U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 12:04 PM

11,430 posts, read 19,443,622 times

Advertisements

I was printing up a genealogy for a cousin and started toodling around with it again and found that someone had a public tree with almost the exact information I had... without the horrible mistakes I found on so many of the copy and paste trees...

Until I found a great great grandfather. They had him widowed living with his daughter (correct) at the same time his wife was in a city 200 miles away unmarried.

Everything else about this tree is spot on... I guess this is a reminder we can ALL make big mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 04:52 AM

8,222 posts, read 12,809,728 times
Well, keep in mind it's not impossible for a couple to separate and report themselves widowed since separation and divorce was taboo and they didn't want anyone to know. I had a situation like this in my tree. It probably IS just an error but unless you have the correct death record saying his wife definitely died on x date, I would look into before immediately dismissing it.

I had a situation in my tree where I thought my great great grandfather died in 1921 but then I found him on the 1930 census - turns out that there was someone else by the exact same name who was born around the same time and lived in the same city and he is the one who died in 1921, not my ancestor! Before I discovered this, had I found him in someone else's tree with the 1930 census attached, I might have presumed their tree was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Everything else about this tree is spot on... I guess this is a reminder we can ALL make big mistakes.
Well said. There was recently a blog entry on ACOM about how even the most experienced genealogists can make mistakes.

http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2...ry.com+blog%29

Quote:
Of course, my first reaction was an internal roll of the eyes and the arrogant thought that I would educate her about how to do real genealogy research. I immediately navigated to the man in question in my family tree. As I began to review my research notes so I could craft a response to her (and I make extensive notes in Family Tree Maker on every person I research), I had the fleeting thought that maybe I shouldn’t have made my family tree public because clearly this woman didn’t know what she was doing and she was probably going to attach someone from my tree to someone in her tree when it was obvious that they were not the same person.

As I read my notes my ego quickly deflated to an appropriate level.
So many people are quick to criticize other people's trees when they themselves probably have errors in theirs too. It's true that some people make some pretty careless and obvious mistakes, usually because they are not that interested or involved in the work it takes to really investigate records. Some more dedicated genealogists just love to jump on their high horse and look down their noses at these people but you know, not everyone has as much time, energy, interest, or money to dedicate to it as we do. It's a hobby for most of us and everyone is entitled to take their hobbies as far as they want to or are able to.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:51 AM

38,684 posts, read 45,045,110 times
One of my grandmothers had a child, was not married, but on all the old census records she is listed as married.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:58 PM

10,494 posts, read 10,070,117 times
I just wish people would look to the dates that their ancestors are born and have died.... I had one in my family tree, where the father had died two years before the son was born...... And father and son had both the same name... Son was a junior......... Now how is that possible....

Old 03-20-2013, 03:53 AM

8,222 posts, read 12,809,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I just wish people would look to the dates that their ancestors are born and have died.... I had one in my family tree, where the father had died two years before the son was born...... And father and son had both the same name... Son was a junior......... Now how is that possible....
Ahem, like I say...

Quote:
It's true that some people make some pretty careless and obvious mistakes, usually because they are not that interested or involved in the work it takes to really investigate records. Some more dedicated genealogists just love to jump on their high horse and look down their noses at these people but you know, not everyone has as much time, energy, interest, or money to dedicate to it as we do. It's a hobby for most of us and everyone is entitled to take their hobbies as far as they want to or are able to.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:19 PM

2,833 posts, read 4,024,186 times
Yes, one really has to double check the sources, I had come across a family member on another tree to where she had died a couple of years before giving birth to her daughter. These types of mistakes are typical when one just cuts and pastes with out checking.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:45 AM

10,494 posts, read 10,070,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Yes, one really has to double check the sources, I had come across a family member on another tree to where she had died a couple of years before giving birth to her daughter. These types of mistakes are typical when one just cuts and pastes with out checking.

Exactly what I'm talking about, you try to be as accurate as you can when going back and checking on birth and death dates and then do the comparison with other trees and find out that somebody has not paid any attention to the dates, it can get very frustrating sometimes.....

Old 03-21-2013, 11:48 PM

21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times
Quote:
Exactly what I'm talking about, you try to be as accurate as you can when going back and checking on birth and death dates and then do the comparison with other trees and find out that somebody has not paid any attention to the dates, it can get very frustrating sometimes.....
Or sometimes wrong dates are just typos.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:37 AM

4,135 posts, read 9,118,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
One of my grandmothers had a child, was not married, but on all the old census records she is listed as married.
My husband's grandparents are married right before the 1910 census. Obviously, they were not home when the census taker showed -- at the same address, one is listed "single" and one "married" -- same last name. We have no idea who gave the misinformation.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:29 AM

16,484 posts, read 15,923,785 times
Quote:
I wonder if it wasn't one of those l - o - n - g pregnancies that you sometimes hear about (for example when the father is away in the military). But 24 months (minus 9 months) does seem pretty long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or