U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 04:12 PM

824 posts, read 1,353,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERSNAP1963 View Post
Whatever he is, he's handsome.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:22 PM

17,413 posts, read 18,275,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
I know, but Arab looks are not common, it's just a minority. Spanish people look like Portuguese, Italian, Greek, etc. White skin, black hair, dark eyes. Penelope Cruz and Antonio Banderas could be good examples.
I have been to Spain twice. I also have friends who are Spaniards (non Latino) and I have dated two Spaniards....so I am definitely familiar with the way in which Spaniards look.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/05/he...5407.html?_r=0

Twenty percent of the population of the Iberian Peninsula has Sephardic Jewish ancestry and 11 percent have DNA reflecting Moorish ancestors, the geneticists have found. Historians have debated how many Jews converted and how many chose exile. "One wing grossly underestimates the number of conversions," said Jane Gerber, an expert on Sephardic history at the City University of New York.

New genetics study reveals Spain's forced conversions in 15th and 16th centuries | World news | The Observer

The research was carried out by a team led by Professor Mark Jobling of Leicester University and Francesc Calafell of the Pompeu Fabra University in Barcelona. They found that 20 per cent of men in Spain and Portugal today still have distinctive Sephardic Jewish ancestry while 11 per cent have DNA that reflects Moorish ancestors.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I have been to Spain twice. I also have friends who are Spaniards (not Latino) and I have dated two Spaniards....so I am familiar with the way Spaniards look.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/05/he...5407.html?_r=0

Twenty percent of the population of the Iberian Peninsula has Sephardic Jewish ancestry and 11 percent have DNA reflecting Moorish ancestors, the geneticists have found. Historians have debated how many Jews converted and how many chose exile. "One wing grossly underestimates the number of conversions," said Jane Gerber, an expert on Sephardic history at the City University of New York.

New genetics study reveals Spain's forced conversions in 15th and 16th centuries | World news | The Observer

The research was carried out by a team led by Professor Mark Jobling of Leicester University and Francesc Calafell of the Pompeu Fabra University in Barcelona. They found that 20 per cent of men in Spain and Portugal today still have distinctive Sephardic Jewish ancestry while 11 per cent have DNA that reflects Moorish ancestors.

Interesting study. But Moorish or Sephardic Jew doesn´t necessarily equal darker skin. In fact many people in Persia/Iraq have white skin and green eyes, remember that girl in the cover of Times magazine?

I mean, if 20 per cent of the population of Spain looked Arab or Sephardic, a guy like me could pass unnoticed, but is not the case. I'd say only 1-3 per cent look that dark.

So some people could have Moorish or Sephardic ancestors and look "average westener", and some other people can have no Moorish or Sephardic ancestors and look Arab (as could be my case). Even in Scandinavian countries there are ethnic Scandinavian who are brunette looking, and the proportion is higher in more mixed countries like Germany or Austria.

We were all Black Africans a long time ago, so I guess there's a lot of dark DNA lurking around, even in the whitest person.

Last edited by Javier77; 02-23-2013 at 04:46 PM..

Old 02-23-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Interesting study. But Moorish or Sephardic Jew doesn´t necessarily equal darker skin. In fact many people in Persia/Iraq have white skin and green eyes, remember that girl in the cover of Times magazine?

I mean, if 20 per cent of the population of Spain looked Arab or Sephardic, a guy like me could pass unnoticed, but is not the case. I'd say only 1-3 per cent look that dark.

So some people could have Moorish or Sephardic ancestors and look "average westener", and some other people can have no Moorish or Sephardic ancestors and look Arab (as could be my case). Even in Scandinavian countries there are ethnic Scandinavian who are brunette looking, and the proportion is higher in more mixed countries like Germany or Austria.
The Moors that ruled Spain and Portugal were from the areas which today are Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Niger and Mali.

But what is your explanation for your darker skin tone?

Old 02-23-2013, 04:57 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,300,251 times
He looks mostly Caucasoid.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:07 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,736,749 times
Norwegian.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
The Moors that ruled Spain and Portugal were from the areas which today are Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Niger and Mali.

But what is your explanation for your darker skin tone?

Maybe is Moor or Sephardic blood, maybe not. There were many other groups of people in the Peninsula, for example the Phoenicians, the Greeks, Carthaginians, Vikings, Goths, Asturs, etc.

And then the fact that I am a man. My sisters look average white, but men look darker, because we don´t get pregnant. When a woman gets pregnant she needs as much d-vitamin as possible, and the easiest way to get it is from the sunlight. The whiter you are, the more d-vitamin you get from the sun. The darker you are, the less d-vitamin you get, that's why black people tend to suffer from d-vitamin deficiency when they live in northern countries. But Black women are a few shades lighter than Black men.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Maybe is Moor or Sephardic blood, maybe not. There were many other groups of people in the Peninsula, for example the Phoenicians, the Greeks, Carthaginians, Vikings, Goths, Asturs, etc.

And then the fact that I am a man. My sisters look average white, but men look darker, because we don´t get pregnant. When a woman gets pregnant she needs as much d-vitamin as possible, and the easiest way to get it is from the sunlight. The whiter you are, the more d-vitamin you get from the sun. The darker you are, the less d-vitamin you get, that's why black people tend to suffer from d-vitamin deficiency when they live in northern countries. But Black women are a few shades lighter than Black men.
OK.

But, judging by your pic, your coloring is not at all usual for a Spaniard.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
OK.

But, judging by your pic, your coloring is not at all usual for a Spaniard.

Yeah,that's why I get the "where are you from?" quetions every now and again. Or even the "excuse me, do you speak Spanish?"

Old 02-23-2013, 05:37 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,407,014 times
You look like a dude from Spain. Give off the Greek look too.

Spanish people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd say you look like the bull fighter. Torro! Torro!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or