U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 01:40 PM

115 posts, read 160,376 times

Advertisements

LOL!

And let's not forget Long Duk Dong!

Sixteen Candles Movie Long Duk Dong What's Happening Hotstuff - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 06:28 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,075,396 times
Tar'je and Jacque P'nay have been around for years. Bu, Gay, Pigg, Hogg, and some of the others were first generation Colony settlers who came beginning in the 1600s. They came from Western Europe: England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France, Nederland, Luxembourg. the Low countries, and Germany, but not Russians. They came by boat to east coast, and the came through Canada and then into the United States.

More than a few were forced to trade a family naming history for a surname because it was demanded by the King, and thence over the years the names lost their uniqueness and began to be known by the Englsh version of their name.

Thus Dirckson became Longstreet, Laenen became Van Pelt, Laan became Lane. Lambert became Smith, Jansz became Jansson, and Janse became Conover after 200 years.

The forced end of the patronymic naming system is why it is difficult to trace family genealogy much before 1700. If we can find 4 or 5 generations we are doing good research. Even the best rearch cannot turn a sows ear into silk purse IF no family history, no family bible, no family church records, no family land Deeds or Wills exist.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:09 PM

1,459 posts, read 2,120,147 times
I would not change my name unless it was truly terrible. Hitler level only.

Hogg, Head, Roach, I'd keep 'em. My name has been carried by generations and I'm not going to toss that away.

I'm still smarting at taking my husband's name. I'm American by birth, English by descent, and now I'm walking around with a Polish name. It isn't me.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:33 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,520,511 times
I grew up knowing people surnamed Raper, Slaughter, Pigg, Flucky, and it didn't appear to bother them. In fact, some of the Piggs are notoriously popular pit-masters (bbq). LOL!!!

Of all of them, I think Hitler would be the one I'd consider changing.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:21 AM

89 posts, read 167,219 times
A lot of Asian surnames are bound to elicit snickers in Western circles:

Take****a (Japanese for "under the bamboo") (the censored word rhymes with "mitt")
Dong (Chinese)
Hung (Chinese)
Long (Chinese first name, it sounds okay until paired with Dong)
Mi-Suk (Korean first name)

I'm not a fan of Roach, Hogg, Hicks, Pigg, Pigford, or names associated with controversial politicians like Helms, Hussein, Castro, etc.

I'm a male, so I wouldn't be changing my name. But if my last name was unusually difficult to spell, I'd consider doing it.

Last edited by mazerunner; 04-12-2013 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: The Japanese surname I posted got censored; no malice was intended!

Old 04-12-2013, 11:45 PM

5,368 posts, read 4,867,724 times
I would!

But I am a man that has actually had a full legal name change. I didn't like my first, middle, or last name that my parents gave me and they were very normal American names! I changed all three when I was 23 years old. I have no regrets.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazerunner View Post
A lot of Asian surnames are bound to elicit snickers in Western circles:

Take****a (Japanese for "under the bamboo") (the censored word rhymes with "mitt")
Dong (Chinese)
Hung (Chinese)
Long (Chinese first name, it sounds okay until paired with Dong)
Mi-Suk (Korean first name)

I'm not a fan of Roach, Hogg, Hicks, Pigg, Pigford, or names associated with controversial politicians like Helms, Hussein, Castro, etc.

I'm a male, so I wouldn't be changing my name. But if my last name was unusually difficult to spell, I'd consider doing it.
My ex boyfriend has this name (I think I am the only one on this side of the ocean that knows) and I still tease him about it to the day. Ding Dong!!! lol.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:49 PM

A lot of people are saying they would change their last name if it was Hitler. I wonder how much time will have to pass for the negative connotations connected with that name to diminish. I don't see people with the last name Jackson rushing to change it because Andrew Jackson wiped out most of America's Natives.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:06 AM

11,427 posts, read 19,438,504 times
My high school nurse was named Fonda Jones. She married during the summer and came back to school with the name Fonda R a p e. I SO wish I was kidding.

My husband went to school with a kid named Harry. Not Harold, not Harrison.... Harry. Harry Wolfe.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:34 AM

9,454 posts, read 15,015,271 times
Reminds me of a wealthy family from Galveston, tehir last name was Hogg. Bad enough, but he named his daughter IMA and Youra I don't think either daughter got married, but they inherited Daddy's wealth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or