U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 01:16 AM

449 posts, read 1,432,474 times

Advertisements

I first became interested in genealogy back around 2002 and really enjoyed it for a few years. It was a bit too interesting and taking up all my time, plus I was having a hard time organizing and hitting more complicated brick walls.

I'd like to continue now and I'm finding options for research, sharing info, etc has grown so much that I need help even understanding what's what. I loved roots web but have also used Ancestry and LDS microfilm. Had Legacy (gone now) on one of our old computers. And done my share of looking through sources at historical societies, etc.

I know there are wiki's which sound good but I would like other family members to add info or make a note if they have different info without anyone being able to edit other people's entries. Some relatives might add data that has't been verified but maybe someone else would like to check further. Not all my cousins for instance are interested in genealogy but might want to add a story or quick note. I think Facebook has something but not everyone uses Facebook.

And then, what to you do, if anything to have separate pages/sections for different lines. Maternal relations wouldn't really care about Paternal ones. And can you keep some info - contact info for instance, private?

Then as for a program separate for my own records, research what if I have windows but want to send a sibling with a Mac a family tree or whatever. I liked Legacy but I think I had a problem with entering a second marriage and children. I think FTM might be easier to share info. Do any of you use more than one of the free programs to access other subscribers that might be working on related family?

When I did it before, my closer relatives didn't really get interested so I've never sent GED files, or any files. I am thinking it might be easier for them and more distant relatives to have a genealogy page or wiki - something web based.

I know I have a lot of questions. Appreciate help with any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 04:16 AM

8,230 posts, read 12,832,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post
I know there are wiki's which sound good but I would like other family members to add info or make a note if they have different info without anyone being able to edit other people's entries. Some relatives might add data that has't been verified but maybe someone else would like to check further. Not all my cousins for instance are interested in genealogy but might want to add a story or quick note. I think Facebook has something but not everyone uses Facebook.
On Ancestry.com, you can invite people to your tree to be a guest, contributor, or editor. A guest can only view your tree and add comments in the comments sections. A contributor can add comments but also add photos and stories. An editor can add and edit individuals in the tree.

If you have a public tree, anyone with a subscription can comment on your tree (like a guest).

I don't know how other online tree services work but probably there are similar options.

Quote:
And then, what to you do, if anything to have separate pages/sections for different lines. Maternal relations wouldn't really care about Paternal ones.
People just tend to look at the branch they are related to, in my experience. I've never felt a need to restrict people to certain branches.

Quote:
And can you keep some info - contact info for instance, private?
Living individuals are always kept private on Ancestry.com, unless you choose to change a setting that allows a guest, contributor or editor to "view living people". Also, there is a feature where you can add a private note to any individual in your tree, living or not, and only you or an "editor" can see the note. But you can not pick and choose what facts in the individual's timeline are private.

Again, I don't know about other sites.

Quote:
Then as for a program separate for my own records, research what if I have windows but want to send a sibling with a Mac a family tree or whatever.
It shouldn't matter if you send a gedcom - any family tree software, regardless of what operating system it's being run on, can read a gedcom.

Quote:
I liked Legacy but I think I had a problem with entering a second marriage and children. I think FTM might be easier to share info. Do any of you use more than one of the free programs to access other subscribers that might be working on related family?
The software itself won't connect you with other people - only if the company that provides the software also have an online database of member's trees. But no, I am only a member at Ancestry.com at the moment.

Quote:
When I did it before, my closer relatives didn't really get interested so I've never sent GED files, or any files. I am thinking it might be easier for them and more distant relatives to have a genealogy page or wiki - something web based.
There are plenty of online family tree services out there - most will probably require your family members to join their website in order to view your tree though. Ancestry.com just allows people to view or collaborate on family trees... if you're looking for something more like a community for your family, myheritage.com has a feature that allows you to create your own family website where your family can interact: Family Pages - Share your family photos, family tree and family events - MyHeritage.com - so it's sort of incorporating a family tree and a social network together. There is a Family Tree app on Facebook too - you say not everyone has Facebook but probably no one in your family will have an account at any other place you try to set up either. So I would consider the Facebook app too.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:09 PM

PA2UK,

Thank you for such good descriptions of those websites. You did a great job explaining the different details, some I hadn't even realized we're options like those you mentioned at Ancestry for example. I like that there are different choices. I love that people could post notes without possibly editing someone else's info, they could delete a key piece of info without realizing it. And looking over my old notes, I found I had a relationship or name that turned out to be wrong. Like the name everyone called my grandmother was not the name used on her death certificate or other vital records. But she did use it for other things and if I had deleted it, other info might not be found.

I am hoping that making things web based will make it easier for relatives to add what they know and make it more fun for them too. A lot easier than it was the last time anyway.

Your descriptions were great, better than what I could follow at the sites and reviews.

Now to see which program I should get for me since I might be switching from Windows in a few months.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain so much.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,660,762 times
IF I were starting all over again, I'd do my own website. Not for everyone I guess, but I have many friends in the community who have done so. Some started out small and eventually have turned into really great research sites. This, depending on what you want to spend, allows you to host a database, private forum where people can interact & you control what info goes into the database, provide sources etc.

Sounds daunting, but doesn't really take too much tech savy these days! Your ISP probably includes basic hosting for minimal fee.

