Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:08 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
How much do DNA tests for ethnicity cost?
The autosomal test cost $99 from Ancestry.com or FamilyTreeDNA.com. Ancestry.com frequently has sales for $89, $79, and even $69, so I would wait for one of the sales to buy it if I were you. 23andMe.com costs $199, but you get extras with that - health info, plus an estimated Y and/or MT haplogroup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ2 View Post
If you look like a white, you are white. You don't need a DNA test.
The DNA test is about much more than this.

You have never posted in the genealogy section of this forum before, so I'm wondering what your true motivation is for suddenly commenting here and trying to make this topic into something it's not.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:03 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ2 View Post
If you look like a white, you are white. You don't need a DNA test.
Race is not Ethnicity.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:12 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,371 times
Is the test done from 23andMe.com both sides of the family? I didn't realize some only did one side or another.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
Is the test done from 23andMe.com both sides of the family? I didn't realize some only did one side or another.
Yes, the autosomal test which 23andMe, FTDNA, and Ancestry.com offer will provide results from all branches of your tree.

To clarify, the other types tests (yDNA and mtDNA) only provide results on the direct paternal or direct maternal lines. IE, your father's father's father's, etc - or mother's mother's mother's, etc. They do not include your entire paternal or maternal sides (like your mother's father's side, or your father's maternal side).

Old 11-11-2015, 06:03 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
set aside a time when you can use a two week free trial at Ancestry.com.

its free at public libraries

Old 11-11-2015, 06:38 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
its free at public libraries
I am assuming anyone who posts here has internet access. Th library version does not offer all the features of the individual subscription service. In addition, libraries may limit the length of time you may be online.

Ancestry VS. Ancestry Library Edition (ALE))

Old 11-11-2015, 07:23 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
A DNA test can't determine your ethnicity.

You could be ethnically German but have mostly Mediterranean and Slavic ancestry for example.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:39 AM

258 posts, read 299,469 times
So, is there a way for me to look specifically at my paternal genetic makeup? I am female-- I would assume I would need to have either my brother or father submit their DNA, correct?

I have done my maternal side pretty far back, but I have hit a wall when it comes to my paternal side. I have gotten to the first ancestor to come to America. Unfortunately, all I have been able to find on him is that he was a lone 12-yr old stowaway on a passenger ship. I am unable to find where, geographically, he came into the country, and our surname could have had several variations. When I did my Ancestry.com DNA test, it showed that I had 7% Scandinavian, 7% Great Britain, 31% Western European and, of all things- 37 % Irish (and a smattering of smaller ancestries). My mother's side is completely German with a little bit of Scandinavian. We have the paper trail going back many generations. I grew up being told by my father's side that we were completely German-- which I never questioned, because our last name is very German sounding. However, with this 37% Irish finding, I've started to maybe think this is the country where my paternal ancestor came from.

Has anyone on here gotten a DNA result that didn't match up to what you had researched?

Old 11-12-2015, 01:29 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
But whats making me kind of wary about the my results is because my great grandfather was white on my grandmothers paternal side, and that my great great mother (on my grandmother MATERNAL) side was European too.
So I thought that I would have a little bit more European ancestry like in the 25%-35% range and the rest would be of African descent.

I think your math is wrong and 15% sounds right. If your father was white and your mother was black that would be 50%, if only one of your grandparents was white it would be 25%, since yours is great and great great than 15% sounds correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy