U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 03:19 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,026,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
^
That is a valid surname. There are families in England with the surname English.
But try searching on the surname, and expecting to get relevant results...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 08:50 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,972,245 times
Sounds like a valid idea - kind of nice putting it all into a scrapbook type form. I am 3/4 Irish descent, but do not have much other than what counties they are from. Although we do have some distant relatives over there still.
Because of the clan names it is exceedingly difficult to research. I am having best luck with the Roman Catholic parishes, the RCs keep meticulous records on everything. If you could offer services where you do parish lookups, that could be helpful.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 PM
bjh

26,487 posts, read 22,870,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
But try searching on the surname, and expecting to get relevant results...
Yes, I see your point. Almost sounded like it was an adopted name, rather than the one they brought over. Anyway if searching in a database interface at sites like familysearch.org, users can specify the search by exact name in the name field. Should show names, not nationalities. Should. People who search with names like Smith and Jones have my sympathy, too.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:23 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,026,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Yes, I see your point. Almost sounded like it was an adopted name, rather than the one they brought over. Anyway if searching in a database interface at sites like familysearch.org, users can specify the search by exact name in the name field. Should show names, not nationalities. Should. People who search with names like Smith and Jones have my sympathy, too.
I discovered it by chance, as the Great Great Grandmother had married a few months before the census, but had a younger sister in the household because their mother had died. It was later confirmed by additional family records. There were others in up-state New York that had the surname they were loosely associated with (but earlier immigration groups by their place of birth), as well as a farm owner in Iowa that lived close by, but I never have found the link.

Only on sites that have a field for surnames (I am very familiar with FamilySearch and Ancestry) have I gained better results for that particular surname...

The younger sister was an interesting case on her own. She had a big wedding in her early 40's, but a decade later the husband had the marriage annulled. She had lived with another man since her 20's (even during the later marriage), producing five children, which the court ruled invalidated the marriage.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:35 PM
bjh

26,487 posts, read 22,870,826 times
^
Blimey!

One possibility you may already know about is to search on Google as an exact phrase, which you do here: Google Advanced Search or by typing a name in within quotes. When doing a Google search with an ancestor's name I often use the word genealogy with it to cut down on the hits for currently living people with the same name. So for instance I might type in something like: "robert irish" genealogy. Or add a town name, a spouse or child's first name, especially if unusual, or an occupation along with the name as a phrase and the word genealogy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy