U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:09 PM

3,280 posts, read 4,600,818 times

Advertisements

The word "Gay" has only taken on its current meaning, in the last generation. There is a "Gay Street" in Baltimore, also a man named Connie B. Gay used to be a promoter of country-western concerts, and another man surnamed Gay, a few years ago, got tired of being teased, and fired a gun in a gay bar in Roanoke, VA.

Another funny surname is Glasscock. Drinkwater, Rainwater, Organic, and Barefoot are also surnames.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 07:18 PM

1,796 posts, read 6,067,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Another funny surname is Glasscock. Drinkwater, Rainwater, Organic, and Barefoot are also surnames.
Another very different last name: Redtinsoldier - pronounced red-tin-soldier.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:13 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,070,616 times
Gay is a very old English name that appeared in the Colonies in the 1600s. My cousin's married name is Gay. He was a well respected journalist and writer before he died.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:54 AM

487 posts, read 653,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
My mother had a cousin whose name was Harry Dick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERSNAP1963 View Post
Kathryn, what a cute name for a character, was she constantly contradicting herself? he he

I am wondering if there might be a fellow named Harry Balls out there somewhere? Either that or it would also make a great name for a Detective in a historical mystery novel.
There was a guy listed in the Chicago phone book (40 years ago) called Harry B____S.
Can you imagine the crank phone calls he got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I just remembered another one: Kuntz

If this were my last name, I'd definitely have to change it. I once worked with a girl back in college who had this as a surname, and she hated it.
Yes, there was a manager who's last name was Kuntz and to make matters worse his first name
didn't help either. It was horrible paging him on the intercom.....you could hear people laughing
in the building.

This was fun.
Anita Leave

Old 04-16-2013, 08:52 AM

40,879 posts, read 32,642,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I would!

But I am a man that has actually had a full legal name change. I didn't like my first, middle, or last name that my parents gave me and they were very normal American names! I changed all three when I was 23 years old. I have no regrets.
Good for you!

We have an interesting situation in our family. My oldest son despises his father (my ex husband) - and for good reason. He loves my father, his grandfather, who has been much more of a dad and role model to him than his biological dad.

My son is seriously considering changing his last name to my former family surname. I am trying to stay out of the decision making completely, but inwardly I am proud of him for having the nerve to live by his principles.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Funny, I had NEVER heard of the last name Turnipseed until we moved to the South!! When I first heard the name mentioned, I silently laughed to myself. It sounded so funny to me.
I would be willing to bet that many of those Turnipseeds came from Switzerland originally!

Old 04-16-2013, 08:55 AM

15,226 posts, read 23,743,496 times
I think some last names are really stupid, and makes on wonder why they were never changed in the first place.

I had a friend in HS, his last name was "Watt". Kenny, what is your last name? Watt. No Kenny, what is your last name?, My last name is Watt.

pretty dumb.

another friend in HS, last name was "Butt", i am assuming it was shortened from some ethnic last name, Buttafucco, perhaps....but never the less, to go thru school with a last name like Butt. OMG

My mothers first BF his last name was "Stump", OMG, thank goodness she didn't marry him, I would never have of wanted the last name like "Stump", I would have changed it at 18.

Luckily my Mother married a Greek man and we now have a great ethnic Greek last name....

I dont get, the really stupid last manes, there should be no reason for it.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:11 AM

6,219 posts, read 7,395,658 times
My boys went to elementary school with a girl named Rose Carnation. Who does that?!

One Dtr-in-law's maiden name was Gay.

Used to work with a girl, she got married and her new name was Hiney. When she got pregnant, the name suggestions were flying - my favorite was Ophelia. I think she chose Carol.

Growing up in Philadelphia, there was a tailor on the corner and the sign in the window told everyone his name was Bratspis.

And then there is Amanda Picker. Not so bad, right? Amanda Lynn Picker? NOooooooo.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:40 PM

I would DEFINITELY change my last name if it was Hiney. No ifs, ands, or...BUTTS!

Old 04-16-2013, 10:49 PM

8,574 posts, read 5,111,549 times
Default Different Dicks

I worked in the insurance field for over thirty years. In one company in Ohio, our Underwriting Vice President was named Dick Wilt---and he was about 5' 6" tall with a fiery temper and an insanely one track mind.

Years later I worked for a company in Colorado where the executive vice president's name was Dick Rock.

I always felt when it came to Dicks I'd rather be known as Rock than Wilt.

And finally for all you that named Hogg as a tough name to live with, here's this:

Quote:
Ima Hogg (July 10, 1882 August 19, 1975), known as "The First Lady of Texas",[1] was an American philanthropist, patron and collector of the arts, and one of the most respected women in Texas during the 20th century.[2] Hogg was an avid art collector, and owned works by Picasso, Klee, and Matisse, among others. Hogg donated hundreds of pieces of artwork to Houston's Museum of Fine Arts and served on a committee to plan the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. An enthusiastic collector of early American antiques, she also served on a committee tasked with locating historical furniture for the White House. She restored and refurbished several properties, including the Varner plantation and Bayou Bend, which she later donated to Texas arts and historical institutions who maintain the facilities and their collections today. Hogg received numerous awards and honors, including the Louise E. du Pont Crowninshield Award from the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the Santa Rita Award from the University of Texas System, and an honorary doctorate in fine arts from Southwestern University.

Hogg was the daughter of Sarah Ann "Sallie" Stinson and James Stephen "Big Jim" Hogg, later Attorney General of Texas and Governor of the state. Ima Hogg's first name was taken from The Fate of Marvin, an epic poem written by her uncle Thomas Hogg. She endeavored to downplay her unusual name by signing her first name illegibly and having her stationery printed with "I. Hogg" or "Miss Hogg".
Ima Hogg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And my father was Gay---in that it was his given name--and he was from Louisiana. I always thought it was not only unusual but limited strictly to women. But, no, the town where he lived some of his youth was Denham Springs, LA and there is another male "Gay" with same surname buried in that cemetary--and not a relative of ours either. But my father had a successful career in the USAF and never hid his name from anyone--and really had no problem. He retired in 1964.

Last, I worked several years myself in a medical records department in Colorado as a retirement job. I assembled ER records (back when they were mostly paper) so I saw a lot of names. The most interesting one I ever saw was Candy Barr!

Last edited by Wardendresden; 04-16-2013 at 10:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or