U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 03:35 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,152,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I always figured if my name was Gay, I would change it to the West African "Guye."
Tyson Gay doesn't seem to bothered. Perhaps his dad called him Tyson to make up for the Gay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I would!

But I am a man that has actually had a full legal name change. I didn't like my first, middle, or last name that my parents gave me and they were very normal American names! I changed all three when I was 23 years old. I have no regrets.
Hi there, Metta World Peace.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:53 PM

952 posts, read 1,862,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
What's so repulsive about Whitehead? Do you think white-haired people are repulsive?
I've heard of pimples referred to as "whiteheads", that is probably what they were thinking.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:12 AM

8,216 posts, read 12,800,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I grew up with a pretty hard to pronounce last name (German). Actually, it's not hard to pronounce but people warp it up all the time - they're unsure of themselves when they say it.
I don't understand how some people struggle to pronounce German names when they are so common in the US. Maybe in Texas they are less common but where I'm from in PA, half the people I know have German surnames and yet my maiden name would get mangled all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I still think "Kuntz" is the absolute worst last name, and I can't understand why anyone WOULD'NT change it. But I still encounter it here and there.

I can snicker at "Dickhaus" and "Butts," but Kuntz is in a different league altogether!
Case in point right here. Kuntz is pronounced with an "oo" sound, not an "uh" sound. Like Koontz. In fact, Koontz is just an Anglicized spelling of the German name Kuntz, probably some people changed the spelling because the original gets mispronounced too often.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
I've heard of pimples referred to as "whiteheads", that is probably what they were thinking.
OK, I see it now.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 PM

8,093 posts, read 4,446,122 times
we got a Slaughter here, his family was famous during the early years, first sheriff of the county and fought with andrew jackson. so its a very honored name here

Old 08-23-2013, 03:29 AM

8,216 posts, read 12,800,785 times
I was indexing for FamilySearch and came across the name Sch muck (without the space but apparently this forum thinks that's a dirty word?! This is someone's legitimate surname!). Not surprisingly, the individual was changing it.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:58 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hitler.

Raper.

Slaughter.

Shatraw.

What about Hogshead, or Roach, or Hogg, or Whitehead?

This is my opinion - Life's too short to live it burdened with a last name that would be repulsive and invoke such a negative, or ridiculing response from so many people.

Would you worry about offending members of your family?

Why or why not?
I know people with some of those names, I think most of them find it fun and wouldn't think of changing them. Our granddaughters last name is Murders.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:38 AM

806 posts, read 1,954,359 times
This is a hard decision to make.

I wouldn't want a name that I didn't like but wouldn't want to hurt someone's feelings, as in marriage and last name.

If my parents named me Floozie, I would change it!

Old 08-23-2013, 07:58 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,001,259 times
Without reading the entire thread to see if it's been mentioned, I've always thought "Siemens" would be a horrible name to have.

Ditto Weiner and Hyman.

Bill Lear of LearJet fame named his daughter Shanda. I don't care for cutsie names like that, but probably wouldn't change it if it were mine.

I used to work with a guy named Charlie Titsworth.

Last edited by Dale Cooper; 08-23-2013 at 08:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or