U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 04:13 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,020,411 times

Advertisements

We're currently paying about $35/month for the deluxe Ancestory subscription, whatever its called. We're looking to make budget cutbacks, and this in on the short list. However, what happens if we cancel---that is, what happens to the stored data, trees, etc? Is there any way to save it, or is it all lost? Is there any app I can download and store my already compiled information? I'd hate to lose everything I've put so much time, effort, and money into.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 06:42 PM

952 posts, read 1,863,575 times
You can download a trial version of Legacy Family Tree for free. You might be able to transfer your info as a GEDCOM file from Ancestry to Legacy. Here is the site for Legacy Family Tree Legacy Family Tree Genealogy Software

Old 03-07-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
You can download a trial version of Legacy Family Tree for free. You might be able to transfer your info as a GEDCOM file from Ancestry to Legacy. Here is the site for Legacy Family Tree Legacy Family Tree Genealogy Software

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. I wonder if I start ancestory again if I could reload it back? Of course, ask ancestory, but they want to save the sale!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:17 PM

394 posts, read 1,296,296 times
I've been a member of Ancestry several times over the years, and my information has always remained there even when I wasn't a member, and you can access your AncestryDNA information too.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:39 AM

8,220 posts, read 12,809,728 times
All your data will remain - you'll still have access to your tree and you'll be able to edit it too, you can manually add records from other sources.

Here is Ancestry.com explanation of what happens when you cancel a subscription:

What happens to my tree after I cancel my Ancestry subscription?

Quote:
What will be available?

Once you have cancelled your subscription with Ancestry, you will still be able to sign in to the account with your username and password as a Registered Guest. You will still be able to build your tree, see if you have new hints, and search any of the free databases that we have on the site.

Tree Maintenance

We understand the effort that it takes to build and maintain a family tree, and want to be sure that the results of that effort are preserved. We will keep your tree on the site even when you no longer have a subscription. You will be able to do the following things with your tree as a registered guest.

Add and remove people and photos in your tree
Change names, dates, and other facts
Change the name of your tree (view the last section of the linked article for instructions)
Invite friends and family to view your tree
Instructions on all of these features can be found by clicking here.

Hints

You will be able to see if there are new hints available to view in your tree. You will not be able to open or attach these hints without a subscription. We are constantly adding to and updating the records available on the site, and you may be able to find a new piece of information that was not previously available.

Free Databases

There are a many free databases on the site. As a registered guest you will still be able to search these databases and attach information from them to your tree. Most of the free record databases will be index lists which you can use to find the original record from the owners of that record set.

Learning Center

Our Learning Center is a wonderful resource to our members that would like to know more about using Ancestry.com or genealogy research in general. We make the tutorials, articles, and videos in the Learning Center available to everyone free of charge.

What will not be available?

You will still be able to search the site and see what records match those searches, but will no longer able to view the original image or transcription of the record. You will no longer be able to pull up record matches either through hints, or through searches on the site, unless the hints or search results are from any of the free databases on the site. You will not be able to attach the records from the hints, or search results.

You will not be able to view records obtained from our website that are already attached to your tree. The records will still be attached and all of the information you have already obtained will still be in your tree, but you will not be able to view the original image or transcription.

Note: Any source media that you have downloaded and attached to your Family Tree Maker tree will still be viewable. Trees that are downloaded and synced using Family Tree Maker 2012 or Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 will automatically download and attach all source images to the tree file on your computer. For more information regarding downloading source media into your Family Tree Maker, please see the articles below, organized by version:

Family Tree Maker for Mac
Family Tree Maker 2010-2012
You will not be able to send messages to other members through the Ancestry.com messaging service. You will be able to respond to any messages sent to you, but you will not be able to initiate a new message.

You will not be able to use the Ancestry.com message boards. If you would still like to be able to interact with others that can help you further you genealogy you can visit RootsWeb.com Home Page. This is a free site that we host where you can post messages, GEDCOM files, and more.
And this is the info from Ancestry.com which details what is available to members with a free account, what they call a "registered guest" account: Ancestry Guest Registration

Quote:
1. Access certain free databases (1880 U.S. Federal Census Index; WWI Civilian Draft Registrations; and so forth). For more information on accessing these free databases, please click here.

2. Use the Ancestry Member Trees feature in any of the following ways.

-Build a personal member tree, whether from scratch or by uploading a GEDCOM file
-Share your Family Tree with family or friends
-View another user's Family Tree if you received an invitation from that tree's owner
-Respond to someone who contacted you, requesting permission to view your Family Tree
-View any record linked to a Family Tree to which you have been invited, provided the person owning that tree has some kind of paid account on Ancestry
-View any photos attached to a Family Tree that you have been invited to view
-For more details on the Ancestry Member Tree, please click here.

3. Email members who have chosen to share their email address publicly. (For information about how publicly viewable email addresses differ from the Ancestry connection service, please click here.)

4. Respond to any email sent, even if sent via an anonymous user in the Connection Service.

5. Post messages on the Ancestry Message Boards (and otherwise participate in the general Ancestry Community).

6. Access valuable family history resources in the Ancestry Learning Center.

7. Purchase, install, and use the Family Tree Maker, including our new versions with the TreeSync feature.

8. Continue your learning with tips from our experts on the Ancestry.com Blog.

9. Learn more about your genetic genealogy with AncestryDNA.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:45 AM

6,415 posts, read 10,037,563 times
Just for anyone reading this thread (because I know this is off topic), but paying monthly is the most expensive way to subscribe to Ancestry. Current rates at Ancestry are:

...........................US membership....---....World membership
monthly....................22.95 mo.....................34.95 mo.
6-month....................12.95 mo.....................24.95 mo.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 AM

2,199 posts, read 2,272,314 times
I'll second enrico's comments. Do you need the World membership or would the US suffice? Given the savings, why not pay for 6 months at a time?

Also, I purchased the Family Tree Maker software 2012. The current version is $30-70 on Amazon (depending on what features you want), or $40 via download from ancestry. You can download your tree and all the supporting documents and photos that are on your ancestry tree to your computer. You can sync the tree with your ancestry tree if you want, or just use the tree on your computer. The tree on your computer can be maintained, changed, etc. without any connection to ancestry if you want (including adding more documents and photos).

Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I'll second enrico's comments. Do you need the World membership or would the US suffice? Given the savings, why not pay for 6 months at a time?

Also, I purchased the Family Tree Maker software 2012. The current version is $30-70 on Amazon (depending on what features you want), or $40 via download from ancestry. You can download your tree and all the supporting documents and photos that are on your ancestry tree to your computer. You can sync the tree with your ancestry tree if you want, or just use the tree on your computer. The tree on your computer can be maintained, changed, etc. without any connection to ancestry if you want (including adding more documents and photos).

I appreciate your comments, but we are under a great deal of financial pressure right now. We're cutting out anything we can, with the option we can add it back later. We've also cut out cable and phone landline. However, i'm finding one can't entirely cut out an entire category, in this case, entertainment. its like trying to save money by not eating I might try just cutting back to US only. I am finding clues to other countries I'd like to explore, but perhaps just concentrate on US for now---that's a savings of, ~ $15/month. We do need something for entertainment, and ancestery is a hobby for me.

Or, just get 6-month US membership, that's about the same as 2 month's world, paying /month!

Old 03-08-2013, 05:25 PM

1,828 posts, read 850,174 times
I drop my ancestry subscription and use free trials to other sites on a regular basis. It gives me a chance to try fresh resources.

Everything is there when I renew.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:59 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,037,563 times
I agree that subscribing to Ancestry is a luxury, and can perfectly understand that people can't always afford it. Or often, even if they can afford it, if they don't use it so often, why waste the money. Almost every is likely to have a library of some sort nearby where they can use it for free.

However, it is my one splurge. But well worth the price as I use it daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy