Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 11:43 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times

Advertisements

I have wanted to get myself checked out to see what surprises lie in my genes. Which of these services do you recommend to check out your ancestry? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 06:31 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,381,460 times
I'm not trying to be a smart but you like a Ford but I like a Chevy . Of the many serious genealogist who get into DNA, each one has a preference. A cousin who is the Administrator of a branch of my family told me he, or other members in the data base have tried about all of them, and he is convinced the Family Tree DNA is the most reliable and complete. I'm sure others will join in here later, but my understanding is that it depends on what you are looking for.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:07 AM

393 posts, read 1,497,160 times
I've tested with NatGeo Geno2.0, AncestryDNA, 23andMe and FTDNA, and I agree that FTDNA is the most comprehensive. 23andMe gives you health information that the others don't, if that's what you're interested in.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:35 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
I've utilized the testing offered by Geno2.0, FTDNA and 23andMe. I can't say that I understand everything I'm seeing, but my reaction thus far is that 23andMe, hands-down, has provided the most comprehensive/informative/useful information. The 23andMe $99 price-tag is also a very attractive lure! Geno2.0 has probably been the least helpful.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:49 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,412,572 times
I've done FamilyTreeDNA, 23andMe, and AncestryDNA. If you want "surprises", you should do 23andMe for health-related surprises and for your ethnic background surprises. It will give you a huge long list of diseases and your genetic risk for each of them, including scary ones like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Some people would rather not know.

FamilyTreeDNA and AncestryDNA are good for genealogists, they will give you a list of people related to you who are in their databases, but they're not good for ethnicity and give no health information. 23andMe also gives you a list of cousins.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:12 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I've done FamilyTreeDNA, 23andMe, and AncestryDNA. If you want "surprises", you should do 23andMe for health-related surprises and for your ethnic background surprises. It will give you a huge long list of diseases and your genetic risk for each of them, including scary ones like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Some people would rather not know.
Put me in that camp! How far back do these tests go? 1,000 generations?

Old 08-01-2013, 02:32 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post

FamilyTreeDNA and AncestryDNA are good for genealogists, they will give you a list of people related to you who are in their databases, but they're not good for ethnicity and give no health information. 23andMe also gives you a list of cousins.
Can you opt out of the scary list? I for one would rather not. But I do want the ethnicities and especially a larger breakdown than 'scandanavian' or 'european'.

I'm using Ancestry to put my tree, just started entering it after I lost the paper stuff in the mess after the work on the house, and would like to link it with their data base.

I can only do one and it has to be the autosomal type test as I don't have anyone to test the male side.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:32 PM
bjh

60,084 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Can you opt out of the scary list? I for one would rather not. But I do want the ethnicities and especially a larger breakdown than 'scandanavian' or 'european'.

I'm using Ancestry to put my tree, just started entering it after I lost the paper stuff in the mess after the work on the house, and would like to link it with their data base.

I can only do one and it has to be the autosomal type test as I don't have anyone to test the male side.
You can choose not to take the health surveys or to view that information. It may be there, but it's easy to not look at it, if you don't want to. Just don't go to that section.

I looked at mine at first (in March), but haven't been back to that section since then. It's just odds. No one can really tell anyone what will happen with their health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy