U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 05:04 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,877,558 times

Advertisements

I agree and see it all the time, typically military black guys who marry Korean women. I have to say, the daughters that result are often stunning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
In Florida you would often see Asian women with black guys, but I would not call them Chinese because they were from another asian country, but you see it a lot with black navy sailors.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:42 PM

5,368 posts, read 4,872,412 times
I work with a half black half Korean girl. I don't know which parent is what race though. She is pretty but definitely has a butter face going on. Her good hair style and physic make up for it a lot.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:01 PM

400 posts, read 1,261,901 times
its very common for asians and blacks. especially common is blacks in the military who have served in asia and married. definitely seen more black males and asian females than vice versa. but the largest mix in US is asian-caucasian.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:19 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,115,121 times
Honestly, how can you tell just by looking? Asians have very distinct features that are common to them all. I would have to know the surname. I can't tell a Chinese person from a Japanese person from a Korean person from a Vietnamese just by looking. I see Black American and Asian couples, but I have no idea what the Asian man or women's ethnicity is. I have gotten it wrong so many times, I don't even try to guess. I can tell by the name.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:50 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,286,760 times
I know three Asian man/Black woman married couples and several BM/AW couples as well so I don't find these couplings unusual.

I am the product of African American (woman) and Chinese (man) ancestry. There were numerous marriages and relationships between Chinese railroad workers and African American women in beginning in the late 1860s in Texas and throughout the South and West.

Asian Texans

The 1880 U.S. census shows 136 Chinese Texans, 72 of them living in Robertson County, around Calvert and Hearne (Rhoads 7). While some of the Chinese American men had wives and family in China, others married Texas women. Among those who married local women, some married white women, and most married African American women. Of the latter, there was a man named Bar Low, who expanded his name to Bar Low Williams. The name change did not represent a complete assimilation, however; when discussing the after-life with a Baptist preacher, Mr. Low Williams declared, “I don’t think I want to go to your heaven, so high, high, up there in the cold, cold sky. Your hell sounds better, warm and not so far away.” (Tolbert 6/20/81)

Lie Chapp, a leader among the Chinese, married an African American woman, and they gave birth to two sons, Lawyer and Bud (see Burnitt). Chinese American Tom Yepp, Sr. arrived at Calvert as a farm worker for the Hanna estate (Yepp interview), and later in life ran a café and a laundry (Burnitt). He and his wife Moriah had five children (Burnitt). Lie Chapp and Tom Yepp married sisters, making their children cousins (Rhoads’ notes).
Lawyer Chapp became the overseer on the John Hill Drennan farm, where African Americans and Chinese African Americans had for years lived, worked and sharecropped. Lawyer Chapp was known as “honest and able.” After his only child (a daughter) died during childbirth, he became “broken of health,” moved into the town of Calvert, and passed away (see Burnitt). Lawyer’s brother Bud apparently had children; by the 1970’s three of Lie Chapp’s great grandchildren – Alonzo, Jimmy, and Sammy Lee – still resided in Calvert (Johnnie Yepp interview). By 1981, three of Sammie Lee Chopp’s children were engineers, one working for the Space Shuttle program. (Tolbert 1981)

Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 PM

1,913 posts, read 1,676,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
At least when Chinese first came to the Caribbean, their couplings were always Chinese man/Black woman because the only Chinese immigrants who came over were males. This was the case in Jamaica, Cuba, Suriname, Guyana, and Trinidad among other places. I descend from one of these unions.

Lots of people named Wong, Chang and Chin in the Caribbean.
The same happened in the south. In Charleston, So.Car. it was fairly common. As with my family there are still descendents from these Chinese men and Black women.
But then I believe Charleston was quite different in that there were many mixed people of many other cultures mixed with black way before it became popular, especially around the mid 1800's and into the twentieth century.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:57 PM

6,948 posts, read 2,032,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
At least when Chinese first came to the Caribbean, their couplings were always Chinese man/Black woman because the only Chinese immigrants who came over were males. This was the case in Jamaica, Cuba, Suriname, Guyana, and Trinidad among other places. I descend from one of these unions.

Lots of people named Wong, Chang and Chin in the Caribbean.
Yep, exactly. I have a number of relatives who are part Chinese...and it was just as you stated, Chinese man & African woman.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,898 times
Default Black Chinese

My family is black Chinese from Calvert, Texas Robertson County. My gr gr grandfather is Barlow Williams. Im not sure how many children he had but I know of at least four. One of them is my grandfather Arthur Williams who is deceased. His brother is my Uncle ID whose around 90 something and still alive. So we are triracial as my gr gr grandmother was Indian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy