Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 04:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

A few days ago, my sister and I were discussing the features we inherited from each side of the family.

I inherited a cleft chin like my dad, type O blood, my dad's nose. My sister got my dad's face shape, mom's nose. I got mom's face shape....etc....

Growing up, there was one thing that was a little "off" about my sister and I. We have almond shaped eyes. My parents and all of my immediate family on both sides have round eyes. (The other weird feature we have is lighter lips. Everyone in our family tends to have the darker lips, and we are lighter/pinkish naturally)

My aunt would comment all the time about our eye shape "where did you guys get that!"

So my sister and I would joke that my mom had an affair with the an Asian mail man or something.

Anyway, in my 20s we uncovered a pic of our Great great grandfather (my Dad never met him, he passed away before he was born). And he had almond shaped eyes. Mystery solved. Well that one anyway. We haven't figured out the lip tone mystery yet.

How about you? Do you have any "strange" features that don't mesh with your family? Unusual recessive traits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 12:00 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,418 times
Well, I'm O neg. Rh- blood isn't so rare in Caucasians, but it is in other groups. So there's that.

About 4 generations back beyond my paternal grandmother are the Coles. I saw photographs of both and they gave me the chils... it was like looking at my grandmother, and to lesser extent me. And now my younger daughter has that same unique face shape and brow bone. Those two could have been brother and sister, for as much as they looked alike, and that double punch has held true for a century so far.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:14 PM

I am walking recessive gene. . O-positive blood. Cleft chin. Attached earlobes. Nearsighted. ...

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:33 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Recently I have been sorting out a lifetime's worth of family photos, so I have quite an array of how I looked at each age and through the years.

In my grade school years, I looked very much my mother's child. But in jr. and sr. h.s. the shape of my face, my height, and my looks changed so that I looked very much like my paternal cousins.

Now what I have found photos of my father's family it seems a bit strange. As a young man I bear a striking resemblence to my grandmother's brothers when they were young men. It would be difficult past my middle twenties to see me as a member of my mother's father, I resemble them not at all - neither my aunts nor my cousins.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:05 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,533 times
I have a few, I have red hair, both my parents have dark brown hair, All of my grandparents have dark or light brown hair, my mother's siblings all have dark brown hair, yet they each had a child with red hair, then my son got the red hair, and I have 3 cousins with red hair.

I have blue eyes, my parents both had brown eyes, I believe my mom's mother has blue eyes, and my dad's mom as well.

I am left handed, I only have one uncle on my mother's side that is left handed, the rest of the family are right handed.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:18 AM

313 posts, read 329,519 times
Where did your Grandfather get his almond shaped eyes from? care to post an image or one similar? You might have distant Native American ancestry or Asian.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:06 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Some caucasians have slanted eyes, not just Asians. Tends to be an eastern European thing. That doesn't mean all eastern Europeans have the feature though. The further east you go as Caucasians meet Siberians and other groups, the more likely that feature is. As far as the Europeans are concerned, they can be blond and blue eyed, but those blue eyes may be slanted. It's an adaptation to really cold weather.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:45 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
A few days ago, my sister and I were discussing the features we inherited from each side of the family.

I inherited a cleft chin like my dad, type O blood, my dad's nose. My sister got my dad's face shape, mom's nose. I got mom's face shape....etc....

Growing up, there was one thing that was a little "off" about my sister and I. We have almond shaped eyes. My parents and all of my immediate family on both sides have round eyes. (The other weird feature we have is lighter lips. Everyone in our family tends to have the darker lips, and we are lighter/pinkish naturally)

My aunt would comment all the time about our eye shape "where did you guys get that!"

So my sister and I would joke that my mom had an affair with the an Asian mail man or something.

Anyway, in my 20s we uncovered a pic of our Great great grandfather (my Dad never met him, he passed away before he was born). And he had almond shaped eyes. Mystery solved. Well that one anyway. We haven't figured out the lip tone mystery yet.

How about you? Do you have any "strange" features that don't mesh with your family? Unusual recessive traits?
My son was born with blond hair and blue eyes.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvocatusCenturion View Post
Where did your Grandfather get his almond shaped eyes from? care to post an image or one similar? You might have distant Native American ancestry or Asian.
A pic is in my profile.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:59 PM

My sister also has sandy reddish brown hair. I have pitch black hair. But the same great grandfather had the same hair.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy