U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 AM

738 posts, read 772,171 times

Advertisements

The burial search would only work if you actually know the cemetery. If you know where any of your other Flashenberg relatives are buried, that would be the place to start. And yes...sometimes cemetery records are spotty due to any number of reasons.

Another option is to try and locate the family plot that includes his parents. Sometimes, families were buried together and it was not at all unusual to live in one state and be buried in another. I see that an Isadore (yours?) lived with David and Yetta in Malden, Mass in the 1925 directory. Maybe locating their place of interment would be helpful.

You are SO lucky to have the Brooklyn Library close by. They have awesome resources! And who knows, after going through the directories and phone books, you may discover that your aunt and uncle left the New York area and that is why it is so difficult to find them. What a fascinating search!

Please post an update if you find something. It's always helpful to hear the success stories.

RVcook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 08:57 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,931,627 times
Galicia was a region in the Austro-Hungarian Empire which after WW1 became Poland again. The borders shifted constantly in that region. Do you know what town they came from?

So, Galicia, Austria, Poland, all the same thing.

There are many databases to search at www.jewishgen.org I suggest trying those. Placing the "c" in the name is the Germanic spelling, once here in the U.S. the "c" was probably dropped for simplicity. Keep in mind that spelling didn't count. I'm so grateful for soundex searches! I've found names spelled all different ways on different documents, plus many of the old records are hard to decipher & can be transcribed into an index incorrectly.

Also, I've found errors in the SSDI. Unless you see the actual SS5 (original Soc. Sec. application) you can't be sure of the accuracy of the index. I've found names spelled incorrectly & dates entered in the index incorrectly.

The 1940 NYC phones books are on-line at:
Direct Me NYC: 1940

The 1946 Manhattan phone book is on-line at:
1946 Manhattan NY Telephone Book

Keep in mind that most people didn't have telephones until after WWII. Unfortunately, the last NYC city directory was 1933/34.

Try searching the old digitized NY newspapers at www.fultonhistory.com (free to search & read the articles.)

Have you tried the digitized NY Times for his name? Maybe there's an obit? The NY Times digitized index is availalbe at many public libraries.

You can search some (not all) NYC area cemetery databases at:
erc/scdb

Also, to search cemeteries:
JOWBR at www.jewishgen.org and,

www.jewishdata.com (this one is free to search the index, but one must subscribe to see the photo of any search results.)

You can search a lot of interesting databases at: www.stevemorse.org including Ellis Island, NY naturalizations (not all), NYC vital record indices & much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyAnn Frances View Post
Hi! Thank you for answering my posting here.

I am well aware of the transcription errors in the spelling of the Flashenberg name. In one census it was Feishenberg! However, for my Great Grandparents the official spelling was always Flashenberg on all the documents I have like birth certificates, marriage certificates and death certificates.

The Tillie and Isidor you located are, I'm sorry to say, not my relatives. A search brought back the Till and Isidor you found. They were born in Galatia.

My Great Grandmother Tillie was born in Polish Austria. Her son, my Great Uncle Isidore/Irving was born in New York in 1909. The family did not have much money and so did not travel outside the US after immigrating here in 1900-1901.

I will keep looking. My main objective here was to connect with anyone who knows descendants or who is a Flashenberg family member.

Thank you for your efforts.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:13 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,931,627 times
Also, you can search for wills (probate records.) They can yield a lot of data.

New York City Surrogate's Court
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy