U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 05:31 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,844,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Could there have been an earlier John Doe? The Srand Jr titles change as people die. They don't stay with you for life. JR could have been III but become Jr when his grandfather died.
John Doe IV born in 1960 is correct.

His Father was the III, but he was nicknamed Jr. thus the uncertainty as to whether he was II.

His Grandfather was the II. And I guess J. Doe II was actually Jr. until the III was born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 06:24 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,892,964 times
I went to school with a John Doe II and in another class, John Doe III. In both cases, there was a death involved. John Senior died before there could be a Junior and a nephew was named in his honor....that was John Doe II, instead of Jr.

I suspect that the III was also in honor of an older man who has passed on with no male offspring.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:41 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,866,353 times
I have lots of same names in my paternal line. Very confusing. In the DAR, there is a mix up about the generations due to the same name and sloppy citing on one of my ancestors. An ancestor did serve in the Rev but not the one with the next generation wife and children as listed. It's Complicated.....LOL

We have same names listed three and four times in the same generation because of brothers naming their children after each other. Oh boy.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:39 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 5 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,686,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I have lots of same names in my paternal line. Very confusing. In the DAR, there is a mix up about the generations due to the same name and sloppy citing on one of my ancestors. An ancestor did serve in the Rev but not the one with the next generation wife and children as listed. It's Complicated.....LOL

We have same names listed three and four times in the same generation because of brothers naming their children after each other. Oh boy.
For at least three generations two brothers in my grandfather's line, early 1700's were James and William. They were twins. One had boy twins, named James and William. The other had two sons named James and William. Their siblings also named children both names. The father was John and both had son's named John too, along with others of siblings.

Family reunions must have been very confusing.

His father's line I found traced back to 1400. The first one was John. His oldest son was John. Each following generation had one son, usually the oldest, if they survived, or a later son if they didn't, named John.

It didn't list them as Jr or Sr, or I II or the third, but it must have been interesting.

We named my son after grandfathers over us.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:07 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,532,570 times
Our is a family full of Georges and Fredericks on the patriarchal side from Germany. ~♥~
I'm a sixth generation American but my wife's parents were born in Scotland and England.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:14 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,844,113 times
My first and middle name are the same as my grandfather.
But, I'm not a Jr. (I guess because my Father's name is not the same, a generation was skipped)(?)

Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,080,965 times
Back in the 1600s there were no middle names. I have 6 John Does in the same family. The first three were father-> son -> son. John^2 and his three sons fought in the RW. His John^3 died in the war but not before he had a son John who had no issue. John^5 and John^6 are the first born sons of his brothers who survived the war. The only way I ever figured it out was the wives. I needed a scorecard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or