Still playing with the idea :+) What stops me personally is reams and reams of paper, re-documenting sources for the web[ugh - the typing & cleaning up some trees], deciding how far sideways to go, managing the whole thing - - a big commitment of time to get it how I would want it.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:56 AM

I agree it would take a lot of work if you had a lot of research and material to set up for a web page. Seems daunting to me and I don't have so much yet. It sounds like a great idea for later if I get more web savvy.
Probably looking for beginning a private blog with a public Ancestry tree. I figure I could commit enough time once I get through reviewing the material I have compiled. One thing that's really helpful in some ways is all the place on the web that explain how to set up a blog. Apparently a lot of people have gotten interested in genealogy in the past decade so there are more online places for research and ideas on getting material you need.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,107,591 times
I came into genealogy when roots web was in diapers and had few records. Then real family researchers freely shared information with those who had a legitimate reason to know. Later came the big database with hundreds of names and owners whos said, "i', not related to them." And other who merged my work into her databse and claimed it as "My ABC County Relatives." The problem was we were not related. Her grandmothers half-sister who married by grandfather did not have children. And grandmother was his sister-in-law. Her house of cards continued to fall apart as I continued my search. "No your grandfather's neice is not related to my double cousin. They are no descendants.

I did all the above at one time with disastrous results. My hard work wound up on a CD that was sold to XYZ. Now they own my copyrighted work ias somethng they did. I can prove they didn't. I took my sites down.

The sad truth is genealogy is a cash cow. The author is the last one who will see a dime for their work. I've had the misfortune of meeting one too many liars and con artist out "for the conquest."

Today I have my own "cloud" at home, and flash drives with information stored. I really have too may years invested in research to give it to data-thieves-for-profit. I am not very keen on genealogy software that reports to a "third party" every time you make an entry.

Ancestry C-Ds are not viewable on Mac; they never have been. It is strictly a PC product. If you want to produce something a cousin can see, do write it as a Word.doc and convert it to a Mac document before you send it. It will look the same as long as you use a familiar letter font such as Arial. Otherwise it will not be readable. Few fonts in PC and Mac are the same. Arial is about as universal as any font will be. It is used by doctors, lawyers and publishers.

And I still have two ancestors with mystery parents. DNA has proven in one case I am absolutely not related to a male ancestor I was conviced was mine. The search starts anew.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:00 PM

1,796 posts, read 6,076,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The sad truth is genealogy is a cash cow. The author is the last one who will see a dime for their work. I've had the misfortune of meeting one too many liars and con artist out "for the conquest."
Hi there!! You mean I can make money during all of my hours of "searching" via Ancestry and the like?? My husband would love to hear that .

Do tell. How is genealogy a cash cow??

Old 02-09-2013, 03:42 AM

8,230 posts, read 12,832,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I did all the above at one time with disastrous results. My hard work wound up on a CD that was sold to XYZ. Now they own my copyrighted work ias somethng they did. I can prove they didn't. I took my sites down.
You can't copyright a family tree, public records, or the data from those record.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:30 AM

3,675 posts, read 2,490,419 times
You also cannot copyright a list. For example, you cannot copyright a list of ingredients for a recipe but you can copyright the description/wording you write about how to put the ingredients together.

Similarly, you can't copyright a list of names and dates e.g. date and place of birth, marriage, and death of an individual. However you can copyright a story you write about any of those events.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:06 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,660,762 times
Unless you are planning on writing a book, for commercial sale, I just don't get keeping "your" work under lock and key. It might have made sense 50, heck even 25yrs ago when work represented considerably more in person research of primary sources or payment for researchers on the ground. Not saying that doesn't still happen, but like it or not, and most researchers do, there is amazing access to primary sources online for considerably less investment than a trip great grandma's home town or country.

I think the genealogist's greatest value likes in immersion and insight. Pretty much anyone can compile lists of names and generations with some degree of documentation today. I personally have to ask myself who my audience is. If someone asks me to do work specifically for them, they are paying me to do a certain amount of legwork they could do themselves IF they had the time and knowledge of access points. They also know that if their "job" lies within my field of interest, that anything I dig up in public records is not going to be a secret, but will be part of a larger body of work [and that body of work is how they come to me in the 1st place]. My audience for that is totally public. I personally have a deep appreciation for my main area of research, and genealogy is just my chosen way of documenting it's history and people. Since I don't intend to write a research tome I am more than happy to put stuff out beyond the firewall. It generates interest, collaboration, and encourages moves to make more records available. Totally private sits in a box in your office. If it contains some secret no one else can turn up and you intend to profit off it in some way, then by all means keep it your personal treasure trove.

Sharing with interested family is an interesting question - Like I mentioned, I'd probably do a website with some kind of controlled access to any database. Online seems the easiest way for people who use different technologies to share, rather than digging up some universally accepted genealogy software. 15 years ago I would have probably picked something from the LDS; then grudgingly Family Tree Maker. I still find it the easiest way to share reports as a whole generation of genealogists have invested time and $$$ into it. I have never fully utilized the online tree sites - like Geni etc. I have put basic info on some of them, but look at them as ads encouraging personal collaboration, and not THE solution for sharing.

I think a blog is a great way to share your journey..at once personal and informative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy