Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 09:31 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times

Advertisements

Is anyone here familiar with the Khazars? I am wondering if that is my ancestry. I am Jewish but don't have any Jewish looking features...I have light skin, blue eyes, not a large nose etc. I can trace my ancestry back to what is now known as Vinnitsa Ukraine. From what I understand the Khazars settled in this part of the world and later converted to Judiasm. This group is known for having light physical features. From everything I read it sounds like I am Khazarian but I don't know for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 09:52 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
The Khazars are TOTALLY fascinating!! They were originally a Turkic tribe, so your blue eyes wouldn't come from them, but maybe from Scandinavian heritage in Ukraine (or some other side of your family). Arthur Koestler wrote a very thorough book on the Khazars: "The Thirteenth Tribe: The Khazar Empire" something like that, see Amazon.

Genetic testing would help identify any Khazar roots you might have (it would probably show up as Asian), depending on whether it comes from the male or female line.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:43 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times
My blue eyes come from my grandma on my mothers side, her entire family had beautiful blue eyes. They were the ones from Vinnitsa, although all four of my grandparents were from Ukraine/Russia. My parents both had green eyes and didn't look Jewish. I'm wondering if my entire family could be Khazar (and yet had no knowledge of it).

I have read that Khazars were originally a Turkic tribe but they didn't have Turkic features, they had light skin and eyes. That's why I think I'm either Khazar or I have some European blood. I would be very interested in what genetic testing would show.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:47 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,387,317 times
One of the first rules of genealogy is to start with yourself and work backwards. One doesn't start backwards and work forwards. So gather information about your parents and grandparents and start looking at census and vital records - birth, marriage, death.

Regarding features, a DNA autosomal test from 23 and Me or some other company can break down %s of Euro and Middle Eastern heritage. You may simply have only a small % of originally Jewish ancestors. That would be the case if you're a member of this group anyway, if as you say they converted and were not racially Semetic, but only culturally Jewish.

Follow the paper trail and you may find your ancestors originate from a different area of Europe altogether. Good luck.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:18 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
If he's Khazar, his DNA wouldn't have Semitic markers, they'd have Asian markers (Turkic).
OP, I don't recall reading that the Khazars were blue-eyed and light-skinned, but I think it would be fun to check out the DNA test, anyway. You'd need to get a female relative to send in the test, though, to get the maternal line, the mtDNA. National Genographic does a test, you can look around online for others. You may have your features as a result of the combination of Slavic genes from one side of the family, and maybe there's a little Slavic in the maternal line as well. Anyway, it would result in light-eye dominance, which wouldn't rule out Turkic/Khazar markers.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:02 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Khazar influence on Eastern European Jewry is a controversial topic, but I think this article does a good job of summing up the evidence.

Ashkenazi Jews are probably not descended from the Khazars | Gene Expression | Discover Magazine

Old 08-14-2012, 04:43 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If he's Khazar, his DNA wouldn't have Semitic markers, they'd have Asian markers (Turkic).
Correct, if culturally Jewish ancestry is solely through a non-Semitic group. If one has other Jewish or middle eastern ancestors . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You'd need to get a female relative to send in the test, though, to get the maternal line, the mtDNA.
Anyone who has a mother can get their mitochondrial DNA tested.

It's females who need a male relative for paternal lineage because they lack an XY chromosome pair. (The have an XX instead.)

Old 03-11-2013, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,523 times
Dear Friend: It is no wonder you are puzzled as the truth about the Khazars has been covered up for a thousand years. Unlike the American Indians, the Jews, the Mayans and the Minoans, the Khazars were not only the victims of genocide, even their memory was eradicated. I have spent the majority of my adult years tracing the Khazars and visiting their sites in Azerbaijan, Hungary, Belorus (from where my ancestors hail), Romania and Russia and come up with only a handful of Khazar survivors. Wish me luck as I wish you luck as well.
Edward Hirsch
Author, Khazar Eyes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy