U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 10:07 PM

449 posts, read 1,430,857 times

Advertisements

Recently joined Ancestry and also re-checking some message boards that I used to visit often. And there it was...a post from someone who is related by way of my GGF's 2nd marriage. They had been looking for info and I have some and perhaps they could return the favor. They had enough info that I'm pretty certain of the connection. YESS!!

Then I saw that the post was almost 2 years old, no email address.

To explain, my GGF is my brick wall. I've been looking on and off for a decade and cannot find him anywhere. Nothing for Naturalization or Petition for Nat - there is a 14 year gap from when he arrived (per census) to 1900. Can't find him arriving or his wife arriving a year later. So it is possible he applied somewhere else I guess. The difficult part is that he remarried and his children from each wife were "not friendly". Likely in part because he remarried less than 3 months after his first wife of 30 years committed suicide. I'm also trying to find out how they determined that it wasn't just an accident. The old police,hospital records, coroner are difficult to find. And understandably her young teen children were reluctant to talk about it to their children so there have been rumors but not many facts. I guess I'm hoping he talked more with his second wives children about his history as he got older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 11:42 AM

2,457 posts, read 6,090,111 times
If you have not already done so, you may post a follow-up msg to that site and (hopefully) make contact. I have had similar experience in the past which came out in a positive way. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 AM

8,220 posts, read 12,809,728 times
Just because the post is two years old does not necessarily mean the individual is no longer active on the site. I have been using ACOM and posting on the boards for well over 2 years now and I am still active there. If you click on the individual's name and view their profile, it should tell you when they last signed in and that will give you an idea of whether they are still active or not. Unless, of course, they have closed/deleted their account entirely and therefore their username won't be clickable.

But the message boards on ACOM are readable by the public, you don't need an account to view them, so it would be unwise for anyone to publicly post their private email address for any spam bots to easily pick up. You can't expect anyone to do that. ACOM instead have a private messaging system which will send them an email letting them know they have a private message on ACOM. So even if they are not active there anymore, getting an email about a message might prompt them to login and check it out. Only if the email address they used to sign up with is no longer active will it not reach them. Or, like I say, if their username is not clickable and therefore you can't even send them a message.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:16 PM

3,675 posts, read 2,484,076 times
I assume that the username of the person who wrote the post is not clickable?

If that's the case, try doing a Google search using two keywords - forum and the username. The poster may have used the same username in other forums where she has posted more recently.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 PM

3,675 posts, read 2,484,076 times
If I want to be apprised of any new postings to a specific surname forum on Ancestry, I join the mailing list for that forum. For example, I joined the Keiper mailing list. If someone makes a post on the Keiper forum, I automatically receive an email quoting the contents of that post. This works particularly well for forums with little activity.

You can find Ancestry mailing lists to join here: RootsWeb.com - Find a List Search

Old 02-12-2013, 09:11 PM

21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I assume that the username of the person who wrote the post is not clickable?

If that's the case, try doing a Google search using two keywords - forum and the username. The poster may have used the same username in other forums where she has posted more recently.
I once found a distant cousin just by Googling a username. She used the same one in a dog forum and it had an active email link.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 AM

449 posts, read 1,430,857 times
Thanks for the helpful ideas. Her name was clickable and I did send a message and also left a note on her tree under Jacobs name. Posting history showed she hadn't been posting for the last 2 yrs.

Neat idea Suzy - I did check some other forums for that username, but didn't think of Googling it.

Has anyone here been using Gen-forum at genealogy.com The 2 yr situation got me thinking about my own old posts and I know I saved a lot of info there. Problem is it won't let me log in and I've emailed twice without getting a response. Have same email as in my profile. Has something changed over there?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:13 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
I remember finding a comment just a couple days earlier on an Ancestry board, responding to a post a few years old with a traceable name. It was a mutual relative, so I plugged in a little information. Come to find out the author of the older post had died, so I updated the message board for the responder.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:15 AM

8,220 posts, read 12,809,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I remember finding a comment just a couple days earlier on an Ancestry board, responding to a post a few years old with a traceable name. It was a mutual relative, so I plugged in a little information. Come to find out the author of the older post had died, so I updated the message board for the responder.
Yes, that's also a possibility. I know my father-in-law had started getting into genealogy not long before he had a stroke that left him unable to speak and bed ridden for the rest of his life. Years later, a distant cousin of my husband's contacted me because I had been researching my husband's tree too. Apparently, my father-in-law had posted on ACOM's message board and this cousin later responded but never heard back. I looked at the dates of the messages and realized my father-in-law's post had been only a few months before he had the stroke and therefore by the cousin had replied, he was completely unable to use a computer. By the time the cousin got in touch with me, he had passed away.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:02 AM
bjh

26,094 posts, read 22,785,932 times
Emails may be there in shading that can't be picked up by spam-bots, but that can be read as you look at the page. It doesn't hurt to leave new messages, but sadly sometimes they're never followed up on. This begs the question, other than CD, what are the most ACTIVE genealogy forums?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy