very small DNA segment that is Native American they can detect it. And it may account for only .1% of your total DNA.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:28 PM

560 posts, read 1,067,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
You misunderstand how these tests work. They are looking only at those parts of the genome where people can differ that are useful genealogically, so they are not looking at the genes that all humans have in common.

And, they can now pick up even a tiny segment of DNA within these regions that are identifiable by race. So if you have a very small DNA segment that is Native American they can detect it. And it may account for only .1% of your total DNA.

Makes sense to me. If they can find one gene mutation that originated in North America, and nowhere else, then that would seem to be fairly conclusive.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:55 PM

83 posts, read 402,164 times
0.1% is just noise

Old 02-20-2013, 02:31 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,761,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
23andme says that I am .1% Native American, so that is 1 in 1,000 right? I did this calculation to see how far back that would be in terms of generations.

1 me
2 parents
4 grandparents
8 great grandparents
16 etc
1,024 (the American Indian would be one of these)

At 30 years per generation that would be over 300 years. My parents were both from Massachusetts with relatives up through eastern Canada. Hopefully, I can identify the specific tribe somehow.
So in eastern Canada if 98% of the new arrivals were men, and the 2% female that showed up were nuns, how come we ended up with all these babies? I think you've just come up with the answer.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:04 PM

269 posts, read 426,327 times
Just a note, your racial percentage and DNA inheritance (autosomally with alleles), does not work the same way. You inherit 50/50 from parents but due to recombination and DNA's own will, you can inherit from 1 parent anywhere from 0%-50%. However, once you get back to a 4th great grandparent, you have the chance of not inheriting anything and there is very little chance you would NOT inherit anything from a grandparent or great grandparent.
You can be 1/8 Native American which is 1 great grandparent and is 12.5 of that grandparent's ancestry. On a DNA test (23) you can inherit 2% to as high as 6% of their DNA. Percentages can even vary with siblings.

Now, the parameters of 23andMe are about 7 generations which is a 5th great grandparent and 1 Native American 5th great grandparent is 1/248 of your ancestry. Anything beyond this is a crap shoot.
Small percetnages are not necessarily unreal, however they are small and anything under 1% can be noise. Once you get to a 5th great grandparent DNA of ancestry those segments tends to fall off the genome by then if no other introduction of that ancestry enters your genealogy. Very rarely do they hang on past 7 generations.

"1,024 (the American Indian would be one of these)"

This is very far back. 0.1 is 10th of a percent and starting at your parents counting back the first generation, 1024ths would be 8 generations back. Because this small percentage showed you would be inclined to think it is from this ancestor back 8 gens., however, I think it is too far back to show on a DNA test. I think maybe this is noise, noise tends to be about 0.1. Very common number. Some Europeans show 0.1 East Asian.

Your best bet if possible is to test the parent from which you believe this came. Or maybe send to Doug McDonald for analysis. You can find his email on the 23andMe forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or